Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 06:50 PM

8 posts, read 15,643 times

Advertisements

Why do people overreact about Roxbury, Dorchester, and Mattapan ?

Maybe because they aren't black? Does that cross the line or just the truth?

There is crime everywhere you go.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:58 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROUNSOUND View Post

no they are the most dangerous areas of the city.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:54 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,423,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BROUNSOUND View Post

I think it comes down to this, people who live in high crime areas are desensitized to crime, they think that's just the way life is, plus as the original poster has proven many times at this point, Because there are places that are worse, that automatically means Dot,Mat,Rox are safe. Sad because you can't deny statistical fact, but they do!

Old 08-16-2011, 10:50 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snatale1 View Post
I think it comes down to this, people who live in high crime areas are desensitized to crime, they think that's just the way life is, plus as the original poster has proven many times at this point, Because there are places that are worse, that automatically means Dot,Mat,Rox are safe. Sad because you can't deny statistical fact, but they do!
True. People we knew in Back Bay were scared to visit us in LR. But there are people in Newburyport who would never set foot in Back Bay because relatively speaking the crime rate is way higher.

Me? I grew up in a hood where I had 50 fistfights before high school. Now I go anywhere I want.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:04 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
Boston is one of the safest big cities in America. Even the "bad' parts, while having some crime, are not really all that bad. Even when you look at the statistics, the vast majority of the people who live in these neighborhoods have nothing happen to them. Don't deal drugs, live on the corner drugs are dealt or hang around with drug dealers and the odds are overwhleming that you'll be okay.

People are nuts.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
Boston is one of the safest big cities in America. Even the "bad' parts, while having some crime, are not really all that bad. Even when you look at the statistics, the vast majority of the people who live in these neighborhoods have nothing happen to them. Don't deal drugs, live on the corner drugs are dealt or hang around with drug dealers and the odds are overwhleming that you'll be okay.

People are nuts.
I didn't realize that statistics told you what "the majority of people" are doing, only that the crimes are happening. Yes Boston is safe compared to other cities, but rationalizing by saying other places are worse so this must be safe is ridiculous to say the least. You bring up statistics but are obviously ignoring them completely. Just because you can go there or live there and your still alive does NOT make it a safe place. I worked in all 3 for years and I'm still here. Doesn't make them safe neighborhoods. My brother spent almost 2 years in Iraq, he's back home now and alive and well, so that must mean that Iraq is a safe place to be right?

Old 08-19-2011, 04:01 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
Quote:
I didn't realize that statistics told you what "the majority of people" are doing, only that the crimes are happening. Yes Boston is safe compared to other cities, but rationalizing by saying other places are worse so this must be safe is ridiculous to say the least. You bring up statistics but are obviously ignoring them completely. Just because you can go there or live there and your still alive does NOT make it a safe place. I worked in all 3 for years and I'm still here. Doesn't make them safe neighborhoods. My brother spent almost 2 years in Iraq, he's back home now and alive and well, so that must mean that Iraq is a safe place to be right?
I'm ignoring statistics? No, I'm actually reading them. I did not say there was NO crime, nor did I ever say it was "safe". What I said was they are not as bad as their rep. The thread is about overreacting to the actual crime levels in these neighborhoods, and that's what I am talking about.

Dorchester for instance is HUGE. There are parts of Dorchester where nothing happens in the way or murder, rape and such. What you have is some petty crime in these places. Yet, anyone who lives there is subjected to OH MY GOD YOU LIVE IN DORCHESTER!!!!! on a regular basis. I think that's ridiculous. Of course there may be people who say even petty crime is too much... to each his own. Thats fine. But people are not likely to die or get hurt there either, and that's the first thing some people think when you say Roxbury, Dorchester and the like. Don't even get me started in Mattapan.

Even in some of the "high crime" areas, the crime is highly attached to the drug trade. So if you are not dealing drugs or close enough to get caught in crossfire by those who are dealing/using, guess what? Now, there ARE parts of neighborhoods where getting caught up in the drug dealing aftermath is a real possibility, so for THOSE places I would say they get their bad rep honestly. But those places are never as large as people think they are.

I'm not ignoring anything, I'm looking at the numbers and reacting to what they actually say.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:33 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,670,559 times
Snatale1: you seem to be very well versed in these three large swaths of the city. Could you let us know where you live that you have such keen first hand information on what they're like?

Old 08-21-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
Snatale1: you seem to be very well versed in these three large swaths of the city. Could you let us know where you live that you have such keen first hand information on what they're like?
Not that it makes a difference, but West Roxbury. I WORKED in the 3 for almost 10yrs straight. Between driving a tow truck with all our shop accounts in those neighborhoods as well as doing AAA, trespass towing and repos, then being a cable installer for years. I spent almost all day every day in and out of every street, apartment bldg and neighborhood they have. It's very realistic that I've seen and been through more of those three neighborhoods than most of the people that live there. So YES I have a very good idea of what there about.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:46 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,670,559 times
Quote:
Not that it makes a difference, but West Roxbury. I WORKED in the 3 for almost 10yrs straight. Between driving a tow truck with all our shop accounts in those neighborhoods as well as doing AAA, trespass towing and repos, then being a cable installer for years. I spent almost all day every day in and out of every street, apartment bldg and neighborhood they have. It's very realistic that I've seen and been through more of those three neighborhoods than most of the people that live there. So YES I have a very good idea of what there about.
Actually, it does make a difference because if you said you lived in Holliston, for example, and had never lived in the city (which sadly is the case for most of the people who make comments like yours), it would give you less credibility. Your tow truck driving experience notwithstanding, I still think you are very much wrong, but at least you know of what you speak (however jaded).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston