Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 10:37 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,911,809 times

Advertisements

I just took my dog out for his last walk of the day and there was a very well-made and laminated sign for a missing Beagle outside.

Apparently she is 4 years old, needs meds, and is microchiped. She is from Brookline/owners live in Brookline. She went missing on December 24th and has been sighted 3 times.

The sign says "do not chase". I'm assuming every time someone has seen her, they go after her and she runs away.

The sign says she has been sighted at Griggs Park on January 5th. Somewhere (I don't remember) in Brighton, and last time she was spotted was in Watertown either on the 18th or 22nd of January.

I guess I felt like I should post this so more people know to keep an eye out for a missing Beagle that seems to be traveling quickly. I hope someone has taken her in as their own because I can't see how a critter could survive this cold for a month.

Also if anyone has tips or suggestions of how to approach a dog like this without scaring it away.

The flier has contact info also but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 11:39 PM

2,948 posts, read 5,196,643 times
Hasn't the owner been interviewed several times on the local news, back when it happened? Isn't it Dennis Lehane (sp?), a famous local author? He says he'll offer a prominent part in his next book/movie to anyone who finds it. The news showed people posting these fancy signs all over the community.

At least I think we're talking about the same dog here...

Old 01-28-2013, 06:14 AM

925 posts, read 2,743,970 times
If they notify their local Animal Control Officer, Massachusetts ACOs can now create a state-wide “SABER” alert, akin to the human “AMBER” alerts. These are sent to ACOs state-wide so that many eyes can be on the lookout for the pet, or so that details about an animal you may have found is widely distributed.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:19 AM

Lost or Stray Animals | Baypath Humane Society of Hopkinton

Old 01-28-2013, 09:40 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,067,439 times
I saw a similar sign up for a largish-looking brown dog named "Snappy"

The sign also said "Do not chase."

Don't worry. With a name like that, I sure as heck won't.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:38 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,911,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Hasn't the owner been interviewed several times on the local news, back when it happened? Isn't it Dennis Lehane (sp?), a famous local author? He says he'll offer a prominent part in his next book/movie to anyone who finds it. The news showed people posting these fancy signs all over the community.

At least I think we're talking about the same dog here...

Hmmm...I don't know. I have heard of that story. It may be the same dog.

There are so many missing dog signs in my area. There was one Yorkie puppy that was last seen in a local cementary with its pink leash still on

Old 02-01-2013, 09:09 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
I found and was able to return a stray dog to his owners last night. Lucky for the dog, I left a scarf at work and went back for it. So on my second return to my driveway, I noticed a strange dog up the street sniffing a fencepost. He was unleashed and I didn't see a person with him. However, the street was very dark. I decided to pull into my driveway and stop my car. I quietly got out to watch the dog. After a few minutes, I decided that he was unattended. I called out to the dog and he came towards me. I told him that he was a good boy and brought him into my car and turned my interior light on. But I just couldn't read his tags well. I then took a chance and left him secured in my car while I went up into my house to get a leash and help from my bf. Finally we were able to figure out the phone number on the tag and call up his owners. Luckily, they all live a block away from me. They were very happy to have their dog back. I told them have a new dog tag made since the one on the collar had worn lettering.

I must try to keep a dog leash in my car in case I come across other stray dogs. And it would help to have some dog treats too. If a stray dog is shy, it will still be very hungry. So I would get as close as possible without scaring the dog, then toss a treat at it. If the dog eats the treat, then I would offer more to the dog and very slowly try to get closer. I would also try not to look at the dog directly in the eyes if it were shy. Also, it's important not to chase the dog inadvertently into the street and in the path of cars.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:15 AM

That's so wonderful!! Thanks for sharing the tips as well. I would never have thought to keep a leash & treats in my car but I will from now on.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:25 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,112,271 times
OMG, Miu, you do have a heart! God job!

Old 02-03-2013, 07:44 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
I love animals. I used to do transports for dog rescue groups. I've picked up dogs from shelters in AL, FL, GA and NC and brought them up to people in PA, MA and even NB Canada. And all of my dogs are rescues. One dog and one cat were strays I brought back from GA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston