Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2007, 12:31 AM

3 posts, read 8,689 times

Advertisements

Chi Gung: Chinese Healing, Energy and Natural Magick by L.V. Carnie

I've really been touched by this book and wanted to share a review with you.
Chi Gung (aka QiGong or Chi Kung) is the art of manipulating the energy of the body to achieve benefits like health, healing, flexibility, endurance, and intuition. Many books on Chi Gung present the training using traditional practices. However, Lily of the Valley Carnie has written a really good book on Chi Gung (Qigong) that instead teaches a fun, playful approach to applying Chi Gung to whatever activity you are engaged in (such as yoga, hiking, jogging, meditation, or flying a kite). She talks about making the practice of Chi Gung an expression of you and your Art whatever that may be while gaining the health benefits of a Chi Gung practice along the way.

She encourages the spirit of play when practicing Chi Gung because the flow of Chi through the body is hindered by tension and stress and being too serious in your training is a guaranteed way of limiting your potential. Ms Carnie recommends a fun approach to training that allows an awareness of the nuances and subtleties of Chi flow to develop naturally.

I really like this book and found that it offers many great ideas that I've been applying both to my exercise program and to my hobby of contact juggling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 02:02 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,821,950 times
Contact juggling. I like the sound of that. Never heard of it. How many players?

Old 05-26-2007, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Contact juggling. I like the sound of that. Never heard of it. How many players?
There are no players in contact juggling, it's just yourself. It differs from traditional juggling in that you're not tossing objects in the air but rather manipulating an object (most often a sphere or ball) such that it rolls, glides, and twists along your body so that it's always in contact with your body. I find it a lot of fun.

If you're interested, here's link to a youtube video that shows an example of Contact Juggling...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HDHH54J-kSM

Old 05-26-2007, 05:45 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,245 times
I am looking for a nice Qi Gong video/CD to practice the movements. Any suggestions?

Old 06-10-2007, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I am looking for a nice Qi Gong video/CD to practice the movements. Any suggestions?
I've been learning my Chi Gung from an instructor as well as books so I don't have a specific video to recommend. However, if you don't have a particular form in mind yet, I would recommend looking for a DVD/video that demonstrates the "8 pieces of brocade". It's a nice Chi Gung form that provides good health benefits.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:10 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,245 times
Thanks circlewalker, will look for that form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books