Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 11:07 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times

Advertisements

Oh, also Replay by Ken Grimwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 05:20 AM

55 posts, read 58,331 times
The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration (2010)- author Isabel Wilkerson. A very good read!

Old 08-15-2012, 06:12 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
I have read so many because I read about them here- and since my brain is kind of tired I will name just a few of the more recent ones.
Rules of Civility (I enjoyed reading it, but honestly afterwards I dont think I thought as highly of it- it was well written but just not sure about that one)
The Blackest Bird (this was really not my typical book, but it was very well done and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It also coupled with a bit of history which I really enjoyed)
People who Eat Darkness. ( just finished this one. Definitely not my typical book at all but the story was amazing- non fiction that is hard to believe- but so so well written. It was a great read even if it was not a pleasant topic)
Olive Kitteridge (this was quite a bit ago, so don't remember it too well but I know I enjoyed it)
I am very sure there were many others, but those come to mind readily. I really appreciate all the suggestions for books here.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:08 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Ella Minnow Pea

Absolutely wonderful book. I'm going to read it again. And again. And again...

Old 08-21-2012, 05:33 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
Well I am currently reading Ella Minnow Pea, which I realize reminds me of London, London by Julian Barnes== which was suggested here on these forums.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:47 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I have read so many because I read about them here- and since my brain is kind of tired I will name just a few of the more recent ones.
Rules of Civility (I enjoyed reading it, but honestly afterwards I dont think I thought as highly of it- it was well written but just not sure about that one)
The Blackest Bird (this was really not my typical book, but it was very well done and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It also coupled with a bit of history which I really enjoyed)
People who Eat Darkness. ( just finished this one. Definitely not my typical book at all but the story was amazing- non fiction that is hard to believe- but so so well written. It was a great read even if it was not a pleasant topic)
Olive Kitteridge (this was quite a bit ago, so don't remember it too well but I know I enjoyed it)
I am very sure there were many others, but those come to mind readily. I really appreciate all the suggestions for books here.

mayvene Im so glad that you enjoyed the blackest bird by joel rose I was the one who reccomended it cause I love edgar allen poe and it was suggested to me and the girl who told me about it was blown away by it and so was I so I reccomended it on here cd ... it was an awesome book and i tell everyone about it all the time . I try and give book reccomendations all the time if I know im writing or emailing another book reader ... so thrilled and does my heart good to know that someone else enjoyed it .... im looking for a copy of the blackest bird ...

Old 08-24-2012, 02:11 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
One I decided to pass up due to the C-D comments was 50 Shades of Grey.
I respect the opinions of the everyday avid readers here a lot. Professional critics all develop different criteria over books than readers do.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:28 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Okay, I'm getting toward the end of a book, and have three candidates on deck to be read next. I'm looking for your votes, CD people. All three were bought based on CD recommendations.

The Book Thief
Ella Minnow Pea
Gone Girl

Which one should be next, and why?

Old 08-28-2012, 06:00 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Okay, I'm getting toward the end of a book, and have three candidates on deck to be read next. I'm looking for your votes, CD people. All three were bought based on CD recommendations.

The Book Thief
Ella Minnow Pea
Gone Girl

I haven't read Gone Girl yet, so I'll comment on the other two:

Ella Minnow Pea is along the lines of Come, Thou Tortoise. Quirky, clever, cute.

The Book Thief is one of my favorite books. I cried -- no, I SOBBED -- at parts, particularly at the end.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:08 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post

The Book Thief
Ella Minnow Pea
Gone Girl

All three of these books I learned about here on City Data and have recommended on City Data.

1. The Book Thief is an all time favorite. It was clever but not contrived. My heart was on pins and needles because I cared so much for the main character.

2. Ella Minnow Pea - this book is unbelievably creative and just a delight to read and enjoy.

3. Gone Girl - prepare to do nothing else except read, read, read. So full of twists and turns that I had a very hard time putting it down.

All three are big hits!

And here is some exciting news for my fellow readers - I'm knee deep in a new favorite. I'll share it when I'm done. So, so happily reading right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books