Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2018, 05:36 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

I read this book about a year ago--after Trump began his presidency
It is very well researched, easy to read for the most part, and gives insight into how Hitler's early life and political efforts in context of what was going on in Germany and how he might have been misrepresented by some other books...
The last section where Hitler has an intercine war within the German political scene is a hard slog because of the names and the many different political parties--hard for someone only used to D's and R's to keep all the players and their agendas straight

Very interesting to get some background in the type of country Germany was in the time from WWI up until beginning of WW2 and how Hitler was both a product of his time and an outlier...
Germany has many differences from the US which Hitler was able to take advantage of to achieve his ambitions
And it was interesting to see so many correlaries between Hitler's methods/personality and Trump
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 07:18 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
I have read a number of books re Hitler...one regarding his rise....is this new on the market?

The subject still fascinates me....

Old 08-13-2018, 08:21 AM

639 posts, read 248,957 times
I have read several but after while the same old crap gets boring...I prefer at least a neutral viewpoint regardless of who the book is about.

Old 08-13-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanLoyalist View Post
I have read several but after while the same old crap gets boring...I prefer at least a neutral viewpoint regardless of who the book is about.
I don't know what a "neutral" viewpoint could be regarding Hitler--
But The Guardian gave it a very favorable review

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...standing-study

A Holocaust denier might not like it because it is well-researched and accurate--

Old 08-13-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I have read a number of books re Hitler...one regarding his rise....is this new on the market?

The subject still fascinates me....
I think it was released in US in 2016
Released in Europe earlier perhaps

Found this article--
Apparently it was printed in Germany in 2013 but not translated into English until later
It is a LONG book--and first of 2 volumes--and I admit--the latter part after Hitler wins power in the "putsch" become a boondoggle of German names and long names of polical organizations he was in conflict with...I didn't finish the Audible version I was listening to--too confusing to keep them straight...
https://www.nybooks.com/articles/201...-hitlers-rise/

Old 08-13-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I don't know what a "neutral" viewpoint could be regarding Hitler--
But The Guardian gave it a very favorable review

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...standing-study

A Holocaust denier might not like it because it is well-researched and accurate--
I wish Irving would write one...he has written several on other members of the inner party etc but never one on Hitler himself which I always found weird.

I have never READ any of these nor know much about them or the author but its what comes up when I google it

The Triumph of Reason - The Thinking Man's Guide to Adolf Hitler
Some Thoughts on Hitler and Other Essays
Hitler: Beyond Evil and Tyranny
Germany's Hitler
The Hitler of History
Odyssey Adolf Hitler: The Remarkable Life of Europe's Redeemer
A Concise Biography of Adolf Hitler

Not sure if any are decent or not...might look into some myself.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanLoyalist View Post
I wish Irving would write one...he has written several on other members of the inner party etc but never one on Hitler himself which I always found weird.

I have never READ any of these nor know much about them or the author but its what comes up when I google it

The Triumph of Reason - The Thinking Man's Guide to Adolf Hitler
Some Thoughts on Hitler and Other Essays
Hitler: Beyond Evil and Tyranny
Germany's Hitler
The Hitler of History
Odyssey Adolf Hitler: The Remarkable Life of Europe's Redeemer
A Concise Biography of Adolf Hitler

Not sure if any are decent or not...might look into some myself.
A book calling Hitler Europe's Redeemer isn't neutral...

Old 08-15-2018, 05:43 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Or accurate.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
NONE of the books I have ever read on Hitler are accurate...so. They are ALL biased...Someone interested in the facts would want to read BOTH sides of the story but whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Or accurate.
How do you know? I would look into what facts and sources he has to back up his claims...same with ANY book.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:31 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
I knew I shouldn't have clicked on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books