Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 03:14 PM

5 posts, read 21,671 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I just joined these forums to inquire about Boston neighborhoods. I have a section 8 voucher and currently live in Seattle and am looking at relocating to Boston to be closer to family and for health reasons. I'm single, 30, on disability and a lesbian. Looking to move into an apt that accepts section 8 (which could be any landlord in the BHA jurisdiction willing to take it but usually ends up being some kind of affordable housing community because most landlords won't accept it). So my question is: what neighborhoods should I avoid? What would be good neighborhoods to consider for someone without a car and relying solely on public transit and walking? What neighborhoods are good for more urban single 20 or 30 somethings? Gay friendly neighborhoods? Not looking to move to family based suburbs at all. Need transportation to be as easy as possible. Also looking to find an area that isn't too terribly unsafe for a single woman to live alone. That can be a challenge with section 8 I know in Seattle. Any thoughts on neighborhoods? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 04:45 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
Jamaica Plain is very gay friendly, has several nice shops along its main drag on Centre St, and is pretty well serviced by public transportation-the orange line at Green and Stony Brook, along with the #39 bus which can take you to the green line trolley. It has undergone a to of gentrification in the past years, topped off with the recent opening of a new Whole Foods Market. Unfortunately, it may be harder to find affordable housing because of this and especially hard to find housing that will take a Section 8 voucher, but I'd start my search there. I'd be a bit careful of getting to close to the Jackson Sq. train stop further down Centre St (that area has issues) and too close to Forest Hills, which isn't that bad crime wise (though it has its issues at times) but isn't as desirable for shopping.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:38 PM

831 posts, read 2,825,288 times
No section 8 user should expect to recieve good housing accomodations. Even with this disability you claim to have, it's section 8. It's the bare minimum.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:45 PM

Oh I don't expect to have anything fancy, just a roof over my head in an area that is relatively safe to live, as I have here.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:04 AM

199 posts, read 800,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
No section 8 user should expect to recieve good housing accomodations. Even with this disability you claim to have, it's section 8. It's the bare minimum.
wow what a derisive and judgmental post. "disability you claim to have", what , you think she is lying? Does the fact that she is on section8 - a dreaded "govt" program - make her less worthy of reasonable accommodations than an average citizen? Sure sounds like it from your tone.

@squirrel. My mom recently told me about someone she knew who owned a studio to be rented in Brookline (thus by default a very nice neighborhood). Some guy came to check it out and begged her to take section 8. She did based on some good references, and it worked out well. So don't give up hope; you can find quality housing in good areas, just don't go looking for "section 8" type stuff. Check out regular places and bring the sec8 stuff up later. Most landlords just want a decent tenant who will pay the rent and not cause any trouble. I understand that section 8 doesn't have the best reputation, but that is where references come into play. I'm not saying you will have an easy time finding good housing but it is possible. Don't accept crap housing in a bad area simply cause you don't think you can do any better!

Old 11-12-2011, 02:38 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel12356 View Post
Oh I don't expect to have anything fancy, just a roof over my head in an area that is relatively safe to live, as I have here.
I'd look in the Hyde Square part of Jamaica Plain. It's not the center of the more lesbian part of the neighborhood, but it is directly adjacent to it (that part is to the south along Centre Street).

The nice thing about Hyde Square is that it is less expensive than the prime parts of JP, and it has a brand, spanking new Whole Foods! So, at least you'll eat well! LOL!

Old 11-12-2011, 07:33 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions!

But thanks again to all of you who did offer helpful suggestions!

Squirrel

Last edited by CaseyB; 11-15-2011 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 11-19-2011, 08:18 PM

35 posts, read 118,439 times
it is illegal in MA to be discriminated against because you have section 8. Read this:
Facing Discrimination - MassLegalHelp

If you are discrimianted against, contact
Fair Housing Center of Greater Boston
59 Temple Place, Suite 1105
Boston, MA 02111
(617) 399-0491 (tel:%28617%29%20399-0491%20x%20103 - broken link)

They will help you with records and file a complaint with MCAD for you, free of charge. Keep records of everythins, write down convesations with owners/RE agents right after they happened, thake a fried with you a showings to have witnesses if a discrimination occurs.

Stand up for your rights. You might be entitled to compenstation if discrimination occurs.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:09 PM

831 posts, read 2,825,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hymalaia View Post
wow what a derisive and judgmental post. "disability you claim to have", what , you think she is lying? Does the fact that she is on section8 - a dreaded "govt" program - make her less worthy of reasonable accommodations than an average citizen? Sure sounds like it from your tone.

Yes! If you're getting something for practically free why should it be of high quality? It should be the throw away housing that nobody else wants.
I feel this way because way to many people are LAZY and use these programs because they don't want to try and make it in the world. Anyone can claim a bogus disablity and get SSI and Section 8, it's out of control. I was even qualified for some programs at one point when I was hospitalized and on Short Term Disability, luckily I recovered and didn't take the bait with all those Govt. freebies.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:34 AM

156 posts, read 694,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas0814 View Post
Yes! If you're getting something for practically free why should it be of high quality? It should be the throw away housing that nobody else wants.
I feel this way because way to many people are LAZY and use these programs because they don't want to try and make it in the world. Anyone can claim a bogus disablity and get SSI and Section 8, it's out of control. I was even qualified for some programs at one point when I was hospitalized and on Short Term Disability, luckily I recovered and didn't take the bait with all those Govt. freebies.
I think Section 8 takes about 5 years to get... that's a long time living a lie, don't you think?

SSI takes 6+ months to get approved for and requires extensive documentation and several doctor visits (and certification from a doctor on SSA's payroll).

"It can't be a real disability... until it happens to me."

"We need tort reform, too many frivolous lawsuits... but my case isn't frivolous, everybody's else's case is."

This is such a horrible mindset.

But let's just continue to give subsidy after subsidy to small businesses. After all, they are the top job creators, right? Sure. Right after a politician claims that, they should complete the thought and recognize that they are also the top job destroyers.

At least be honest... conservatives aren't for less regulation, just regulation that favors businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston