Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 01:46 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times

Advertisements

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, by David Wroblewski

Just finished this page-turner. Wow.
It is a retelling of Hamlet, set in rural Wisconsin. It is not spoiling the story to say that there is jealousy, sorrow, and redemption.
In terms of breadth, description, and feeling, the book is Dickensian.
But the pace is never stodgy.
The guy can write.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 07:38 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post

It is a retelling of Hamlet, set in rural Wisconsin. It is not spoiling the story to say that there is jealousy, sorrow, and redemption.
The guy can write.

apparently, Oprah agrees with you

Winfrey gives the nod to David Wroblewski's novel - MSN TV News

Old 09-20-2008, 08:08 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,352,236 times
I have never really liked any of Oprah's choices and have stopped reading her recommendations. This might be one to read.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:18 AM

750 posts, read 1,434,875 times
I stopped reading Oprah's choices years ago. Too much of the same story, told over and over... woman struggles, woman overcomes. Rinse, repeat.

So I was very surprised when I saw that she'd chosen Edgar Sawtelle. I finished it about a month ago, and absolutely loved it. I recommended it to several people, and my copy is out there, being passed from frind to friend. Now I worry that I might not get it back! I seldom re-read books. There are just too many I want to read, and limited time to do as much reading as I'd like. However, I can see myself re-reading this one. It's just that good.

And yes, Wroblewski CAN write. Like a house on fire. He captures you, reels you in and never lets go.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:10 PM

673 posts, read 2,267,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post

The guy can write.
I probably would not have taken note of Oprah's recommendation for this book had BlueWillowPlate not told us about it first. I will definitely put this one on my reading list.

BlueWillow, you beat Oprah on this one!

Old 09-22-2008, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvitts View Post
I probably would not have taken note of Oprah's recommendation for this book had BlueWillowPlate not told us about it first. I will definitely put this one on my reading list.

BlueWillow, you beat Oprah on this one!
Hah! That's me, always cutting edge.
I never really thought that I had "Oprah" type taste, but maybe she is trying to shake things up a bit with her choices.
One thing is for sure: this is not a novel with a woman protagonist, let alone the story of a woman overcoming some sort of struggle or conflict.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:36 AM

461 posts, read 797,085 times
Is this book sad? Sad relating to dogs? I want to read this, but at this point in my life, I don't want to read anything sad involving dogs...Should I read this?

Old 09-22-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by entyss View Post
Is this book sad? Sad relating to dogs? I want to read this, but at this point in my life, I don't want to read anything sad involving dogs...Should I read this?
I am not going to tell you what you should or should not read.
However, it is a retelling of Hamlet.
And yes, there are lots of dogs in it.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:05 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,020,231 times
This is unike other Oprah choices. I have only started it and so far it is an amazing book! It involves a mute boy and a dog and...well...the rest is to be read!

Old 10-09-2008, 01:56 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
I just finished this today. I loved the book, did not like the ending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books