Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 08:26 PM

220 posts, read 282,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post

I'm not sure why I need THREE copies of this book in my house, except that I figure I'll want to give one (or two) as gifts again and don't want to be in search mode for a relatively cheap copy. That said, the two that I bought today cost me next to NOTHING. Two separate resellers on Amazon were practically giving them away -- one for 9 cents, one for $1 -- pllus $3.99 shipping for each. But, still, you can't find one for less than $20 anymore.
Wow, that's cheap. When I bought my copy about a month or so ago it was $7?, which was still cheap but I like to get my used books for, you know, 9 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 07:08 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,629 times
Quote:
So funny that you said that because, just today, I bought TWO more copies of Come, Thou Tortoise. That will make THREE of them in my house, aside from the one that I bought last week on Amazon to have shipped from the U.K. to my friend in NYC. I wanted to replace the one that I lost -- which I got in the mail last week from an eBayer in England -- but now I'm getting not one, but TWO, more.

I'm not sure why I need THREE copies of this book in my house, except that I figure I'll want to give one (or two) as gifts again and don't want to be in search mode for a relatively cheap copy. That said, the two that I bought today cost me next to NOTHING. Two separate resellers on Amazon were practically giving them away -- one for 9 cents, one for $1 -- pllus $3.99 shipping for each. But, still, you can't find one for less than $20 anymore.
I am not alone!! Woo hoo!!!! I continue to look for more copies of The Book Thief when I go to thrift shops.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:30 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
I can't think of another place to post this, so here it is.

I'd like to make a recommendation. If any of you have not read Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner, you don't know what you're missing. So I'll TELL you what you're missing: an absolutely GREAT book.

I read this book a little over a year ago. Over the course of the past year, I've thought about it on many occasions. It is one of the few books that stays in your heart and in your head. Actually, now that I've written that, it occurred to me that this book has stuck in my heart and head more than ANY other book that I've read. It's that good. Yes, it's THAT good. I think each of you will see yourself in one of the four main characters. I did. And the relationships between the characters are... never mind. I won't go on. Just please -- I'm begging you -- if you haven't yet read it, change that. Get the book. Read the book. Trust me.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:36 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
Sold!

(I also like quiet, character-focused stories).

Old 10-09-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Sold!

(I also like quiet, character-focused stories).
I actually thought of you, Tracy, when I (so very strongly) recommended Crossing to Safety, because of what you said about the relationship issues that you (so very clearly) saw in Gone Girl. Crossing to Safety is as far as you can get from Gone Girl in terms of the story and the interactions, but the relationships (both marital and friendship) that are "explained" in this book are exceptional.

I think (and hope) you're going to love it.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:29 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
^^^^^ I just put it on my list.

Last edited by Marlow; 10-10-2012 at 02:15 PM..

Old 10-10-2012, 01:49 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
I follow Dawn's book advice like a duckling!
I am your zombie; recommend more books Master.

(What a mixture of metaphors).

Old 10-10-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I follow Dawn's book advice like a duckling!
I am your zombie; recommend more books Master.

(What a mixture of metaphors).
HAHAHA!! Thank you!

I'm only half way done but I think I can safely say that The End of Your Life Book Club is a winner. I think I've said this already, but it's worth repeating: If you've ever loved, if you've ever loved and lost, and if you love books... you'll love this book. It's about a mother and son who form a "book club" while she's being treated for cancer (and dying). I'd already read many of the books that they mentioned, which was fun to discover. And, only 54% through the book, they "forced" me to buy six (!!!!) that I had not yet read, but sounded fabulous. I'm guessing that I'll be buying more before I finish this one.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:48 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
I just ordered Crossing to Safety from Paperback Swap. My TBR pile is growing and growing.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
HAHAHA!! Thank you!

I'm only half way done but I think I can safely say that The End of Your Life Book Club is a winner. I think I've said this already, but it's worth repeating: If you've ever loved, if you've ever loved and lost, and if you love books... you'll love this book. It's about a mother and son who form a "book club" while she's being treated for cancer (and dying). I'd already read many of the books that they mentioned, which was fun to discover. And, only 54% through the book, they "forced" me to buy six (!!!!) that I had not yet read, but sounded fabulous. I'm guessing that I'll be buying more before I finish this one.
Now that I finished The End of Your Life Book Club, I would like to say again what I said in another thread:

It was good. Not great, but good. He's not a "perfect" writer -- because his conversations with his mother were written from memory, the dialogue was a bit stilted at times. Nobody lets the other person speak in entire PARAGRAPHS during a conversation. But it's a lovely and touching story and I found a lot of interesting books to buy while reading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I just ordered Crossing to Safety from Paperback Swap. My TBR pile is growing and growing.
YAY!!! I think that this may have been my favorite book ever. I'm not sure, but I feel so strongly about it, even after a year since I read it. I think about it all the time, it seems. If it's not my absolute favorite, it's certainly in my All-Time Top 5.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books