Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2015, 10:37 AM

810 posts, read 851,839 times

Advertisements

Mostly I am curious. If I could I would love to live in Boston because I love it. However it is not too likely.

Anyways. I am getting back into the workforce after being out for many years. Are most of the big hospitals in the Longwood area? I am taking sterile processing class right now but I am considering going to school for a year or so and become a surgical tech. I think with all those hospitals I could get a job. Surgical Techs can also work at outpatient clinics and surgery centers. This is all a dream but if I could convince my spouse it would be interesting to live there even for a year plus a great experience for our daughter.

He works in the computer industry as a programmer but he does not have a degree. Out here in the west a degree does not seem to matter. If you go to a job interview and say "I have a degree from Harvard. in computer science" they will say That's nice what experience do you have. But degrees are a main thing in Boston? Hubby has 15 years at same company. He started in tech support and has worked his way up . Technically he could possible telecommute.

This is a wild dream but ever since I visited Boston for the first time many years ago I have wanted to live there.

Another quick question Are there hospitals affiliated with each of the med schools Tufts, BU, and Harvard?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 12:04 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
There is a cluster there, but no, I wouldn't say most.

And most hospitals have an affiliation.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:27 PM

So how many Level 1 trauma centers are there in Boston?

Old 06-26-2015, 01:37 PM

264 posts, read 389,020 times
There is a few, not just in Longwood. Tufts, Brigham & Women's, MGH, Beth Israel, etc. There's also some more Level 1 & 2's around MA. Lahey in Burlington is an excellent place, they did a great job with my surgery. Some very skilled surgeons and caregivers there.

It's cool you want to get into the medical field because I think it's a great choice, I'm also doing it myself. Currently I'm taking a RTT (Radiation Therapist) program at Laboure College here in Boston. I think the Surgery Tech would be great too, you could apply at plenty of places around here once you are done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Massachusetts

Home | Labouré College

If your hubby got a job here, you could look into Laboure for a program to go for. They could get you into an internship and clinical at a local hospital, which would help with employment once you are done. Good luck!!

Last edited by Flashpoint922; 06-26-2015 at 01:58 PM..

Old 06-26-2015, 04:52 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
If you go to a job interview and say "I have a degree from Harvard. in computer science" they will say That's nice what experience do you have.
thanks
It should be more like this around here, but isn't. Employers around here really put a lot of weight on what college a candidate attended. No one particular college though. Different industries and companies have their favorites.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint922 View Post
There is a few, not just in Longwood. Tufts, Brigham & Women's, MGH, Beth Israel, etc. There's also some more Level 1 & 2's around MA. Lahey in Burlington is an excellent place, they did a great job with my surgery. Some very skilled surgeons and caregivers there.

It's cool you want to get into the medical field because I think it's a great choice, I'm also doing it myself. Currently I'm taking a RTT (Radiation Therapist) program at Laboure College here in Boston. I think the Surgery Tech would be great too, you could apply at plenty of places around here once you are done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._Massachusetts

Home | Labouré College

If your hubby got a job here, you could look into Laboure for a program to go for. They could get you into an internship and clinical at a local hospital, which would help with employment once you are done. Good luck!!
I have always liked the medical field. years ago I did direct care to severely handicapped kids. It was okay but they pay sucked.

There are 2 schools here in Portland for surgical technology. One is a local community college which severely restricts entry and makes every applicant jump through a lot of hoops. The other is one of those for profit schools. They don't have as much crap to get in and I already did the entrance test and passed with flying colors. I just wasn't ready to commit. that was about 6 months ago. The reason was it is so expensive over $25000. I would have to get loans to pay for it. On the upside the starting pay is pretty good. I don't know what it is in Boston but here depending on the hospital it is around $16.00 an hour here in Portland..

I noticed non of the jobs I looked at in Boston listed any kind of salary.

Radiation is good field my friend does that and MRI's

Old 06-26-2015, 07:51 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
Mostly I am curious. If I could I would love to live in Boston because I love it. However it is not too likely.

Anyways. I am getting back into the workforce after being out for many years. Are most of the big hospitals in the Longwood area?
Another quick question Are there hospitals affiliated with each of the med schools Tufts, BU, and Harvard?

thanks
Longwood is home to Brigham, Beth Israel-Deaconess, Dana-Farber, Children's, and Harvard Med School. New England Baptist and the VA are within walking distance, as are several medical support schools. Together, they mkae up the largest medical center in New England.

4 of the above are in the top ten nationally.

Mass General is the single biggest and most prestigious hospital. It is crosstown in Beacon Hill.

There are others - New England MC, BUMC, and Saint Elizabeth's around town - all significant Med centers.

MGH, BWH, BID are all Harvard affiliated teaching hospitals. If you work at one of these you can attend Harvard Extension University (night school).

NEMC is Tufts Affiliated. BUMC is of course Boston U.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:00 AM

Thanks for the information and attending night school could work. I think it is good to keep learning as much as you can.

Seems like if you want to work in the medical field Boston is the place. I doubt any other cities have as many hospitals that are so good.

I appreciate all the responses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston