Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2014, 03:00 PM

9 posts, read 14,439 times

Advertisements

Hi! If I am taking over someone's lease for the summer and want to renew it for September do I still need to pay a brokers fee? How would this work?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 04:06 PM

145 posts, read 282,805 times
I suspect that the original tenants and/or landlord already paid the brokers fee. If the broker's been paid already, I can't see why you would pay him/her again. If the original tenants want you to pay them their broker's fee back, then that's between you and the original tenants.

FYI - The real estate broker's fee is a fee paid to the realtor for matching the buyer/tenants with the seller/landlord/owner. So no point in paying again upon renewal of the lease as far as I'm aware.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:21 AM

417 posts, read 733,905 times
No. I highly highly highly doubt anyone would be asking you for any kind of fee. they are probably thankful for no time being wasted in between leases.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:17 PM

974 posts, read 1,896,941 times
But....... It may not be legal to sublease from the original lesee according to the lease. If you're asking this pretty specific question, makes me think the current tenant is trying to recoup some $$$.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:54 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
It's pretty unusual for a real estate agent to be involved when you are essentially renewing a lease. So, I'd be extremely surprised if you had to pay a fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
But....... It may not be legal to sublease from the original lesee according to the lease. If you're asking this pretty specific question, makes me think the current tenant is trying to recoup some $$$.
This is an excellent point. You can never be too careful. Are you 100% sure the landlord is aware that you are subletting the property (i.e. you have communicated with him and not just been told he is aware by the person you are subletting from)? If not, definitely either get in contact with the landlord or at a minimum ask to see a copy of the lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston