Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 05:57 PM

26 posts, read 31,462 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've never lived in Boston and would appreciate any advice. I'm doing my own research, but there is nothing like the perspective from those that are knowledgeable about the area.

My situation:

Job: I have two offers: One in back bay, the other on State Street downtown.

Budget: I need to be around $2,500 per month maximum. Preferably closer to 2k.

Wife: My wife is disabled so she cannot walk up stairs (seems to be a big deal from my own looking).

Children: I have two children ages 4 and 2. My four year old will be starting school next year, so keep that in mind for me.

Commute: I drive one hour each way now and have done so for quite some time so it doesn't bother me. I would like to use public transportation if possible.

Wants: Safety is very important since my wife stays home with the kids. Need a three bedroom.

Thank you in advance and I hope I covered at least most of the information that other threads ask for. Also, is it better to work with a broker on our side?

Regards,

Brian

Last edited by ottoscav; 10-22-2011 at 06:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 09:42 PM

234 posts, read 628,769 times
Do you prefer to be in the city or outside and what kind of housing are you looking for, other than no stairs? House? Apartment? Can she not walk up any stairs, like to get onto a small front porch or can she not do large staircases, like if you had one in the house?

Old 10-22-2011, 09:44 PM

234 posts, read 628,769 times
You might contact these people for tips on finding accessible housing that meets your needs: Direct Services Offered by The Boston Center for Independent Living

Old 10-23-2011, 06:54 AM

Good question on the stairs. Short stairs like a front porch are no problem for her, but long stairs in a house are not. We would prefer a suburb outside the city but we are open to either. Our budget is important to us, so that will be the deciding factor on location. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Old 10-23-2011, 07:49 AM

925 posts, read 2,741,838 times
I know of a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath single family home with a 1st floor master bedroom for rent in Westborough for $2K/month, available in November. It's new construction so there's no lead paint. Please feel free to PM me if you'd like pictures & details. Westborough has a well regarded school system & easy access to the Mass Pike & has train service to Back Bay & South Station. The train is about an hour if you get the "express" train. Here's a link to the schedule: MBTA Commuter Rail > Framingham / Worcester Lines Schedules and Maps

Old 10-23-2011, 08:35 AM

Thanks for the lead, however, if the rest of the house is upstairs, it won't work. I am looking to move after the new year.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:46 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times
Yes there are single story ranch type homes but they are few and far between in New England. Most of the established neighborhoods near Boston are 2 and 3 story homes.

There are many apartment complexes and all will have ground floor units. Finding a 3 bedroom apartment on ground floor is not that easy.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:38 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,149 times
How about a first floor unit of a two or three-decker in the Waverley neighborhood of Belmont? You'll have the short flight up the porch steps but that should be it for stairs with the exception of laundry possibly in the basement. Still, there are units with private laundry. The main issue, I believe, will be finding a three bedroom in this configuration. The units can be quite large, easily in excess of 1500 sq. ft., but their floorplans are usually two-bedroom. When we were looking back in the day, we did find three-bedrooms but the third room was often small and the units were snapped up quickly. I'm sure one of the metro savants on here like Ogre or Goyguy can clarify and give better suggestions if they see this thread. Good luck.

ETA: Check out Craigslist to get an idea of what the rental market in Waverley and other neighborhoods is like.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:15 AM

I am noticing more one story options in areas north of the city like Hamilton, Gloucester and Marblehead. Based on my needs, are those good areas for me to consider?

Old 10-23-2011, 11:21 AM

940 posts, read 1,935,347 times
Beverly has a whole neighborhood of one-story ranch houses - Raymond Farms, and it would be more affordable then Manchester and Hamilton, and closer to Boston, then Gloucester.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston