Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 12:27 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I think Romeo and Juliet is severely misunderstood by 90% of commentators and 99.99999999999% of high school teachers. Romeon and Juliet are NOT the heroes. R&J should be seen as a satire of the whole "love conquers all" and love excuses any action mentality of so many "romantic" stories.
I agree! I remember in high school I said something in class like "I think Shakespeare just wanted to use these two to teach us a lesson, to teach adults not to think so much like teenagers" and I was given the impression that I was way off-base, that of course R & J were the heroes. When I read it again as an adult, I recognized even more clearly as satire, and knew that I had been correct all those years ago in 9th grade. But then again, I tend to see satire in lots of things people meant literally and genuinely, so who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 01:39 PM

537 posts, read 1,242,557 times
I think this is the second time mentioning Atlas Shrugged on City-Data, but I have to mention it again. I really enjoyed reading The Fountainhead. I enjoyed it so much that I read it three times. Twice when I was 17 and a third time when I was 23. I just identified with Howard Roarke and while the book was very repetitious, I enjoyed the ideas, and it carried a very powerful message that changed my life. I can definitely understand why some people thought the book was awful but for me, it was one of the greatest things I'd ever read.

I think what happened was that I expected Atlas Shrugged to be the same. Along with that, it was just... awful. The characters felt rigid and unreal. I didn't make it to the 67 page long speech but at one point, someone talks on and on making an argument about money being the root of all evil, and I couldn't take it. The book was just spoon feeding me ideas rather than playing with my brain and making me search for them. I also felt like the book had no progression or character development.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:35 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,217,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Brave New World - Im in love with the dystopian novel genre, so I really expected a lot more from this book. Between the incessant whiner (who also happens to be the main character), the short guy with a massive case of Napoleon Complex, the classic Alpha-male who thinks that everyone else is beneath him, and the woman who can't go more than ten minutes without wanting sex, this book should be a finalist for "The Most Unlikeable Main Characters Ever" award.
This one jumped immediately to my mind .......... I really dislike this book, but then again I really don't like much about the way Huxley writes

I saw Catch-22 mentioned and that is an absolute favorite of mine ..... although I really struggled to get through Closing Time and some of his other works just failed to grab me nearly as much

Old 12-26-2013, 02:41 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,271 times
The Bible.

And anything by Hemingway or Herman Melville (Moby Dick, Billy Budd).

Old 12-26-2013, 04:18 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
The Bible.
In all fairness, the Bible is a library of many books, not a book. Tobit is very funny. Jacob's story in Genesis is almost Mel Brooksish in places. Leviticus? Sure fire cure for insomnia.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:41 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,372,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkwithwords View Post
I think this is the second time mentioning Atlas Shrugged on City-Data, but I have to mention it again. I really enjoyed reading The Fountainhead. I enjoyed it so much that I read it three times. Twice when I was 17 and a third time when I was 23. I just identified with Howard Roarke and while the book was very repetitious, I enjoyed the ideas, and it carried a very powerful message that changed my life. I can definitely understand why some people thought the book was awful but for me, it was one of the greatest things I'd ever read.

I think what happened was that I expected Atlas Shrugged to be the same. Along with that, it was just... awful. The characters felt rigid and unreal. I didn't make it to the 67 page long speech but at one point, someone talks on and on making an argument about money being the root of all evil, and I couldn't take it. The book was just spoon feeding me ideas rather than playing with my brain and making me search for them. I also felt like the book had no progression or character development.
Someone thought The Fountainhead was awful??? I've never heard that before. It's been on many "Best Books" lists. I thought it was great.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:49 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,155,603 times
The Great Gatsby.

I read it twice, just to be sure. I didn't like the characters at all, they seemed one-dimensional and flat to me. The denuement was entirely predictable: I didn't think there was much tension.

Studs Lonigan. Just....too much needless detail. I gave up about half-way through.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:52 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
I never did get The Princess Bride, the book, whoever it was that wrote it. I never saw the movie - apparently there was a movie.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:48 PM

253 posts, read 654,924 times
Anything Henry Miller. If there is any author I'd love to punch in the face, it'd be him.

Old 12-29-2013, 09:51 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,159,514 times
"Atonement" by Ian McEwan

I tried to read this book, but couldn't get past the third chapter. I'm not saying he is not a good writer, but I keep imagining him writing with a thesaurus on his lap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books