Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2017, 01:34 PM

393 posts, read 410,442 times

Advertisements

On my march (ha ha) to read the 100 best written books in English, I began tackling Middlemarch. The first 50 pages or so, I was regretting my choice, but I'd give it to 100. Now, one third through the book, I'm loving it. It's rare that a crusty 53 year old man "smiles" when I get to sneak away and read a few pages. This is one of those rare times I started reading a book and just hated it, but it really grew on me. The passages in the book are spiritual, and although the reading is difficult, the book can change people. Anyone else for comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 05:15 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,932,197 times
While I LOVE a huge weighty book, I'll admit that parts of it dragged for me, but at the same time, other parts were so engrossing that I couldn't wait to go to bed at night and read more. I think it might be related to how the book was originally serialized in a literary magazine, so as Eliot wrote it, she probably went through periods or higher and lower energy, motivation, and inspiration.

As a whole, I did enjoy the book, but I enjoyed some characters' stories more than others. There were some characters and storylines that I didn't really care about at all. They were kind of just "clutter" that interrupted the storylines I liked. I wanted more of Mary and Fred, but they stayed "supporting" characters. I always like when a character with lots of faults can truly redeem himself. And I found the ending unsatisfying. I don't want to spoil anything for you, but if you're like me, you might agree that you would write "better" endings for some of the characters.

I think I also felt disappointed by the theme of loss of one's idealism or core values. I "get" that we might be unrealistic when we are younger and idealistic, but if we are consistent people, true to who we are, then we maintain those ideals and core values all our life, though they might get worn-down or bent a little by life experience. But they should not be totally discarded during the process of gaining life experience. Dorothea and Dr. Lydgate are the characters I'm referring to. I just don't like how they each seemed to completely throw away their true beliefs and goals.

I also liked the idea about how a relationship with someone you admire can be MUCH better in your head than when you make it happen in real life. It's a lesson I learned young, and Dorothea learned young, but that I'm continually surprised when others who are middle-aged like me have not learned it. Some relationships should just remain wishful thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books