Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 09:36 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,169,008 times

Advertisements

You all got me intrigued into reading more vampire stories. I'm going to look into Charlaine Harris and some other mentioned. Don't care to read S.King, i found his writing complicated, and some of the books i read just put me to sleep.

I as well just finished Twilight series, it was good, with some good twists and soft romance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 10:37 AM

9 posts, read 20,608 times
You should try Let the Right One In by Swedish author John Ajvide Lindqvist. It's unlike any other vampire book. It blows Twilight away. I hate to offend the Twilighters, but I thought they were poorly written. Just my opinion though. I know a lot of people liked them. This book is really creepy and tons more gore.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:24 PM

515 posts, read 1,330,072 times
Ooh, I like Let the right One In.

If you want an easy tepid read, check out Vampire Diaries. For the life of me, I can't remember the author...hm...

Old 04-15-2009, 11:31 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
sounds like you are on a vein, a real blood chilling adventure.
no doubt you will be up all night with your feet barely touching the floor.
i am sure your biting disappointment at not finding something new will soon
fly away. dont stay up all night drinking and be sure to get to bed b4 dawn.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:27 PM

266 posts, read 866,680 times
So it isn't a vampire book but about demons. Its about A now stay at home mom who got back into kicking demons butts! Its funny and witty. the author is Julie kenner and i guess you could called it the demon hunting soccer mom series. Author Julie Kenner (http://www.juliekenner.com/demon.php - broken link)

Old 04-28-2009, 03:23 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,385,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Uuuuuuu, I can!!!
Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire Series - Sookie Stakhouse.
HBO's True Blood is based on it.

I think you will like it better then Twilight. Sookie is so witty, funny and sexy.
I'm into the second volume of the Sookie Stackhouse series now. I find the books really entertaining and funny but very short for my taste. However, IMO they are by far no way as good as the Twilight series. But maybe I will find it better the more volumes I read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
& you have to put the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K Hamilton on the list!

It's hard to believe the first 5 books had no sex scenes & the new ones are way too much!!
You're right about the Anita Blake series. I have read all books of this series and also the Merry Gentry series. I like them a lot but would prefer if she just went on with the style she used in the first 5-7 volumes. Way too much sex in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I have to say I love a good vampire book and my all time favorite has been the Necroscope series by Brian Lumley, it puts a cool twist into vampires in modern times, 7 books and all are great.
I only read the first part of the Necroscope series but found it rather unsettling. That wasn't just my kind of vampire book. Good to find someone who like it lol

However, you might also want to check out Tom Holland's vampire books. If you are into love stories, there's also the series by J.R. Ward which are quite entertaining but rather love than vampire story and altho' I read 6 volumes I wouldn't want to compare it to Twilight or the Sookie Stackhouse series.
And there's also another series starting with "Halfway to the Grave" by Jeannine Frost - very similar to the Sookie stackhouse series.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:28 AM

Ooops, I nearly forgot. I got a recommendation from a colleague some time ago. The Russian author Sergej Lukianenko has written a series starting with The Night Watch. You might also want to try this.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:20 AM

266 posts, read 866,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eyedgirl View Post
All of my friends how have read the books say that after book 2 they get so addictive you can't put them down. I like how Sookie's character is developing. She is keeping her "Sookie-ness" but is certainly losing a little of the naiveness. I can't wait to see what happens with her and Eric. I'm to the part where she takes Eric with her to the party and I totally laughed out loud at the description of his attire. I can just see this big Viking guy in pink spandex.
OMG i totally laughed out loud when i read the part of eric in the pink and spandex as well!!!!! I love when a book really makes you react like that hehe

Old 05-05-2009, 08:39 PM

167 posts, read 483,628 times
Highly recommend the Southern Vampire series. Just bought and read the ninth installment today, Dead and Gone. Great book. The series is so addictive. Love Eric but still have a soft spot for Bill.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missinggreen View Post
Highly recommend the Southern Vampire series. Just bought and read the ninth installment today, Dead and Gone. Great book. The series is so addictive. Love Eric but still have a soft spot for Bill.
Yes, Eric makes me drool, too *sigh* I'm through the second part now and will start the third volume today.
However, the books could be thicker...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books