Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 11:25 PM

5 posts, read 4,841 times

Advertisements

Hi,

A friend of mine moved in with two people who stay in their parents' house in Boston. He agreed to a certain amount of rent and paid the utilities (no lease). However, the parties that these people threw (after three months of my friend living there) were nightly and went on sometimes until 4 a.m. The pot smoke (which my friend does not do) was so thick that it was hard to breathe and the noise was loud enough that sleep was impossible, especially with no door to the room he stayed in. When he finally confronted the two people about the situation, they said they would keep everything down until the end of the semester, which was about 3 weeks away, so that my friend wouldn't go crazy in the class he teaches.

The parties did not stop, however; everything went on as before. He confronted them again. The other two said to him, "So, you will move out. You can leave your stuff here through January." So, January came. My friend showed up with some of his friends and moved out. No notice was given. The two are now saying they will take him to court for January and February rent, plus the utilities and have filed a claim.

Do they have a leg to stand on, or is my friend responsible?

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 12:21 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
No matter how many threads you start regarding the same issue, the answer is still the same.
Contact an attorney, do research and find out what the law in your area states about being a landlord, renters rights, etc.

No legal advice can be given on this forum.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:36 AM

5 posts, read 4,841 times
Thank you. I am sorry

Old 01-22-2014, 08:36 AM

288 posts, read 634,984 times
You might want to tell your friend to go to a free legal clinic for advice. There's a few that operate in the Boston area, some specializing in housing issues.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:29 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,422,737 times
If their was no lease or any type of signed or notarized agreement he can walk and they don't have a legal leg to stand on. BUT that doesn't mean they can't still take him to court. It's unlikely since it would most likely cost them more than it's worth. Always know who your moving in with!

Old 01-22-2014, 04:39 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
They said he could leave his stuff there until January, which would make any normal person assume that he gave notice. Sounds like the roommates are just trying to scare him into giving up some money in a tough time of year to find a replacement roommate. Any chance any of this is in writing - even email or text?

Old 01-29-2014, 02:37 AM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
They said he could leave his stuff there until January, which would make any normal person assume that he gave notice. Sounds like the roommates are just trying to scare him into giving up some money in a tough time of year to find a replacement roommate. Any chance any of this is in writing - even email or text?
I'm thinking two pot heads are trying to scare the former tenant for some more "smoke money!"

Also I would find it hard to believe they have filed a claim for anything being January isn't even over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston