Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 10:16 AM

143 posts, read 652,045 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Recently, it seems as though some homeless people have decided to take up residence in Copp's Hill terrace in the North End. As long as I've lived there, it has not been unusual to see one or two waking up on the park bench in the morning. I have no issue with that; that doesn't really pose a problem for me.

But the newer transients are setting up what appear to be camps that are there all day, and the problem is getting worse. Supposedly two individuals where having sex on a park bench two nights ago (per my neighbor).

Has anyone had any luck with 311 or the police in these types of situations? I don't mind people sleeping on benches, but making the local park their 24 hour home and showing disrespect to the residents surrounding the park is a bit much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 10:26 AM

974 posts, read 1,900,027 times
Why not call and find out instead of posting on an anonymous forum? It doesn't cost anything.

Call your City Councillor, too. Also free of charge.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:22 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,111,041 times
Just call the police. Or enjoy your new neighbors.

Old 09-10-2015, 05:59 AM

546 posts, read 1,377,675 times
If I were homeless, I would live there and beg for pizza and work for meals.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:14 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,460,703 times
Could always yell at them yourself.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:07 AM

974 posts, read 1,900,027 times
Posting to this forum is just silly regarding an issue that is easily resolved either through contacting a human or...

* reaching out to NEWRA.
* Call BPD 911. BPD can only act on these issues if people call in.
* Councilor LaMattina is involved with community concerns. Call or email his office.
* Call the Mayor's line
* Use the Citizens Connect app
* Call #311

Sometimes people just need to grow up and take responsibility and actively participate in their communities, not just reap the benefits of everyone's hard work.

If you're not part of the solution, your passivity is part of the problem.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:02 AM

2,502 posts, read 4,439,225 times
They're homeless. Where did you expect them to have sex? Or you assumed that homeless also means celibate?

/s, if its not obvious

Old 09-10-2015, 03:39 PM

2,726 posts, read 6,116,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msaRick View Post
Supposedly two individuals where having sex on a park bench two nights ago (per my neighbor).
Geez. Sounds like I've been doing it all wrong. Instead of embellishing my job/salary/condo, maybe I should be telling the ladies I'm unemployed and live in a homeless camp.

Old 09-10-2015, 04:30 PM

1,362 posts, read 874,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
Posting to this forum is just silly regarding an issue that is easily resolved either through contacting a human or...

* reaching out to NEWRA.
* Call BPD 911. BPD can only act on these issues if people call in.
* Councilor LaMattina is involved with community concerns. Call or email his office.
* Call the Mayor's line
* Use the Citizens Connect app
* Call #311

Sometimes people just need to grow up and take responsibility and actively participate in their communities, not just reap the benefits of everyone's hard work.

If you're not part of the solution, your passivity is part of the problem.
The OP was asking for suggestions and you've provided good suggestions for what they can do. Looks to me like this is then a rather appropriate place to post.

The "grow up and take responsibility" comment, however — directed at someone who is looking for suggestions to address a community problem — doesn't seem appropriate at all.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:40 PM

605 posts, read 1,166,459 times
lol @ People without homes not showing enough respect to someone who can afford a home in the North End

lol @ being okay with a few homeless people in the neighborhood but once it gets to number X it's just too much, because the thing to be upset about is your own discomfort/having to see them, not the fact that there are people in your community without homes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: