Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 11:33 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post

Can a movie script be literature? I think so.

Does it lose it's literature status when it's made into a film? I think not. B
Yes, a script is words on a page meant to be read.
It is literature.

It remains words on a page even when it is used to make a movie.
It remains literature.

But the movie that was made from it is not literature.
It is a movie.

The real question is how many words does it take in a graphic novel before it can be considered literary art as opposed to visual art.
But why would it matter?
All that counts is that you gain something from viewing it regardless of whether it's a visual or literary experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 11:47 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
The real question is how many words does it take in a graphic novel before it can be considered literary art as opposed to visual art.
But why would it matter?
All that counts is that you gain something from viewing it regardless of whether it's a visual or literary experience.
Yeah - that's true.
But "literature" aside (although I do believe that I can cite some direct parallels between bona fide literature and comic books) - I have a hard time accepting your notion that comic books, by definition, are not more than "commercial art".
I can't argue that they are necessarily "high art" but I believe that they can be - while advertisements, pamphlets, and training manuals can never reach that status, in my opinion.

Old 04-24-2008, 01:30 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,496,596 times
Have any of you read Ghost World? Do you recommend it?

I've never purchased a graphic novel before, but I saw the Ghost World movie on DVD and was very impressed with it.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Have any of you read Ghost World? Do you recommend it?

I've never purchased a graphic novel before, but I saw the Ghost World movie on DVD and was very impressed with it.
I absolutely recommend it. The author, Daniel Clowes, is a master of the medium.
Be prepared for a more surreal experience than the movie, though.
It also goes much deeper into the psychology of a teenage girl.
An excellent first graphic novel to buy.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I absolutely recommend it. The author, Daniel Clowes, is a master of the medium.
Be prepared for a more surreal experience than the movie, though.
It also goes much deeper into the psychology of a teenage girl.
An excellent first graphic novel to buy.
I was a teenage girl once, can he really teach me anything there?

I put it on my amazon.com list, I look forward to reading it.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I was a teenage girl once, can he really teach me anything there?

I put it on my amazon.com list, I look forward to reading it.
Haha - interesting question.
It is pretty odd that the author is able to display the understanding of teenage girls that he does. Especially since he seems like a pretty cantankerous guy himself.

I don't think he'll teach you anything - but he does a good job of developing his characters in believable ways. Hope you enjoy it.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:21 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,229,511 times
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy
Quote:
But the movie that was made from it is not literature.
It is a movie.
True, not every movie is of 'high quality art'.
Then again, not every literary work is justified to be called literature. Some aspire to be literature but haven't quite reached that level yet.
There are literary writers who use an abundance of words to describe something, but then there also are the minimalists.
Most writers only use words to paint a story, but comic book writers use words AND the visual medium.
I suggest you try Alan Moore's Promethea* where the written word and the graphics tell 'different' stories but totally complement each other.

Besidez, there have been comic issues that haven't used any words at all; they only use 'body language' and still are able to tell a complicated tale.

Quote:
*Promethea is a comic book series created by Alan Moore and J.H. Williams III with Mick Gray, published by America's Best Comics/Wildstorm. Serialized in 32 issues on an irregular schedule from 1999 to 2005, the series explores Moore's ideas about art and magic, combining elements of superhero action, metaphysical theorizing, and psychedelic revelation, all focused on the adventures of Promethea, a metafictional character that possesses magical power over the real world. Promethea is also notable for wide-ranging experimentation in visual style and storytelling technique on the part of Williams and Moore.

Source: Promethea - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-26-2008, 01:25 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,735,181 times
Quote:
They can be true literature.
I remember when I was a kid, someone actually did a collection of the classics: Dracula, Tom Sawyer, The Count of Monte Cristo, A Tale of Two Cities, The Three Musketeers, etc... I loved them. Better than Cliffs Notes.

Wish I still had them....

Old 04-26-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulegirl View Post
I remember when I was a kid, someone actually did a collection of the classics: Dracula, Tom Sawyer, The Count of Monte Cristo, A Tale of Two Cities, The Three Musketeers, etc... I loved them. Better than Cliffs Notes.

They read those comic books in Major League! I love that scene and that movie.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:51 PM

187 posts, read 674,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulegirl View Post

Was that the Now Age Illustrated series? I had one of those that was a small collection of Poe stories-- "The Pit and the Pendulum," "The Fall of the House of Usher", etc. I practically wore that out when I was a kid.

My first love is Maus, but I also highly recommend Guy Delisle's Pyongyang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books