Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 10:21 PM

3 posts, read 11,018 times

Advertisements

I have wanted to move to Boston for about 15 years. I now have a 4 year old and know no one in Boston, but cannot stop thinking about moving there. Just 18 months ago, we moved from California to Seattle, but I'm still not satisfied. My sister lives here, so the transition was quite easy. I don't know anyone in Boston, so this would be much more difficult.

I have always been too scared to take the leap and move there, but after 15 years, I cannot get Boston out of my heart and my head. I want to just do it, but with a young child, there is so much I need to figure out first.

I know Boston is one of the most expensive cities in the United States. What surrounding areas should I look at for affordable, safe communities?

Is this completely absurd? I just have the strongest feeling in my heart that I am supposed to be there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 11:32 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
What is it about BOS that so fascinates you? Have you ever been there? It's nice but unless there's some particular reason, why?

Old 01-08-2012, 07:12 AM

546 posts, read 1,376,278 times
Boston Bound,

This is a great city, and I grew up here. I have learned to listen to my heart and inner feelings. Hope you like it. I do recomend a visit or three to get the real feel for it. I have only visited California and the Seattle area and loved it. For affordable areas, look at a map of the Mass Transit System which travels thru the Boston area and in all directions (cept the atlantic ocean) as that is an affordable way to travel to the city as well. Best wishes on your choice.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:37 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times
Will you need to find a job or do you currently have one that allows you to work from wherever you reside?If you do (or do not) will you need daycare? Note: it is very expensive. Will you need to or will you be able to purchase health insurance. Note: this too is very expensive. Car? You will most likely need one and yes, you guessed it, insurance in MA is expensive. Does your child currently attend preschool? Note: this too is expensive as few communities have free preschool and few have full time kindergarten when the time comes. Yes, Boston is an expensive city to live in- not just in regard to rent but so many other incidentals to consider when you have a child. Good luck.

Old 01-08-2012, 04:50 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
Will you rent or buy?

You can rent a 1 BR for $1,000 but that will be an older unit and away from the city but on a subway or bus line. Quincy and Malden come to mind in that price range, and they're relatively safe.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:09 PM

Thank you all for your encouraging feed back. I'm not sure where my fascination comes from, in all these years I haven't been able to figure it out. Of course, I have bred my daughter to be just as obsessed. I have been to Boston a few times, but never to a game at Fenway. My daughter and I will be going to our first FENWAY game in MAY!!!

I do not have a job there yet, although as a single parent I would not dare move there without knowing where I would work. I am in a lease here in Seattle til the end of the summer. My current job in the fashion industry will give me some good leads back east. My number one priority is always my daughter. She will be starting kindergarten in the fall, but I'm sure I will need after school childcare. I would like to find an area with a good school district. How are the schools in Quincy and Malden? I was also looking into Jamaica Plain, is that going to be quite a bit more expensive? I have been keeping my eye on craigslist for jobs and apartments, just to get an idea for what I'm in for.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:27 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,419,985 times
I'd make sure you get a job first since the job market is complete crap, I'd also move to a surrounding town not Boston itself. With a 4 year old you don't want to condemn him with the Boston School System. There's really not much to be fascinated with when it comes to Boston. Downtown although extremely small is nice, and it's a great tourist city but outside of downtown it's just regular neighborhoods like anywhere else. Most of Boston is not "city". I'm not sure it the downtown thing is what your going for, but if it's not there's really no purpose to move there. If it's not moving to Boston will only make you pay overpriced rent, and a bad education for your kid. I did a 12 yr sentence in the Boston school system and I'm lucky I can count my fingers. My GF (from the Burbs) learned stuff in Middle School that we didn't learn in High School!

Old 01-11-2012, 02:00 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
Doesn't spending 2 weeks visiting work better to curb that urge or fantasy about being in Boston than permanently moving here? If you live in the 'affordable' burbs, it's no better than living in another semi-major city but more expensive and more crappy for the living space that you pay a fortune for. The only difference is once in a blue moon, you get to go into Boston like any other tourist.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:03 PM

You guys are making some good points. I think probably what I wanted to hear. I grew up in a pos town so anything was better than that. Seattle has been a great opportunity for me and my daughter. I work downtown and live just outside of Seattle, so everything is relatively close.

Everyone who knows me, knows that Boston has been a dream of mine forever. I felt so proud of myself for finally getting out of Bakersfield (CA, where I am from) that I feel like, if I actually do, what I said I was going to do for 15 years, I will have proved everyone wrong that said "she will never do it". But still... everytime I'm at the airport I wish I was flying to Boston. Every chance I get to go on vacation, I wish I was going to Boston instead. I don't know what it is.

I'll be there for about 10 days in May, I guess we will see if a week and a half vacation curbs the urge?

Old 01-13-2012, 07:42 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
If you are serious about wanting to move here, you should use your time in May as more of a fact-finding mission than strictly vacation, since obviously, your real life will be different than being on holiday. I'd research ahead of time neighborhoods that are within your budget and check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston