Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 01:13 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times

Advertisements

I have a desire to read a book that tells a story of a difficult struggle of love. I just recently re-read Sense & Sensibility and I again felt so engrossed in the ties of Colonel Brandon's love for Marianne and the difficulties he faced with his feelings for her when it was unrequited. I don't know why, but I love reading about painful love stories!

Anyhow, any suggestions? Romance isn't typically my genre of choice--so I'm a bit fuzzy on where to begin.

PS--happy endings are not mandatory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 03:42 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Historical Romance like Sense and Sensibility is a huge genre. I'm reading one right now called Forever Amber: Forever Amber (Paperback) by Kathleen Winsor - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists It's considered a classic but it's not short so I'm not sure I would recommend it to someone new to the genre. Have you checked out other Jane Austen books? Usually, if I read something I really like, I immediately try the author's other books.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:57 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,931,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Historical Romance like Sense and Sensibility is a huge genre. I'm reading one right now called Forever Amber: Forever Amber (Paperback) by Kathleen Winsor - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists It's considered a classic but it's not short so I'm not sure I would recommend it to someone new to the genre. Have you checked out other Jane Austen books? Usually, if I read something I really like, I immediately try the author's other books.
It's not so much as I'm "new" to the genre as I just don't delve into it very often. I'm more of a Henry Miller/Hunter S. Thompson chick. I've read several other Jane Austen books and like them very much, S&S being my favorite though. I'll check out that book too... thanks!

Old 02-02-2010, 06:22 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,633,921 times
How about Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:23 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Lol...

Gone with the Wind. Seriously. If you haven't read it, you need to. It's not first and foremost a love story, but that does play a major part in the novel.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:30 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
"The Painted Veil" by Somerset Maugham is wonderful ( great film too).
"Wuthering Heights" - Pretty tortured love story !
"Le Grands Meaulnes" by Henri- Alain Fournier ( translated as "The Lost Domain" I think)
"The Mill on the Floss" by George Eliot
"Madame Bovary" by Gustave Flaubert
"Far from the Madding crowd" by Thomas Hardy
"Remains of the day" by Kazuo Ishiguro
"Anna Karenina" By Tolstoy
"The Age of Innocence" by Edith Wharton

Old 02-02-2010, 07:05 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Another suggestion just dawned on me - The Red Tent. Takes place in ancient/Biblical times so I don't know if you're interested but there's definitely a tragic love story in it. Also, Memoir's of Cleopatra by Margaret George is a good one with two love stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
How about Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
My mom was just recently saying how she tried to read that but found it so boring, she never finished it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4
Gone with the Wind.
I was going to suggest that too because the one I'm reading now, Forever Amber, is often compared to it. But I haven't read it myself so I can't recommend it. The historical fiction I read is typically about royalty so I don't have much interest in Gone With The Wind.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:32 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Amazing...I was thinking about that book - or really the movie in my case. It was the first adult movie that I ever saw and I had to trick my mother into taking me, it was paired with a film called "Who Killed Doc Robbins," which was clearly intended mainly for kids. When "Doc Robbins" finished I said, "Oh gee, lets stay for the next one." Well, "Forever Amber" was definitely not considered kid fare back then, but my mother really wanted to see it....so I won. I was enthralled by it.

I was wondering if anyone today ever heard of it, and here you are telling me that it has survived and is a "classic." Well, hooray for Amber....a great historical drama film for that time, by the way.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:37 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
I have a desire to read a book that tells a story of a difficult struggle of love. I just recently re-read Sense & Sensibility and I again felt so engrossed in the ties of Colonel Brandon's love for Marianne and the difficulties he faced with his feelings for her when it was unrequited. I don't know why, but I love reading about painful love stories!

Anyhow, any suggestions? Romance isn't typically my genre of choice--so I'm a bit fuzzy on where to begin.

PS--happy endings are not mandatory.
Take a look at this. It goes on for three books, but it is a blockbuster...and certainly about love as a struggle.

Kristin Lavransdatter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-02-2010, 08:48 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lol...

Gone with the Wind. Seriously. If you haven't read it, you need to. It's not first and foremost a love story, but that does play a major part in the novel.
I was just getting ready to suggest it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books