Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 09:17 AM

433 posts, read 964,388 times

Advertisements

i know that homeless is homeless.....sucks regardless of where....

But i'd love to hear your views on this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 09:46 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
I would think Kauai would be a better place to be homeless than DC. Although not devoid of crime, Kauai is certainly not equal to the DC area. The weather is a lot nicer and you can always clean yourself up in the ocean. A sleeping bag would be sufficient for bedding down somewhere. Local food stands would provide you with fresh produce, whereas DC you would be eating at soup kitchens or from restaurant garbage. With the great climate, you wouldn't have to seek shelter too often, other than when it rains.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:18 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,616 times
It rains a lot on Kauai.

Panhandling is not common on Kauai or Maui, but you can get a day job or pick up cans & bottles for the redemption money. I think they started issuing checks for that now, which might be a problem if you don't have a bank account to cash it.

Gosh, this is tough, because I personally don't want to encourage someone who is homeless, and intends to stay that way, to move to the islands. What would you be contributing to a community that is struggling already?

Old 07-27-2009, 12:20 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,451 times
you wont freeze to death in Kauai nuff said

Old 07-27-2009, 12:54 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,437 times
I have some homeless friends here on Kauai. My one friend has a pretty decent life. He lives on the beach with many other homeless people and has a tent and a car out there. He fishes a lot for food and just spends all his time there at the beach. He has lots of family (although some of his family members kicked him out, which is why he decided to just live on the beach) and his family members always bring him plates of food to eat or bring him items for his "home." It's a pretty easy life.

My other friend is homeless and has a really hard time. She's pretty much a hippie and lives on the beach with her boyfriend. It is a lot harder for her b/c there is no family here to help them and they don't really fish or can hunt for food. Kauai has some support for homeless or low income families, but not nearly to the same capacity as a big city, such as DC would have. So basically this girl is trapped here on the island, doesn't have enough money to get out and with all of the economic problems, she lost her job and does not have a new one. So, in that case, I would much rather be in DC- even with the cold weather!

Old 07-27-2009, 02:08 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,245,859 times
Well yeah there's more economic opportunity in DC. But yeah the weather would make kauai more attractive. Not to be ugly but one thing I've noticed is that DC has a lot of overweight homeless people so they're at least well fed. I'd pick Kauai though.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:33 PM

53 posts, read 228,253 times
Is it me? Or are the words 'homelessness' and 'Hawaii' appearing together in the same sentence a lot? Nah! Probably just a co-inky-dink! Yeah, right!

Believe me, there's a lesson here, folks! Pay attention, newbies! Pay attention all you polyanna paradise-seekers! Hawaii and its unemployment (or under-employment), and its exorbitant cost of living, and the sheer cost to get out here and back, are ALL contributing factors. Plan well or pay dearly, its that simple, and if that's fear-mongering to some, so be it!

If Hawaii could talk, she'd be saying the same thing that the character 'Sergeant Barnes' said in the Vietnam war film entitled Platoon . . . "I 'am' reality".

Ciao

Old 07-28-2009, 04:09 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
There is a lot of territory between the two choices. I would think a warm place on the mainland would be preferable because of the ability to move if necessary. Kauai has lovely, although damp, weather but it is very limited in things available so moving somewhere with nice weather AND access to the mainland might be a wiser choice.

Old 07-28-2009, 04:11 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Hawaii...

Better weather, better pickin's from nature for food...safer public property.

Old 07-28-2009, 05:04 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Default Trapped in HI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
I have some homeless friends here on Kauai. My one friend has a pretty decent life. He lives on the beach with many other homeless people and has a tent and a car out there. He fishes a lot for food and just spends all his time there at the beach. He has lots of family (although some of his family members kicked him out, which is why he decided to just live on the beach) and his family members always bring him plates of food to eat or bring him items for his "home." It's a pretty easy life.

My other friend is homeless and has a really hard time. She's pretty much a hippie and lives on the beach with her boyfriend. It is a lot harder for her b/c there is no family here to help them and they don't really fish or can hunt for food. Kauai has some support for homeless or low income families, but not nearly to the same capacity as a big city, such as DC would have. So basically this girl is trapped here on the island, doesn't have enough money to get out and with all of the economic problems, she lost her job and does not have a new one. So, in that case, I would much rather be in DC- even with the cold weather!
This is a good point. So many people have posted about moving to HI, no job, limited income. They should heed your friends predicament about being trapped on the island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Kauai