Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 12:58 PM

3 posts, read 7,830 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! *waves*

I've been looking high and low for a convenient place that I can afford on a tight budget. Recently I found a really really sweet deal, cheap, new house, new everything, close to a big Asian market (I'm Asian so it's a huge deal). The only problem is it's on Leroy St in Dorchester, near Fields Corner and Geneva Ave, and I've heard both are places to avoid. So...my questions.

As an Asian girl who most definitely don't have any ties to the underworld, do I have to fear shootings and stabbings living there?

What are the chances of other bad stuff happening, robberies, rape, theft, house break-ins?

I admin I'm pretty excited about living here, and am trying to convince myself that it's not as dangerous as it sounds. Looking forward to your thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 07:17 PM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,737 times
It's a hole, stay away unless you have NO other choice. You probably wouldn't get shot or anything but it's a terrible area.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:43 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
If ya don't mind ghetto life, you'll be fine.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,208 times
Fields Corner is a changing place. Hopefully you will find it safe. Best to talk to folks who actually live right there. There is a 12-person housing cooperative on Leroy called Seedpod. The neighborhood association, which is very active, is called Five Streets.

Old 09-14-2011, 10:40 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
You should consider Allston/Brighton. Much safer student area that's reasonably priced and there is large Asian Supermarket (Super 88) right off the T at Packard's corner. I lived there years ago when I was in school and it was a good convenient area. The Super 88 has a food court in the front for days you don't want to cook. Pho Hoa is few blocks down also a Shaw's near Super 88.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:14 AM

324 posts, read 1,090,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
You should consider Allston/Brighton. Much safer student area that's reasonably priced and there is large Asian Supermarket (Super 88) right off the T at Packard's corner. I lived there years ago when I was in school and it was a good convenient area. The Super 88 has a food court in the front for days you don't want to cook. Pho Hoa is few blocks down also a Shaw's near Super 88.
I was thinking the exact same thing, though Super 88 was bought out by a different asian grocery so it has a different name now I think.

Union Square in Somerville also has a great asian grocery (Reliable Market) and the prices in Union Square are a bit cheaper than in some other parts of Somerville.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:25 AM

3 posts, read 7,830 times
Hi everyone, thanks for chiming in! I'm visiting the place tomorrow and planning on asking people to live there for the lowdown. Thinking of knocking on Seedpod's door and hope they're friendly enough to answer my questions

Allston/Brighton is out because I need to be close to the Red Line for work. I'm keeping an eye out for places in Union Sq as well, although it's not particularly accessible to Kendall Sq where I work either. Btw, Reliable Market is an odd Asian market. Their stuff is overwhelmingly Korean, their produce selection is surprisingly limited for an Asian market (last I checked, they didn't even have dill!), and they're kind of pricey. If you've been shopping there, check out the handful of Indian grocery stores around Market Basket as well.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:33 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
Isn't there a sizable Asian community in Fields Corner? Vietnamese, I think. Anyway, there are a number of Vietnamese shops in the area.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:47 AM

324 posts, read 1,090,005 times
I'm surprised you don't find union square accessible to Kendall? There are two direct bus lines (the 85 and the CT2). Plus, it's only a mile, so you could walk if you wanted.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:57 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Not to mention there's the 87 that goes to Lechmere, which isn't a far walk to Kendall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston