Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 05:19 PM

20 posts, read 22,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
We lived in the Back Bay and now in Cambridge. While I loved the Back Bay and do miss it from time to time, Cambridge is much more conducive to children IMO. MANY more parks and playgrounds, more living space for your $, easier parking, less expensive baby sitters, more down to earth parents, etc. It's still urban, but with some space to breathe. I think it will remind you of some of the near in Chicago neighborhoods. We are less than 10 min to the Back Bay and the commute to the Seaport is fairly quick via T or car. Mid-Cambridge, Riverside. and Agassiz are the places I'd look. The Port is also an up and coming area. (http://www.cambridgema.gov/~/media/F...ndex.pdf?la=en)
How long of a commute is it from Cambridge to Seaport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 05:49 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehescher View Post
How long of a commute is it from Cambridge to Seaport?
For me it takes less than 25 min front door to South Station (and that includes a 1/2 mile walk to the Harvard or Central Red line stop from my house). Figure another 10 minutes via foot or Silver line depending on where you are going in the Seaport. I had a 9a meeting at the Vertex building in the Seaport last week and left my house a bit after 8a. Taking public transportation, I still had time to grab a coffee and check messages before my meeting.

If driving it takes 10-20 min even at peak times. However if you are in the farther reaches of Cambridge, anywhere beyond Harvard Square (e.g. Huron Village, Porter Square, West Cambridge) the commute by car can take considerably longer at peak times.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:07 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
I would look at the North End too, it's becoming more family oriented and is a fun place itself, and close to everything downtown Boston offers and could even be a walkable commute for your husband.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:24 AM

1,199 posts, read 638,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arumwati View Post
Chicago is nice place why u moving
I've heard tell of mid- to high-level executives being forced to relocate at gunpoint. Sometimes they even threaten to throw in a company car, stock options, and a mistress.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:59 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Quote:
We've also lived in Bucktown, Old Town, River West, and Lincoln Park, with the latter being my favorite place to live with kids.
Back Bay and upper South End are probably the most similar to the nicer streets in lincoln park/lake view .... but are more expensive.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:05 AM

649 posts, read 817,019 times
I would imagine that being relo'd at the $250-300k/yr price point comes with a relo realtor and concierge, you should really lean on those services to find you the right fit.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:24 PM

288 posts, read 635,158 times
Quote:
Thank you for your help! Being new to the city I'd like easy accessibility to the city so I can explore as well. Would it be easy to get to the city with my son from Jamaica Plain? I would definitely be looking to meet people, set up playdates, have kid friendly activities close by, etc. Does Back Bay, Beacon Hill, or the South End make it easy to do those things? I have a feeling my husband may want to be closer to downtown, although space may be a problem.
Jamaica Plain is part of the City of Boston, so it has an Orange Line subway line that directly connects to Ruggles (e.g. museums, hospitals, Fenway Park), Back Bay (shopping, restaurants), Chinatown (restaurants), Downtown Crossing (movie theater, public garden), and the North End (restaurants and bakeries). But it would take your husband 45-50 minutes to commute by subway/bus to the Seaport. But there are more families in Jamaica Plain because the parks are beautiful and you get more space for your money. There's also a strong sense of community, which you might not get in Back Bay. I think people are just a little bit more open and friendly in the western neighborhoods of Boston. When I first moved to Roslindale, our neighbors walked up to us to introduce themselves and gave us welcome gifts. We were immediately invited to a block party. I don't know if you'll get that kind of red carpet treatment in the denser parts of Boston. When I was in South Boston, I never used the local businesses (which were mostly pizza shops, pubs, or liquor stores) or venture into the Seaport (ok, there are a couple of new, trendy restaurants and the Children's Museum). Most of the places we went to were in Cambridge or the South End. Now that we're in the Roslindale and Jamaica Plain area though, we've found the local business selection to be more varied and interesting. I actually like buying all my meat, fish, bread, and cheese from individual specialty stores (quality as good or better than Whole Foods, but more affordable) and getting advice and information from the local business owners. I feel more comfortable hanging out at the local cafe with a stroller and wouldn't feel weird about striking up a conversation with another mother there--because I know she'll likely be living nearby.

I still think South End is probably your best bet because it balances family friendly and urban density with a decent commute for your partner. It would especially fit your criteria if you are looking for an urban living experience before moving to the suburbs. There aren't as many cutesy parades and family activities, but at least there are craft fairs, farmer's markets, and playgrounds

As for playdates and meeting other parents, you can try joining GardenMoms on Bigtent. There's also JPMoms, but you have to have an address in Jamaica Plain, Roslindale, West Roxbury, or Mission Hill. Sometimes there are neighborhood Facebook groups too.

Last edited by sharencare; 10-26-2016 at 12:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston