Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 09:11 PM

313 posts, read 727,836 times

Advertisements

I put this here rather than the pet forum because it is specific to Boston. Has anyone found a really low, or even free, spay neuter clinic for your pets? I am super low income right now, but I have a rescued cat (rescued as a tiny sick baby before my money situation got so grim) that really needs to get spayed. She is in heat. The best deal I have found is $75.00 and SPCA/Angell. That's out of my range right now.

Has anyone found any better deals?

Thanks for any help. I really want to get this cat taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 09:38 PM

387 posts, read 915,936 times
Not much lower than the $75 you were quoted, but you can get a Friends of Animals certificate for $65 and choose one of the vets from their list.

www.friendsofanimals.org/sncert/instructions.html

Old 04-01-2012, 06:54 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
I think that the going rate for the Spay Waggin is $75. You missed the $10 MSPCA special in February... but in order to take advantage of that offer, you needed to be able to drop off your cat at their Methuen facility.

Spay Waggin’ |

But you could check with Tuft Veterinary School. Sometimes they need patients for their students to work on. Once in a while, they post on craigslist in the Pets section looking for cat patients.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:00 AM

Ouch. Thanks... have always been militant about getting my fur-babies spayed/neutered, but affording it this time is going to be quite the challenge on disability income. Places I have lived before, the County animal shelter would kick in with a $50 certificate that you could give the low-cost vet against the discounted bill. It helped low income people a lot.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:00 AM

289 posts, read 567,484 times
I know nothing more about this than what a friend has told me, but

Massachussetts

x SPAY MASSACHUSETTS
1-888-495-7729
[1-888-495-SPAY]
Call: Mon. - Fri. (10 - 4)

And if you go to the Petco site (where I found this) you can find a link to a list of clinics in Suffolk county that do low-cost spay. Maybe do a yelp search on them before you choose because I did and a couple seemed iffy, but then, people are iffy and they might have just had a bad day.

Good luck. I"m a born-again cat lover and I hope everything works out for you.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:31 AM

Thanks, I will check that. Welcome to the world of cat-lovers! I adore mine!

Old 04-05-2012, 01:22 PM

289 posts, read 567,484 times
Just wondering whether you had any luck finding someone to take care of your cat....???

Old 09-01-2012, 10:42 AM

In case anyone else is also looking, I finally found a pretty good deal. Through a group called Friendsofanimals, you can get a certificate for a cat neuter for $51.00, spay for $62.00. A lot of places around that take it, I already confirmed with 2 or 3 who do just in my first 2 or 3 phone calls. Revere Pet Hospital says its another $10.00 for take home pain killer (not optional, in my view), but its still a pretty good deal! If you have a dog, it's: Female Dog $90.00, Male Dog $64.00.

HTH someone!

Old 07-24-2014, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,986 times
Massachusetts has the highest priced spay and neuter programs in the US! It's unfortunate because the animals only suffer as a result of such overpriced services.

MSPCA Angells will charge you:
$70.00 for an appt to check your cat (which you can't skip unless you have vaccine records from the previous yr)
$25.00/ vaccine ( at least 3 are required, but they will upsell a total of 7 different vaccines)
$100 for they spay (which you have to wait a month after the vaccines to get)
$245 total to spay a cat?!?

I am a student with 0 income, so applied for a low cost spay program offered by MSPCA and 2 months later, still no reply as to whether I am accepted. The system needs serious improvements. These programs such as Angells are basically upselling vet services to make money off of the responsible pet owners who actually care about their animal's health. I've lived in California & Maryland and both states only charged 50 bucks TOTAL for everything. Their sole mission was to make it easy for pet owners to spay their pets to fight overpopulation. Clearly, MA programs such Angells have other priorities.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:29 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
If someone can't afford $75, how can they afford a real vet bill if something comes up?

It might be that they just can't afford pets. I've been there, it stinks, but it is sometimes the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston