Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 09:58 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins_Fan View Post
I call it making personal choices. People make choices everyday that may negatively impact their careers, so what? Some will move for a promotion or better job, some won't. Some are okay with roommates, some aren't. The list goes on...
Hey, if you're gonna let some basic maturity issues get in the way of life, I don't really care. I just figured most people would be able to not be special little snowflakes for the interest of their future.

Also, many have told OP that he/she is completely not going to find what they are looking for. The question has been answered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Being an introvert has little or nothing to do with not wanting roommates. I am an introvert and had roommates the entire time I rented in the Boston area. There are roommates who will also want to live their own lives rather than be in a commune-style household. Fact is, most shared housing does not fall into the shared-meals, roommates-as-buddies category anyway.

However, any roommate would expect civility such as saying Hi when you come in the door. That is a reasonable expectation anywhere in the United States.
Thank you.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:06 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,812,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post

Also, many have told OP that he/she is completely not going to find what they are looking for. The question has been answered.
I'll agree with you there. /thread

Old 08-15-2016, 11:07 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,342,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Wow, some thin skin going on. Eevee's post was helpful.
Thank you.

Posters like the OP are why I rarely post here anymore and why I rarely respond to noobs w/ attitudes and thin skin.

WAY too many clueless people come here asking "hey, where can I find a one bedroom, deleaded, full upgraded apartment with free parking within a twenty minute walk to the Back Bay/Government Crossing/Medical District/Harvard for for under $800/month?" It gets tiresome (and it's not just this board; the Chicago board is just as bad). The quickest of searches could have told the OP not to bother. No worries though, she likely wouldn't have gotten hired anyways just based on her peculiar housing "needs" (why bother hiring someone who may have to live out in the boondocks when you could hire someone possibly living closer by?). Or she would have gotten the job and quit soon after due to commuting issues.

If the OP wants to be stuck forever because she refuses to make compromises/sacrifices, that's on her, just don't complain about it later.

*goes back to lurking*

Old 08-15-2016, 11:19 AM

15,789 posts, read 20,487,959 times
I can feel for the OP somewhat. I personally don't like living with people at all. I guess I could call myself a bit introverted, but it's more about personal space issues with me. I had roommates in college. Great friends outside of living together, but once we were in the same apartment I just couldn't stand it. I didn't fight with them, I just didn't like anyone being "in my space". Once we weren't roommates, it was great again.

Fortunately, after college I was able to afford to live alone pretty much from age 23 to age 33 when my G/F (and pending wife) and I bought a house together. Was a big adjustment for me in giving up so much personal space but it really helped that I actually liked her (imagine that!) and the house was big enough where I had my personal space (garage, finished basement room, etc). But it still took a while for me to get used to the idea of living with someone. But I was up front with her and told her I need time to myself (not to go out and party, but to just do my own thing in the house) and she understands.

But, I did get over it. I still have my introverted ways but for the most part I got over it. With that in mind, I would implore you to not pass over career advancement because of this. You will find ways to have your own space, you will actually like the company, and in the long run it will be worth it.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:25 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,641,530 times
Time to play amateur psychologist with the rest of you. If you read her original post, she mentions she has this job opportunity because of friend connection. OP, I doubting you're anti-social if two people recommended you for a job at their company. I'm giving benefit of the doubt. I lived in many roommate situations. Finding a place to live with a bunch of people you don't know can be pretty daunting. I experienced all of them. Some I enjoyed where the roomies and I clicked as new friends, socialized together. One situation where I ended up with crazies and had to go somewhere else after only a few months. And one where we shared a space and living expenses but had our own lives.

I would think the OPs work schedule of working a later shift might be incompatible with roommates who are doing the 9-5 life getting ready for work and showering when she is sleeping and then she is coming home late at night when they may already be in bed. And every day going through this.

Last edited by 495neighbor; 08-15-2016 at 11:39 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 08-15-2016, 11:50 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Lets not get crazy. Everyone I know with roommates living in Davis Sq, Union Sq, Central Sq (Somerville/Cambridge) are paying less than $850 for their rooms.
Did they move into their apartments recently? A few years ago, you could find tons of places for $600-700 a month. It's a lot harder now! Not impossible (with roommates, of course), but harder.

OP - I'm off the charts introverted, but have a job where I have to interact with my team and clients, so by the time I get home I just want to be alone and crash. While occasionally I bump into one of my two roommates in the kitchen, for the most part we keep to ourselves in our rooms. You can find roommates who are equally introverted.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post

I would think the OPs work schedule of working a later shift might be incompatible with roommates who are doing the 9-5 life getting ready for work and showering when she is sleeping and then she is coming home late at night when they may already be in bed. And every day going through this.
Never was an issue for me, living with 3 people in healthcare who came and went all hours of the night for two years (and continuing to this day).

Old 08-15-2016, 12:36 PM

344 posts, read 335,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
Thank you.

Posters like the OP are why I rarely post here anymore and why I rarely respond to noobs w/ attitudes and thin skin.

WAY too many clueless people come here asking "hey, where can I find a one bedroom, deleaded, full upgraded apartment with free parking within a twenty minute walk to the Back Bay/Government Crossing/Medical District/Harvard for for under $800/month?" It gets tiresome (and it's not just this board; the Chicago board is just as bad). The quickest of searches could have told the OP not to bother. No worries though, she likely wouldn't have gotten hired anyways just based on her peculiar housing "needs" (why bother hiring someone who may have to live out in the boondocks when you could hire someone possibly living closer by?). Or she would have gotten the job and quit soon after due to commuting issues.

If the OP wants to be stuck forever because she refuses to make compromises/sacrifices, that's on her, just don't complain about it later.

*goes back to lurking*

I prefer responding to the ones who want a nice town, with a big back yard and GREAT SCHOOLS (only the best for babies Brayden and Kayleigghh) with a cute town center with cafes and boutiques, and close to public transport. But the commute into Boston has to be 25 minutes or less, and their budget is 325k.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:01 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,641,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Never was an issue for me, living with 3 people in healthcare who came and went all hours of the night for two years (and continuing to this day).
Lucky you for being a heavy sleeper. And you are a bona fide introvert aren't you? You assume everyone's experience and wants are the same as yours. Try cutting people some slack once in awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston