Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you prefer to read books?....
Reading an actual book (hardcover, trade paperback or mass market paperback 13 54.17%
Using a Kindle, Nook, or other electronic device 11 45.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 01:10 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,397,968 times

Advertisements

I have had this discussion with numerous people. I like to read, but I can't see myself reading with a Nook/Kindle/etc. I want an actual paper book. There is just something about a real book that is SO much more satisfying. (I feel the same about a newspaper over reading news on-line, but that's for another discussion.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 07:46 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,846,702 times
Love reading on an e-ink-dedicated e-reader[not a tablet] so soothing to the eyes, and adjustable text size. Plus it's great to read one-handed, a 400+pg book on a nice thin e-reader.

I look to see if my library has the Kindle edition for every book I'm looking to borrow.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:56 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Love reading on an e-ink-dedicated e-reader[not a tablet] so soothing to the eyes, and adjustable text size. Plus it's great to read one-handed, a 400+pg book on a nice thin e-reader.

I look to see if my library has the Kindle edition for every book I'm looking to borrow.
But when they "burn the books" or "ban the books" they'll just zap your e-readers from a distant location. Me, they'll have to pry my books out of my cold dead hands.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:58 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,291,679 times
I will always prefer paper books to e-books. The texture, smell, etc are all part of the experience for me.

That being said I have become somewhat of a convert to an e-ink based reader. As another poster said I wouldn't like reading on a tablet. I read during my lunch hour at work. After finishing a paper book a few months ago I decided to give my wife's unused e-reader a shot. I admit I really like it for reading at work. It takes up less space in my computer bag which makes it easier to transport than a real book. I also like that when I finish a book I can immediately download another. One downside is that I sometimes run out of battery and don't have a charger with me.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
But when they "burn the books" or "ban the books" they'll just zap your e-readers from a distant location. Me, they'll have to pry my books out of my cold dead hands.
Here's a prime example of just what you stated.:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/te.../18amazon.html

Never trust that something you buy digitally will still be there tomorrow.

Last edited by jimdc58; 09-21-2016 at 11:31 AM..

Old 09-21-2016, 03:18 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,846,702 times
Plus I have a phobia about all that paper being a fire hazard, after knowing two families who had a house fire.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Plus I have a phobia about all that paper being a fire hazard, after knowing two families who had a house fire.
I certainly hope this post was a joke. If not, maybe you should sleep with a fire extinguisher tucked under each arm.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:34 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
Here's a prime example of just what you stated.:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/te.../18amazon.html

Never trust that something you buy digitally will still be there tomorrow.
That's from 2009 - Amazon have promised they will never do this again, and they never have so far. Since then, there have been plenty of other instances of people illegally selling ebooks on Kindle, but Amazon have never revoked the books from people's devices. They merely remove the book from further sale now when they find out. Could they always decide to do it again anyway? Sure. But the backlash the first time was so great I don't see them being that stupid. 2009 was still the early days of ebooks and companies were still figuring out how it all would work. They did something they thought was the best legal course of action, realized they were wrong, and have learned from it.

If you're really a tinfoil hat wearer, you can always strip the DRM off your ebooks and back them up to a safe, off-line drive. Amazon can't delete it if you strip the DRM. But personally, I tend to think that I would be more likely to lose all my paper books in a fire than I would be to lose all my digital books in some mass deletion by Big Brother (and yes, the irony of the book which was deleted being 1984 was not lost on me).

Anyway, I almost exclusively read on my Kindle eInk device now. It's easier to hold, easier to carry around, easier to read in my hot tub (just pop it in a ziplock bag), easier on my eyes, less clutter in my house, I never lose my place in a book from the bookmark falling out, I can buy a book from the comfort of my couch and be reading it in seconds, I can find out of print and public domain books which have been revived in ebook format only, and best of all is the discounts. I have not paid more than $5 for a book in years because of the ebook discounts that are frequently on, even for popular mainstream books/authors (not just indie books). I use ereaderiq.com to get alerts about price drops on books I'm interested in - it's a great money saver.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:57 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,025,823 times
I was a hardcore print book lover until I got my Kindle, and I became a fan immediately! I love being able to read whether or not there is ambient light and I really love being able to just press on a word and have it defined, or translated, or have Wikipedia come up with an explanation. It's great. Sometimes I still get print books from the library, and I have found myself a bit frustrated because I can't just hover my finger over the page and get a defitinition.

I also love the fact that if I want to read a book, I can have it in my hands within a minute or two. And I can also download e-books for free from the library--no having to go into town to retrieve or return the book. Plus instant free previews. So satisfying.

The only thing that isn't as good with a Kindle, IMO, is that it's more difficult to see maps and photographs that are included with the book.

Old 09-21-2016, 05:04 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,369 times
I much prefer the nook reader. I had a reference book that was over 12000 pages long. Couldn't do that with books and maintain the same instant cross reference ability. Plus I can carry my multliple book library wherever I go and when my Nook died and I replaced it, my entire library reloaded itself onto my new one from the cloud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books