Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2008, 01:59 PM

553 posts, read 568,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
They're both brilliant writers. Naipaul writes stuff to enjoy reading and learn something at the same time. Wolcott is pedantic and obtuse. There used to be a little bookstore in Castries, St. Lucia, where Wolcott is from, he's at Boston University, unless he retired, the owner would talk for hours about Wolcott.

Zora Neale Hurston and James Baldwin both had amazing lives. There seems to be a revival of interest in the Harlem Renaissance in my area, especially Hurston.
I am fascinated by the writers of the Harlem Renaissance. I find Nella Larsen particularly interesting...i guess because of the mystery surrounding her early life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 08:28 PM

739 posts, read 2,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yydanay515 View Post
I am fascinated by the writers of the Harlem Renaissance. I find Nella Larsen particularly interesting...i guess because of the mystery surrounding her early life.

Her life circumstances and subject matter resonate with me too, but I didn't know there was a mystery. Copenhagen or Fisk?

Old 01-17-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Her life circumstances and subject matter resonate with me too, but I didn't know there was a mystery. Copenhagen or Fisk?
Many writers believed that her novels were semiautobiographical. So, they tried to piece together her life based on bits and pieces in her novels Quicksand and Passing. Larsen told a lot of "half truths" about her life, i guess she was trying to mask the reality of her difficult childhood.

Copenhagen is definitely one, some believe that she did not visit or live in Denmark during her early years. There is some mystery surrounding her father's heritage. In addition, i have read that her parents actually passed and Peter Larsen was actually Peter Walker (her father).

Last edited by yydanay515; 01-17-2008 at 09:18 AM..

Old 01-17-2008, 12:25 PM

739 posts, read 2,187,017 times
There was a controversy about her being dismissed from Fisk. Maybe noone really knows.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
There was a controversy about her being dismissed from Fisk. Maybe noone really knows.
What was the controversy?

Old 05-25-2008, 09:57 PM

126 posts, read 210,565 times
Default Writers of the Harlem Renaissance: Alain Locke

I have long had an interest in Alain Locke and I post here from a journal, the Baha'i Studies Review(2002), a paragraph from an article on Locke. The article can be googled at: "Alain Locke: Baha'i Philosopher."-Ron Price, Tasmania
-----------------
As “ philosophical mid-wife to a generation of younger Negro poets, writers and artists,” Alain Locke was the ideological mastermind behind the Harlem Renaissance, “ an artistic explosion in the decade following World War I.” In its mythic and utopian sense, Harlem was the “ race capital” and the largest “ Negro American” community in the world. The Harlem Renaissance, consequently, presented itself as a microcosm or “ self-portraiture” of black culture to America and to the world. The movement was an effusion of art borne of the experience of “ even ordinary living” that has “ epic depth and lyric intensity.” As editor of the anthology known as The New Negro, published in December 1925,94 Locke contributed the title essay, which served as a manifesto. For Locke, art ought to contribute to the improvement of life— a pragmatist aesthetic principle Richard Shusterman calls “meliorism.” The Harlem Renaissance— known also as the “ New Negro Movement” — sought to advance freedom and equality for blacks through art. It was “ not just a great creative outburst in the stimulating atmosphere of the 1920s,” it was “ actually a highly self-conscious modern artistic movement.” Locke himself spoke of a “ race pride,” “ race genius” and the “ race-gift.” This “ race pride” was to be cultivated through developing a distinctive culture, a hybrid of African and African American elements. Locke had hoped the Harlem Renaissance would provide“ an emancipating vision to America” and would advance “ a new democracy in American culture.” But the Harlem Renaissance was more of an “ aristocratic” than democratic....check this article out. It's 45 pages long.-Ron

Last edited by RonPrice; 05-25-2008 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: to correct a spelling error

Old 05-26-2008, 05:23 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,888 times
I am also fascinated by Miss Larsen. She was a great writer and led a most interesting life. Check out George Hutchinson's bio on her. Another read that is good is the one by Larson (no relation I think). Those are by far the most informative. And in Hutchinson's work, he discovered that a lot of the so-called "half-truths" that Larsen said about herself were indeed truths.

People accused her of lying about trips to Copenhagen and completing the NY Public Library certificate program. He was able to find records that proved otherwise. She had indeed gone to Copenhagen twice so the details she used in her books particularly Quicksand, were indeed based a lot on her observations and experiences.

Her life was very sad, or at least the end of it. It was surrounded by mystery and she died very lonely and isolated. There was also talk of drug (pill) and alcohol abuse from those closest to her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books