Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 05:46 PM

2,645 posts, read 3,328,007 times

Advertisements

I always had a "thing" about avoiding series books because I hate reading them out of order. It came from an Iris Johansen Eve Duncan series book I'd picked up not realizing it was a series. As I was reading it, I kept feeling like there was a history between characters I was supposed to know about but didn't. It got distracting so I looked the book up on-line and yes, it was one in the middle of a series.

Since then, I'd sworn off series unless I could read them from the start. Problem is, SO many mysteries and thrillers are series that have been going on for years. And in my efforts to start them from the beginning, I'm getting stuck reading a lot of books that feel dated. For instance, the Michael Connelly Harry Bosch novels. I am enjoying the series, but I'm looking forward to the day Harry Bosch has a cell phone and he doesn't need to keep stopping at pay phones to call the office.

I did read Lisa Gardner's book Hide, which is Book 2 in her D.D. Warren series. Never felt like I was missing anything. So I know some authors do a good job writing a series without forcing the reader to go through the books in order.

Can anyone suggest series they've read out of order without feeling like you're missing out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 12:06 AM
qwy

296 posts, read 520,080 times
Try the Alex Cross books by James Patterson. I read one even though it's not my type of book, it was actually good, and I didn't feel lost with all the back stories because the current mystery was the main focus of the book.

The book I read was run Alex Cross, and there is another one that I found with it called the weasel, so I might check it out.

If you read either let me know, I would love to have someone to talk about the book with

Old 11-14-2014, 04:29 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Alex Cross would work. You can also try Jack Reacher books by Lee Child. His books can easily be read out of order. I really love the Kay Hooper series Bishop/Special Crimes Unit books. I have read them out of order but it might help to at least start with the first one so you know how the unit got started. The first book is Stealing Shadows.

http://www.amazon.com/Stealing-Shado...ealing+shadows

I also really like Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooters series. There are some recurring people but you won't get lost.
SuzanneBrockmann.com Troubleshooters - SuzanneBrockmann.com

I think that if there are more people in the book series then they will have a history and it is usually better to read them in order. If you are going to read them out of order I would at least try to read the first book in each series and then jump around. That seems to work OK for me.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:41 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Agatha Christie's Hercules Poirot as well as Jane Marple books can be read in any order as well.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:40 PM

Thank you, I appreciate the suggestions!

Old 11-19-2014, 08:20 AM

414 posts, read 911,043 times
Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone "Alphabet mystery" series.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
Sue Grafton's Kinsey Millhone "Alphabet mystery" series.
Thank you, this is good to know. Sue's alphabet series is one of them I'd tried to start reading from the beginning, but the first few are so dated, I lost interest. I'm already reading the early Harry Bosch books, so adding another mystery series where they're still going to pay phones is too much for me. I'm going to fast forward myself farther down the alphabet and give her another try.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:12 AM

997 posts, read 1,060,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
For instance, the Michael Connelly Harry Bosch novels. I am enjoying the series, but I'm looking forward to the day Harry Bosch has a cell phone and he doesn't need to keep stopping at pay phones to call the office.
Not sure how far into the series you've gotten, but you might like to know that Michael Connelly is developing a tv series based on the Harry Bosch novels for Amazon. It's set to premiere in February (the pilot episode is already available to watch on amazon video) It takes inspiration from City of Bones and The Concrete Blonde, which is the third Bosch book.

They've cast Titus Welliver as Harry, and as I've watched the pilot, I think he's just perfect in the role. They've updated it to take place in current times, so Harry does have a cellphone

Old 11-19-2014, 11:21 AM

I've only read the first two novels. The Concrete Blonde is next on my list. Interesting to know about the series. You said for Amazon. Is that Amazon Fire TV? I've got that!

Old 11-19-2014, 01:36 PM

997 posts, read 1,060,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
I've only read the first two novels. The Concrete Blonde is next on my list. Interesting to know about the series. You said for Amazon. Is that Amazon Fire TV? I've got that!
It's Amazon Prime Instant Video. Do a search for Bosch in the instant video section.

Here's a link to the pilot: http://www.amazon.com/Pilot/dp/B00I3...ch+prime+video

I know it's free for Prime members, I would imagine if you're not a prime member, you might have to rent it to watch it.

I just received my fireTV stick today!!!! They had a special running a couple weeks ago where prime members could pre-order it for something like half-price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books