Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 07:34 AM

9 posts, read 20,717 times

Advertisements

Hello, my sister and me planning a 1 day trip to Boston. What do you recommend to visit? What not to miss?
Thanks for your help. Zita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 08:11 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,348 times
Good morning Zita1976,

What you could do is go by the weather. If it's a beautiful sunny day you could tour Fenway Park, it's the oldest Major League Baseball Park in the United States.

Another thought for you two is to walk some of the Freedom Trail with one of their costumed guides. You could go to the Visitor's Booth at the Boston Common to get started.

You could take a "duck tour" of Boston too or get a ticket to hop on or off the trolley tours, that's a great way to see our City:

www.bostonducktours.com

Here's a good one for the trolley tours in Boston:

http://www.trolleytours.com/boston/

IF it's a rainy, cloudy day you could head to the Museum of Fine Arts:

Museum of Fine Arts, Boston |

It's $20 to get in the door BUT you can go back within 10 days again with this same ticket, (such a deal!) There's so much history, art & education from all around the world; with so many time periods. You'd be able to check out the new addition (wing) called "The Art of the America's". I'm hearing SO much about it from people that have gone since it opened a few short months ago. You evidently work your way from the bottom up, so remember that tip about it. There is also a phenomenal "Basement cafe" that several people have told me is well worth it for lunch or a snack. Good quality and variety of food & all that in this one.

These are probably the top three things that I would do if I were in Boston visiting right now, especially this time of year. There's also Copley Place and the Pru Shops to browse thru, you could always squeeze that in as well. It's up to you in the end, like I said, the weather definitely will play a part in this visit, so hopefully you luck out and are able to enjoy everything outside.

There's a really good pub style deli on Boylston Street, if you're out enjoying a sunny day walking along Newbury & Boylston Street, head toward the Public Garden and look for this one, it's really good. It's called the Parish Cafe, as you're walking down Boylston Street from the Pru it's on the left hand side heading toward the Public Garden. The chefs around Boston and Cambridge create the sandwiches here. It's phenomenal, I can vouch for it, I've been here several times. It's a little place, and it's SO wonderful here. They have an outdoor patio, you can't miss it along the street. Here's their website so you can decide what you're going to get there:

http://www.parishcafe.com/

If you both decide to walk around Boston, another thing you could do is cut thru the Public Garden from the Parish Cafe and walk over to see the "Make Way For Duckling's" statues, go across the street to "Charles Street" and browse all the shops along there and then check out Beacon Hill and walk down it toward the Charles River, GO to the "Liberty Hotel", for a cocktail & just to check out their lobby; it's absolutely awesome to see. This hotel used to be the "Charles Street Jail" and the architects & construction people did quite an amazing job with this place. They even left the catwalk all around the top, so that when you're walking up the escalator that's what you're seeing as you look up, it's an awesome hotel to visit. You can walk around the lobby of it and see the various photos and history of it all. Keep this tip on your agenda and work your way to it as you're walking along Boston's streets; it's off the beaten path a little, but a good take AND just think, it doesn't cost you a dime to get in their front door.

Have a wonderful time!

Last edited by CityGirl52; 04-13-2011 at 08:58 AM..

Old 04-13-2011, 03:34 PM

158 posts, read 545,638 times
There are lots of options. Posters might be able to tailor their responses if you're willing to tell a little about yourself. Age (34 I'm guessing), interests, social scenes and where are you coming from.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:19 PM

40 posts, read 114,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukec View Post
There are lots of options. Posters might be able to tailor their responses if you're willing to tell a little about yourself. Age (34 I'm guessing), interests, social scenes and where are you coming from.
Otherwise someone might tell you to go for a moonlit walk in the fens, or skinny dipping in the Charles, or wear your best Yankees Jersey while visiting the clubs on Landsdowne Street.

(Note: Don't do any of those)

Old 04-14-2011, 02:53 AM

Thank you for the quick answers and the tips. I'm 34 (you're right ) from Hungary, and we planning our trip in August (3 weeks). Our biggest problem is too much to see and the short time we can spend in USA. But there's priorities. We want to visit Boston, New York, Phily, Baltimore, Washington DC, down to Florida and it's just the east coast.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:11 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zita1976 View Post
Hello, my sister and me planning a 1 day trip to Boston. What do you recommend to visit? What not to miss?
Thanks for your help. Zita
Boston? 1 day? Start at Quincy Market area.
As for the rest of your trip down to Florida you may have spread yourself a bit thin timewise and may want to reconfigure your schedule, i'd spend more time in Boston and NYC and skip Philly and Baltimore,

Old 04-14-2011, 07:15 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,647,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl52 View Post
Good morning Zita1976,

What you could do is go by the weather. If it's a beautiful sunny day you could tour Fenway Park, it's the oldest Major League Baseball Park in the United States.

Another thought for you two is to walk some of the Freedom Trail with one of their costumed guides. You could go to the Visitor's Booth at the Boston Common to get started.

You could take a "duck tour" of Boston too or get a ticket to hop on or off the trolley tours, that's a great way to see our City:

Boston Duck Tours - The Official Website & Online Tickets

Here's a good one for the trolley tours in Boston:

Boston Tours | Boston Attractions | Old Town Trolley Tours®

IF it's a rainy, cloudy day you could head to the Museum of Fine Arts:

Museum of Fine Arts, Boston |

It's $20 to get in the door BUT you can go back within 10 days again with this same ticket, (such a deal!) There's so much history, art & education from all around the world; with so many time periods. You'd be able to check out the new addition (wing) called "The Art of the America's". I'm hearing SO much about it from people that have gone since it opened a few short months ago. You evidently work your way from the bottom up, so remember that tip about it. There is also a phenomenal "Basement cafe" that several people have told me is well worth it for lunch or a snack. Good quality and variety of food & all that in this one.

These are probably the top three things that I would do if I were in Boston visiting right now, especially this time of year. There's also Copley Place and the Pru Shops to browse thru, you could always squeeze that in as well. It's up to you in the end, like I said, the weather definitely will play a part in this visit, so hopefully you luck out and are able to enjoy everything outside.

There's a really good pub style deli on Boylston Street, if you're out enjoying a sunny day walking along Newbury & Boylston Street, head toward the Public Garden and look for this one, it's really good. It's called the Parish Cafe, as you're walking down Boylston Street from the Pru it's on the left hand side heading toward the Public Garden. The chefs around Boston and Cambridge create the sandwiches here. It's phenomenal, I can vouch for it, I've been here several times. It's a little place, and it's SO wonderful here. They have an outdoor patio, you can't miss it along the street. Here's their website so you can decide what you're going to get there:

Parish Cafe

If you both decide to walk around Boston, another thing you could do is cut thru the Public Garden from the Parish Cafe and walk over to see the "Make Way For Duckling's" statues, go across the street to "Charles Street" and browse all the shops along there and then check out Beacon Hill and walk down it toward the Charles River, GO to the "Liberty Hotel", for a cocktail & just to check out their lobby; it's absolutely awesome to see. This hotel used to be the "Charles Street Jail" and the architects & construction people did quite an amazing job with this place. They even left the catwalk all around the top, so that when you're walking up the escalator that's what you're seeing as you look up, it's an awesome hotel to visit. You can walk around the lobby of it and see the various photos and history of it all. Keep this tip on your agenda and work your way to it as you're walking along Boston's streets; it's off the beaten path a little, but a good take AND just think, it doesn't cost you a dime to get in their front door.

Have a wonderful time!
Good post. I would say the Freedom Trail if it is nice. If you want a big tourist trap you could hit Quincy Market. Its alright to do once, but after that I find it overhyped.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Boston? 1 day? Start at Quincy Market area.
As for the rest of your trip down to Florida you may have spread yourself a bit thin timewise and may want to reconfigure your schedule, i'd spend more time in Boston and NYC and skip Philly and Baltimore,
Maybe you right, but in your history is Philly and Washington very important as well as Boston. NYC must have, Baltimore is my soft spot. The problem is we'll have 21-24 days. It's nothing, we'll just run through these cities. That's why I ask you.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:08 AM

158 posts, read 545,638 times
Boston in August can get steamy, those others cities can get really bad. Philly, Balt and especially DC can be a steambath. Many people bolt the cities and head for the beaches that time of year, but there is still a lot of people and plenty to do. I dont know about Florida in the summer, but I suspect it can be brutal.

In Boston, I generally agree that doing the Freedom Trail, Quincy Market, and possibly a duck tour are good starts.

If you need to stop somewhere between DC and Florida, I'd recommend Charleston. Real unique anti-bellum American architecture and history and good restaurants, right on the water.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Downtown Savannah is also nice in their historical section,

Washington is all about the Smithsonian's 22 museums that line both sides of the mall from the capital building all the way to the Lincoln monument.

Are you driving,taking bus or train?
To give an idea of size this comparative map may be helpful,just drag the red dot..

Europe and US Country Size Comparison Map - How Big is Europe Compared to the US?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston