Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2016, 11:09 AM

111 posts, read 113,188 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I am new to Boston! Hitting the job search trail.. hard. No phone, just the library. Im on Tremont St library at the moment. Actually walked from Target to Symphony Hall area on foot today, if anyone also lives around here and for during the day...

No criminal history, looking to work and hoping me having "just my driver's license" and not the accompanying Social Security card is not an issue. .....

Any suggestions?

Applied so far:
- McDonalds
- Dunkin Donuts

Clean CORI

?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 11:10 AM

**until I get a bookbag or backpack? .. If you see a gentleman in a Yankees hat and shorts, walking around with a brown paper bag that looks like it contains leaves but it doesn't.. Say hi. That's me. I don't bite.**

Really wanting to place that bag somewhere before I approach a manager about a job...

Old 09-28-2016, 12:08 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,058,884 times
Get a phone, lose the hat.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:26 PM

10,053 posts, read 15,721,895 times
Why on earth would you wear a Yankees hat to look for a job in Boston?

Old 09-28-2016, 05:41 PM

294 posts, read 1,108,464 times
Having a social security card is pretty standard when applying for a job. Unless you're looking to work under the table.Not sure if you don't have one at all, or just not one in your possession. If you're an American citizen getting a replacement card is free and very easy. Just take your license to the Social Security office and they will mail you a replacement.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Why on earth would you wear a Yankees hat to look for a job in Boston?
New York for life, sir. Its a bigger issue that its a dirty hat than a Yankees hat.... (also: 1. Irony 2. Showing them that I could not give a flying flip less about sports.. here to work. Smart. Beautiful mind.)

And. As luck would have it. National Coffee Day at Dunkin. Ah. Memories.

Im presently seated at the McDs. Might have some traction here. I should wait it out. I have on same outfit I scored from the bags of clothes: checkered Ecko shirt, tan Nautica (?) Dockers style pants. (Khaki? Taupe? Light beige?) So.. I will wait here until manager comes. I explained how I live across the street at shelter and have much experience.

McDonald's and Dunkin. They are in a time race. Now let me again lobby for my parental unit to mail my Passport to shelter mailroom...

Old 09-29-2016, 09:17 AM

11,076 posts, read 12,501,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H0ggie View Post
2. Showing them that I could not give a flying flip less about sports.. here to work. Smart. Beautiful mind.)
This is most definitely NOT what ANYBODY would interpret that as.

And it has nothing to do with liking sports or not.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
This is most definitely NOT what ANYBODY would interpret that as.

And it has nothing to do with liking sports or not.
Pleased to inform you that local DD manager is a die-hard Yankees fan, and this totally worked in my favor.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:35 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,501,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H0ggie View Post
Pleased to inform you that local DD manager is a die-hard Yankees fan, and this totally worked in my favor.
Ok cool

Old 09-30-2016, 06:38 AM

2,952 posts, read 5,212,183 times
I have recently seen large posters outside of the Panera Bread windows recently for help wanted; and Whole Foods Market seems very aggressive recently via full page ads wrapped around the freebie Metro "newspaper."

JP Licks ice cream always seems to be hiring in their many locations.

Pret a Manger (meaning ready to eat), the healthy eatery with several locations, may be a pleasant environment in which to work.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: