Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2011, 01:58 AM

2 posts, read 7,100 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
i am moving from delhi to boston(MA) in next 2 months. I want to know the total tax calculation (federal + state + if any).
I will be moving with my familiy (wife and 3.5 yr daughter).
pls help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 02:42 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
The total tax depends on your income. You'll have to pay income tax both to the state and to the U.S. federal government. The state income tax in MA is 5.3 percent on your income after deductions. This is the same no matter what your income. It's the federal tax that varies depending on your income. There's no way for anyone to even estimate what you'll pay in federal tax without knowing your income. Even then it would be only an estimate, because there are various reductions in the tax you pay depending on certain personal circumstances, whether you have any investments and what kind, etc.

Below are the links to the MA state department of revenue and the U.S. Internal Revenue Service. You may find some useful information there.

Massachusetts Department of Revenue

Internal Revenue Service

In addition to income tax, MA charges a sales tax of 6.25 percent of the purchase price on most items other than staple food items and clothing of less than a certain price. There are also property taxes charged if you own real estate, but you would not pay these if you were a tenant living in rental property. There is also a tax on automobile ownership, if you own a car registered in MA. This is another tax about which no one can tell you the amount you'd pay, because this would depend on the value of your car.

That covers the major taxes that apply to most people.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:54 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
There is no simple answer to your question. If there were, companies like H & R Block would not exist. When we do our state and federal taxes, we have complicated forms to fill out. I fill out my own tax forms, but everyone else I know uses a tax service or accounting firm. Filling out my tax forms every year takes me about an hour each year and I find it a painful process.

How much you will make a year will be a big factor. You'd probably file as a head of household since your wife wouldn't be working. Your daughter would be a dependent. For your state taxes, you can deduct half your rental fee up to $3K... and I don't know what happens if you are from another country and only here in the US for a short time for work.

I guess my suggestion to you is to go online and print out copies of the current US federal and MA state tax forms and to fill them out based on how much you will be making for the 2011 calendar year. On the federal and state income tax sites, search for answers regarding your status in our country. That will give you a ball park figure for your taxes.

So go to this site for our federal tax forms and instructions:
Internal Revenue Service

And this site for MA state tax forms and instructions:
Mass.Gov

Old 03-22-2011, 03:24 AM

2 posts, read 7,100 times
Thanks ogre and miu.... hope i'll find the my answers here....
FYI, my anuual income would be approx to $70,000. (sorry for not mentioning initially )

Old 03-22-2011, 11:10 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
I think you're going to need to ask questions of a tax consulting professional, or at the IRS and MA Dept. of Revenue. There is no way for people who are not professionals in the tax field to be able to tell you what your income tax would be. There are too many variables depending on your income, your investments, and your deductions all in combination for anyone not thoroughly familiar with the tax laws to be able to tell you how much your tax would be based on just your approximate income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: