Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 07:54 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Here's something to try. Go to a writer's conference where you actually get to pitch agents. It's really great.
I've been contemplating that, although I'm sort of stuck with the question of whether investing the time and money to travel at this point is the best idea. I'm still very much working to build my other business - the one that's much more guaranteed to bring in money at this point...

Once I feel comfortable with the manuscript and have a few more informed readers give their feedback on the entire thing, I think I'm going to go through my contacts in business book publishing to see if they might be able to refer me to a good agent or even editor who does literary fiction.

Alas, I fear I've hijacked this thread!

Back to topic, Lolita is definitely a great book. The movie version (1997 --- I haven't seen the older one) is one of the few films I've seen that's very faithful to the novel yet also a great film...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 05:36 PM

100 posts, read 114,303 times
I was forced to read it in college by a lefty-pinko teacher. Makes Lewis Carroll and Danny Elfman seem innocuous by comparison. If there was a ever a book to burn, it's Lolita.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:50 AM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
I definately want to read Lolita! And I know I will get that reaction as well!
I hadn't considered reading it (stereotypic reaction) until I finished Reading Lolita in Tehran. It's now definitely on my list to read. I don't think I really understood what Nabakov was about.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:52 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,390 times
I generally don't like Nabokov's writing. Sure, he's a "good" writer but I personally don't like all of the flowery wordplay. Also, the self-conscious "dear reader" stuff really rubs me the wrong way. It's as if he is more fascinated with language (and his command if it) than with storytelling.
I read Lolita when I was still a minor and I didn't have any problems with the taboo issues. It's really quite mild. One of those books that you think "What the hell...THIS was banned?"

Old 02-18-2009, 01:05 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,686 times
[quote=cpg35223;7478153] but have you ever wondered if reading a book about something implied your approval of it?QUOTE]

I had to read this in college and really enjoyed it. I don't know that I would have enjoyed it though if it were not in that setting. I probaby would have gotten caught up in the subject too much to enjoy the craft of the writer. I can definately appreciate having had a professor to keep the discussion focused on the writing and not an hour and a half of "Well, I just think he's disgusting so I don't like the book".

That said, I think Nabokov did a great job in getting the reader (at least this reader) to develop sympathy for a character who would ordinarily be found immediately reprehensible.

And at the very least...after reading this I was able to understand the reference in The Police song

Old 02-18-2009, 03:40 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,450,146 times
Quote:
If there was a ever a book to burn, it's Lolita.
Then I don't suppose Ada, or Ardour would change your mind, heh. I like Nabokov's writing. He's always playing with words and phrases and the protagonist's perception vs reality and, knowing that this is also the writer's fiction, his novels turn into this whirlwind of How do I engage this? Mostly, I enjoy his writing because it's lively, or dense with life, and poignant and sometimes horrifying, though I will say a Nabokov novel isn't one I'll pick up casually. I know I'll be in for lots of curves. Autumn reading, not so much for summertime.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:34 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,119 times
I was a teen when I read Lolita, among a lot of other 'socially unacceptable' books. I then read everything I could get my hands on by Nabokov. But it's been so long ago, now.... You could try reminding those stuffed shirt types that statutes were different at different times in this country, and mores in many other countries were and still are wildly different. One of my grandmothers was married [yes, married] at 13, in the good old USA.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:01 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,932,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Phingerbyngur View Post
I was forced to read it in college by a lefty-pinko teacher. Makes Lewis Carroll and Danny Elfman seem innocuous by comparison. If there was a ever a book to burn, it's Lolita.

And thank goodness we live in a free country where we're allowed to read whatever we want and there isn't a panel that gets to decide what's read and what gets burned.

I think the reason Lolita gets such a "shocking" reaction from people is that 99.9% of people have never read it and have only heard of the movie (and probably haven't even seen that either ) and heard all the taboo's about the movie and they let the MPAA make the decision for them that they didn't want to see it. Then they take that view further and automatically assume things about people that want to see the movie or even read the book.

The book is 1000 times better than any movie version.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:39 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,164 times
Canibeyou, that sounds exactly what I think about Kite Runner, too. And, while we are at it, Poisonwood Bible.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:10 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,378,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I put it off for a long time. But I finally checked it out two weeks ago. Holy mackerel, an amazing bit of writing. Yet, when I mentioned in conversation that I was reading Lolita, the people I was spoke with cringed.

I asked if they had read it, to which they replied, "Of course not." Mind you, these are educated people. I certainly do not advocate statutory rape, but have you ever wondered if reading a book about something implied your approval of it? I mean, I think "Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas," is one funny book, but I don't believe in drug use. "Helter Skelter" certainly didn't make me want to kill people. So why such visceral reactions over what is, without question, a masterpiece, by people who have never read it?

Lolita is a classic well-written read IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books