Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 3,644 times

Advertisements

I've been looking into this area of Boston to living during graduate school, and I was wondering about the safety of the areas east of Columbus Street near Roxbury Crossing and Jackson Sqaure. Namely, I was looking at Cedar Street, Juniper Street, and Beech Glen Street. Can anyone tell me about the safety here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 07:50 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,419 times
It's one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Boston.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:36 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,313 times
Those streets sound like Fort Hill, which is a nice, kind of sleepy, somewhat gentrified, hilly area in Roxbury, right across the old Stony Brook valley from Mission Hill. Has some beautiful houses and gardens. Very historic old Roxbury neighborhood: John Eliot, "Apostle to the Indians" preached from the pulpit of the First Church there (although the building is new since his day--only 200 years old.) Fort Hill has no stores so not as convenient as many neighborhoods but the location is convenient and I think Dm84 may be mistaken about the danger.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:05 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnasse View Post
I've been looking into this area of Boston to living during graduate school, and I was wondering about the safety of the areas east of Columbus Street near Roxbury Crossing and Jackson Sqaure. Namely, I was looking at Cedar Street, Juniper Street, and Beech Glen Street. Can anyone tell me about the safety here?
It's one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the city. People in Highland Park particularly target students - they really, really go after grad students. I would run as fast as you can to somewhere else ... anywhere else, actually. Have you thought about Mission Hill, for example? It already has a student infestation, er ah, population that you would feel much more comfortable with, I'm sure.

I reiterate, please DON'T move to Fort Hill!! We'll all, er ah, I mean you'll regret it!

Best of luck!

Old 05-12-2016, 10:08 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Those streets sound like Fort Hill, which is a nice, kind of sleepy, somewhat gentrified, hilly area in Roxbury, right across the old Stony Brook valley from Mission Hill. Has some beautiful houses and gardens. Very historic old Roxbury neighborhood: John Eliot, "Apostle to the Indians" preached from the pulpit of the First Church there (although the building is new since his day--only 200 years old.) Fort Hill has no stores so not as convenient as many neighborhoods but the location is convenient and I think Dm84 may be mistaken about the danger.
Lies, lies, ALL LIES!!! Except, of course, about the stores. Most shopping is several miles away. You'll be much happier in Mission Hill!

Old 05-12-2016, 10:31 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rranger View Post
Lies, lies, ALL LIES!!! Except, of course, about the stores. Most shopping is several miles away. You'll be much happier in Mission Hill!
Maybe, but here's someone writing about fort hill in another forum...

I have lived on Fort Hill for about 5 years and love it! It is just so quiet and peaceful. The neighbors are very cool and there is a nice eclectic mix. The parks and community gardens are quite nice and we have one of the only farms in the city to get your fresh eggs, and veggies on weekends. We have great city views and great access to the city as we are on the orange line and can be in the Back Bay in about 7 minutes and the center of town in about 15. Parking is really easy and it is not congested at all as it is less dense than many parts of the city. It is safe at night. You just need to be careful as you do anywhere in the city. I lived in the South End for 16 years, I had my car stolen multiple times and vandalized many more. The crime rate in the South End is by far higher than fort Hill. It is nice living in an area where I don't have to worry as Crime is low.

And from another forum:

I absolutely love Fort Hill… having only lived here for a year, I can’t speak to what it was like pre-students/gentrification but based on both reading the crime stats & just getting the feel from living here, it’s almost crime free (in the actual Highland Park vicinity, sketchier neighborhoods bordering.) There are no shops in the actual Fort Hill vicinity… but that is why it’s quiet and safe. It’s like this little suburban pocket with amazing neighborhood pride and community, feels like a mini suburb planted into the city. Hoping gentrification doesn’t ruin it!

Old 05-12-2016, 11:08 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,062,929 times
Rranger, buddy, Roxbury might be a crime-infested ****hole for the most part, but rest assured, that is definitely not the case woth Fort Hill, and a basement studio down there is most likely worth way more than your South Shore shack.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:15 AM

550 posts, read 680,070 times
I would stay away from that area. Mission Hill is a better area or even going further down into Mass Ave/Tremont headed towards South End would be much better

Old 05-12-2016, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,644 times
I went down into the neighborhood today and, while the areas around it were sketchier, I really did love Fort Hill. I think I'll be signing a lease with three others here. Thanks for the advice everyone! I wanted to stay away from Mission Hill because it was a bit too much commotion. Thanks again!

Old 05-13-2016, 10:11 AM

857 posts, read 1,200,372 times
I used to live on cedar st 10 years ago......its the most quiet part of roxbury u can go into.....theres a section 8 bldg in highland thats about as bad as it gets.....i will say onthe south side of the hill u start going down by the academy homes which is much more dangerous esp since theyve been feuding with bromley-heath houses across coulumbus ave behind jackson square station....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston