Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 11:23 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,480 times

Advertisements

We are flying into Boston on Saturday, en route to Maine. We have a family dinner obligation on Saturday with hubby's 95yr old grandmother and staying overnight near her (Newton/Auburndale area).

We arrive around 3pm and will go straight to her house for dinner. She wants to be home by 6pm so that leaves us the rest of the evening and Sunday morning to do "Boston stuff" I would like to be headed to Maine by noon or so on Sunday.

My list:
Fenway Park
Harvard University
Boston Common/Public Garden (Make Way for Ducklings was dd's favorite book)
North End

What else would you do in that short time period? Would you do something besides swim at hotel on Saturday night? It will be me, DH, DD (10) and her friend (also 10).

For Sunday, should we park downtown and take the train or drive around and park?

Thanks in advance for helping someone who lives in a city with very limited public transportation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 11:51 AM

2,726 posts, read 6,115,039 times
Not sure you'd have enough time to add much to that list considering the limited time you have.

I'm guessing you're staying outside the city? I'd say the most efficient approach would be to drive in and park the car in the Common Garage (Charles St). You'll be between the Common and the Public Garden and a easy walk to the North End (FYI - I wouldn't do the Commons after dark). On you're way to the NE, I'd rec stopping in and strolling around Faneuil Hall. From the NE, you can take the Green Line to the Kenmore Sq stop and see Fenway Park. Take the Green Line back inbound to the Boylston St stop to pick the car up, or to Park St to switch to the Red Line which will get you to Harvard Sq.

You might want to break it up though. Maybe to Hardvard Sq/Uni Saturday night and the other sites Sunday morning.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:58 AM

717 posts, read 1,058,563 times
I'd agree with Cliff. The only thing i'd add is that Harvard does not have a particularly impressive campus, and Harvard Sq. is largely just a collection of the same old chain stores you'd find anywhere these days. There also isn't much to do in the North End if you aren't eating dinner there, but I think Harvard, Fenway, and the NE are all decent tourist spots/photo ops to check off the list if you are on very limited time.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:50 PM

116 posts, read 320,087 times
After Fenway, go to the Top of the Hub at the Pru for a meal or just for the view from the observation deck. Take a stroll down Newbury Street and around the public gardens. Walk along the Charles River Esplanade maybe. Maybe take a boat cruise around the harbor and islands.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:51 PM

116 posts, read 320,087 times
The new Art of the Americas wing at the MFA is really worth a visit if it's raining or wicked hot.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:56 PM

594 posts, read 1,634,648 times
Hop on the Duck Tour and you'll get everything in with time to spare.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:47 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,892,389 times
I'd recommend going to the North End on Saturday night. I realize you will already have eaten, but you can get desert, and some coffee, and that will lessen your ambitious list for Sunday. I'd also recommend possibly dropping Harvard Square for the same reasons suggested by Maroon.

You can drive in as Cliff recommended, or, you may wish to try public transit, since it sounds like that's an experience you can't have back at home. From Auburndale, you have two options, one is the Worcester line on the commuter rail, which has an Auburndale stop, the other is the D branch of the green line (light rail). All in all, though, I'd recommend trying out the 'T while in town, but going with the Boston Common garage suggestion for actually getting in to town.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:57 PM

105 posts, read 552,479 times
I love the idea of the North End for dessert/coffee Saturday night. I would also concur with a Duck Tour on Sunday. It will bring you all around Boston in a fun way! They do offer Fenway Park tours during the time that they aren't playing...may be worth looking into. You could easily do a duck tour, tour fenway and see Boston Common (make way for ducklings) and have time to spare.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:47 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,480 times
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the tips.
I don't want to overthink it, but want to be prepared.

jennifer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston