Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2013, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,096 times

Advertisements

hello people! i could use some advice/inside info/intros/hook ups/etc. i'm looking to set up in or around boston area (north end, peabody, salem, even south nh.) thing is, i'm in australia atm and i havent been in the states for around 10 years (8 yrs in italy/2 in aus.) i dont have a job lined up, an apartment secured, friends and or family there...hmmm, really all i do have is a desire to be in new england and about $30,000.

basically all my work experiance is to do with hospitality/food industry. i have owned pizzerias with my husband in pennsylvania and also in italy. i no longer have the pizzerias or the husband so it's just me starting again from scratch. could anybody out there sorta point me in the right direction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 08:06 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,046,243 times
Well, there's a lot to digest in your post. It's tough moving anywhere without a job lined up, but it's not as if you can just set up a few interviews and hop over from Australia to visit.

The good news is that you have money saved up. That should help you establish yourself here.

You've listed a number of communities in the region. While they are all nice places (although Peabody isn't usually on someone's list along with Salem or the North End), I would suggest renting in Boston and using that as a "jumping off point" to explore the other areas.

Boston makes sense, for starters, because it is the commercial and economic hub of New England and will give you the most opportunity to land a job. I assume that's priority number one.

Boston will also allow you to live without a car. Moving to the U.S. from abroad (although it sounds like you're originally from the states) is difficult enough. The process and expenses associated with owning a car (everything from obtaining a license and insurance to purchase and maintenance) are astronomical. Living in the city without a car will allow you to focus on the job hunt as a priority.

Living in Boston will put you in a central "hub" of sorts for exploring the region and figuring out where you want to settle. Your restaurant management skills will be in demand as the restaurant industry is fairly volatile. I'd suggest checking craigslist.org for openings when you arrive. Also dressing up your resume (emphasizing your international culinary experience) and posting it to a monster.com or other career building site. If you wanted to jump right in just to make a few bucks, you could probably get a job as a server almost immediately upon arrival. There's high turnover in that field and experience and knowledge of the industry valuable commodities. That would give you an inside look at the restaurant culture here in Massachusetts while allowing you to have income right off the bat.

Craigslist.org will be a big resource for jobs as well as apartments. You can expect to pay $1000+ per month for a small studio or 1 bedroom in a decent neighborhood in the city. You can cut down on costs by finding a roommate for a 2br apartment which you can also do on craigslist. Many apartments in Boston have "broker fees" which for the uninitiated can be a bit of a surprise. Typically I try to tell people to look to avoid those fees, but i your case I might suggest finding a decent realtor if you're unfamiliar with the city. It will take some of the pressure off. of course, if you have any specific neighborhood questions, you're at the right forum. MBTA.com has everything you need to know about Boston's public transit network. An invaluable resource.

Anyway, good luck!

Old 01-09-2013, 04:32 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,463,801 times
Hit craigslist for sure! I got a nice room in a nice area with two roommates for $650/month! Not bad at all.

Old 01-10-2013, 01:47 PM

214 posts, read 410,571 times
Just curious, what part of Australia? And why Boston? Now, to your original question, you are not as bad off as you may think. You have $30k liquid! That's a start. Our goal (on this forum) is to make sure you don't run through your savings will ill-advised advice. Irfox was on point with everything he said. First and foremost, establish an address in Boston (or the Boston area). I wouldn't tell everyone to do this, but I've applied for jobs in cities that I didn't live in and used addresses of the people that I knew in the area. The downside was the employer thought I lived in the area and expected me to come on an interview sometimes (most times) within a two week notice. That would work against you more so than any of us in the states. However, it maybe something that you consider as you make your way back over from Down Under. All the best ... you are at the right place at the right time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston