Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 09:17 PM

5 posts, read 12,422 times

Advertisements

Ok, so my friend has offered to sell me their condo. There is no loan on her condo - and she would not be charging me interest. My goal is to get the house for the least cost [obviously...] I would not need an inspection or appraisal since the sale price has been agreed upon. What is the easiest way to finalize this deal for both of us. Should we use an estate planner or attorney? Any referral on the north shore??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 11:07 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,896 times
It seems like you guys are not bringing in a realtor, which is a good way to cut the 5+% commission - you may get naysayers who say you need to have someone look out for your interest blah blah blah.

I'd suggest get an attorney who draws up a P&S agreement and coordinates everything.... It seems like you and your friend can just work out the details and have the attorney put them in the PS.

Do you mean your friend will give you a loan to buy her condo but interest free? What a friend! You may need to ask the attorney to draw up a loan doc of some sort.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:47 AM

925 posts, read 2,741,838 times
I'm a little confused by your post. You said you're looking to get the best price but that the price has already been agreed upon.

Is your friend financing the loan on the condo or are you getting a loan from the bank? I assume it's the former but either way, it's a good idea to have a real estate attorney draw up an agreement to protect your interests. We bought our first home from a close friend & that's what we did. Our attorney was wonderful, very smart but also calm and easy to work with. I've had many clients who used him as well, and he's done a good job keeping things running smoothly between parties. I'll email you his contact info.

Re: an appraisal, if you're getting a loan from the bank, they'll send an appraiser (which you pay for). If not, it's a good idea to get a sense of comparable recent sales to be sure you're paying a fair price.

When we bought a home from a friend, we still did a home inspection, although we were quite familiar with the history of the home and work that had been done over the years. The reason for an inspection isn't to determine the sale price, but to determine if there are any major issues that would impact your decision to buy the home. To me, the small cost of a home inspection was definitely worth it so we knew we weren't getting into a money pit.

Best of luck!

Old 02-03-2011, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,308 times
there is a service called ZimpleMoney that you can use to track the loan payments and collections

Old 02-04-2011, 09:05 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Still get a home inspection.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:38 AM

613 posts, read 2,306,859 times
I would very strongly recommend the home inspection. A fabulous price may not be so fabulous if there are major issues that will fixing (issues that your friend may not even be aware of). Also, get a real estate attorney to do a title examination. If there are any title issues, it will impact your ability to sell in the future because you'll inherit any existing problems.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by no mortgage being involved. Get a real estate attorney involved. Having an attorney doesn't mean it's an advesarial situation. It just means you have someone who knows what they are doing handling the legalities. It's worth the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston