Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2010, 12:22 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times

Advertisements

I'm digging the Demon Dog's latest offering The Hilliker Curse. It's My Dark Places rehashed with new tidbits of his former scummy self but still a good read.

He's on a tour. So far the only dates are in Cali and NYC. Hope it expands. Check him out if you are able. After attending a reading last year it's never been the same reading his works. Reliving his delivery as I read away enhances the magic of his books.

The artsy folks can have Cormac McCarthy. I'll take Ellroy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 12:41 AM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I'm digging the Demon Dog's latest offering The Hilliker Curse. It's My Dark Places rehashed with new tidbits of his former scummy self but still a good read.

He's on a tour. So far the only dates are in Cali and NYC. Hope it expands. Check him out if you are able. After attending a reading last year it's never been the same reading his works. Reliving his delivery as I read away enhances the magic of his books.

The artsy folks can have Cormac McCarthy. I'll take Ellroy.

Copy that,Big Pete

Old 03-01-2012, 03:51 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Hey- there's nothing wrong with liking both of them!

But I have to say Ellroy usually has a more redemptive ending in his stuff. McCarthy's nihilistic bleakness isn't what I want to dive into on a regular basis.

I also think that between them, Ellroy is a better stylist; I really like how he experiments with the language and it's tempos in his books.

I own an autographed copy of My Dark Places. It's cool, but I didn't know it was autographed when I bought the book.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:10 AM

24 posts, read 45,925 times
i loved No Country...McCarthy does take a certain patience but i feel that way about Ellroy also...i made the mistake of watching an interview with him and that sealed it for me...his writing definitely has a certain style but the author himself rubbed me wrong...

Old 03-08-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff323 View Post
i loved No Country...McCarthy does take a certain patience but i feel that way about Ellroy also...i made the mistake of watching an interview with him and that sealed it for me...his writing definitely has a certain style but the author himself rubbed me wrong...
Given his life story, I'm sure he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way for most of his life.
I remember seeing an interview with him 20 years ago, when he was an up and comer, and he has mellowed considerably since then. Of course 'mellow' is very relative, but I think being married helped him.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:31 AM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,412 times
James is a freak but he can write.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff323 View Post
Relatively few authors have their mother murdered when they were 10, have to go live with their indigent dying father, and end up on the streets for 20 years before their first books sales are enough to provide them with a secure roof over their head.

By all rights, Ellroy should have become a junkie, a criminal, or a lifelong homeless street guy. That he comes across as a little crazy and abrasive seems natural to me. He had more the the number of average demons to purge before he became more acceptably mellowed.

The only other author I can think of whose life was so freakishly screwed up is Mikal Gilmore, murderer Gary Gilmore's little brother. Their family was a real doozey for sure.

Both guys have written about their families. Ellroy wrote My Mother's Murder, and Gilmore wrote Shot In The Heart. Both are as compelling as a pair of Vise Grips to read.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:23 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,989,156 times
The Demon Dog authored an ebook exclusive called Shakedown. It's available on Amazon. Almost makes me want to buy a Kindle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books