Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 12:39 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times

Advertisements

Hello -

I've been working with a major cloud company out of Boston for the last 2 years virtually from Denver. They have been hinting as of late that they would like for me to relocate to Boston as my role has become more important. Honestly, I am not crazy about the idea but Boston seems cool. I'm just concerned my lifestyle would not be compatible especially that I like the outdoors: mountain biking, running and snowboarding. Also, I'm originally from Los Angeles so humidity, rain and bugs are things I haven't lived with.

BUT to be open minded, I come here to ask if anyone who has lived in Denver and Boston could provide some insight on their transition?

General thought track here:
  • We would be looking to live near the city and I would commute to Hopkinton/South-borough. I don't want to live way out there as I am not a suburban person.
  • We have a 7 year old bi-lingual spanish/english daughter who attends a distinguished school in Denver 10/10. I would need that level.
  • We have a 3/1 1600 sq ft 1922 historic bungalow near downtown Denver, awesome urban neighborhood, we can walk to Trader Joes, countless bars and restaurants... also we bought low (400k).
    I have no idea what that would go for in the Boston Area... but I am thinking 2x Denver?
  • Right now I am within 2 hours of Breckenridge/Vail which has infinite outdoor activities and my wife/I use this outlet often.
  • I am not concerned with snow, but I am very concerned with sunshine and rain. I don't like my life dictated by weather.

So that's where we are at, as you can see I am very happy in Denver. Any thoughts or feedback on if this lifestyle would be compatible in Boston is greatly appreciated.

Feel free to try and sell me on Boston!

Mach50

Last edited by Mach50; 04-18-2015 at 12:50 PM..

Old 04-18-2015, 01:43 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,647,821 times
Umm, how soon can I pack and go to Denver. I am completely envious.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:01 PM

1,362 posts, read 874,612 times
I'd consider trying to rent your house out in Denver and rent here before going all in and selling a situation you love. Boston and surrounds are great, but no job is forever, and you don't want to regret it down the road. Over a decade ago I left Seattle for a high-paying job in Vegas and I still cry myself to sleep over it.

Plenty to do outdoors here, so I wouldn't worry about that. A greater diversity in outdoor activities, actually, being on the ocean. Other than a couple paralyzing snow storms a year, people that enjoy doing things outdoors continue to do things outdoors, regardless of the weather. A hardy bunch.

People analyze schools and school districts to death, so I'll leave that advice for them to give you.

I'll of course take a stab at your ideal situation and say Brookline or Newton. Great schools, urbanish and close to Boston, and easy access to highways to get to work. I know nothing about Framingham or Worcester, but those are obvious (and obviously less expensive) options as well.

Best of luck.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:56 PM

Thanks to you both, Newton was recommended by people at work too.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:28 PM

520 posts, read 776,170 times
My knowledge of Denver/So Cal is about as limited as my knowledge of the specifics of your situation. However, my inkling is that you would not be happy with this move.

Newton is a wonderful SUBURB. It has some walkable areas and parts of Newton are somewhat dense by suburban standards, but it is still a sleepy suburb. Your estimate of doubling the cost of a home is right on the money. $700k-$800k is the point of entry for a habitable single family.

So yes, you will have to pay twice as much for a home in an area that will not live up to your expectations. Unless there is a huge financial incentive, I would try and stay put if possible.

I recently moved from the Boston area to Minneapolis and wish I had done so sooner. Please note that my position isn't a specific knock on Boston. I would say the exact same thing about New York, L.A. San Francisco and a few other desirable international cities. They're all great places. However, they have very little to offer in the way of a family friendly urban experience for the sub seven figure crowd unless you are willing to make huge sacrifices.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestRedux View Post
My knowledge of Denver/So Cal is about as limited as my knowledge of the specifics of your situation. However, my inkling is that you would not be happy with this move.

Newton is a wonderful SUBURB. It has some walkable areas and parts of Newton are somewhat dense by suburban standards, but it is still a sleepy suburb. Your estimate of doubling the cost of a home is right on the money. $700k-$800k is the point of entry for a habitable single family.

So yes, you will have to pay twice as much for a home in an area that will not live up to your expectations. Unless there is a huge financial incentive, I would try and stay put if possible.

I recently moved from the Boston area to Minneapolis and wish I had done so sooner. Please note that my position isn't a specific knock on Boston. I would say the exact same thing about New York, L.A. San Francisco and a few other desirable international cities. They're all great places. However, they have very little to offer in the way of a family friendly urban experience for the sub seven figure crowd unless you are willing to make huge sacrifices.
Thank you, there wouldn't be any financial gain here. I am already peaked out in salary living happily in Denver for 1/2 the housing cost. Seems like an overall net loss for me.

Nobody can sell me on Boston except for managers lol. Not knocking Boston either, just seems like most would not trade Denver for Boston.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:05 AM

1,362 posts, read 874,612 times
I think it's less about city vs. city than it is about gambling with your happiness. You're very happy where you're at and have a great situation for your daughter, and that would likely be difficult to replicate just about anywhere.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
I think it's less about city vs. city than it is about gambling with your happiness. You're very happy where you're at and have a great situation for your daughter, and that would likely be difficult to replicate just about anywhere.
Agreed this is not about Denver vs Boston objectively, this is about the pros/cons of my situation.

I appreciate your comments.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:55 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
City vs. City, Boston has many advantages over Denver. However, it does not sound like most of those features are valuable to you. You should stay put.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:19 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,699,186 times
Hmm. I think you'd be better off living near Hopkinton. The houses are somewhat less expensive and you'd be close to work. Newton seems like a silly move because you'd be spending an insane amount of money for what is likely going to be a 45 minute commute each way. Hopkinton also puts you closer to the outdoor stuff you want.

Living in Boston itself may sound appealing but I don't think it will do much for you on a day to day basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston