Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 05:58 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,219,141 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever rent one of these or something similar? What was your experience like? I see them pop up every now and then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 04:34 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,065,489 times
Why in the world would anyone pay $1300/month to live in a rat-infested underground shoebox?

Also, https://www.reddit.com/r/boston/comm...icroapartment/

Last edited by bigfatdude; 11-20-2016 at 05:00 PM..

Old 11-20-2016, 05:36 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,039,712 times
In my experience the vast majority of basement apartments are illegal. There's certainly risk taken on by the tenant in that arrangement. They're just not usually aware of it.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:05 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,407,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
In my experience the vast majority of basement apartments are illegal.
This was true in the past, however earlier this year the Cambridge City Council voted to legalize basement conversions in to single and two family homes. There were previously some overlay areas in the past and the parameters of what was allowable in the City of Cambridge had gradually loosened over time. This new measure however is a huge leap forward legalizing the majority of basement apartments (many of which the city council) acknowledged already existed.

To the OP, there is nothing wrong with a basement apartment per se, but they are not all created equally. Many are just dank basements. However a nicer unit can be a worthwhile compromise that allows you to live in an area you could not otherwise afford. I lived in a beautiful "garden level" unit in Brookline right after college. Do your due diligence. Check for water damage or potential water incursion, safety (bars on windows, etc), pests, adequate heating, etc.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:37 PM

11,066 posts, read 12,466,771 times
Good lord, time to move if 1300 Cambridge basements are the best option. That price would get you a whole house in other cities.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:33 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,820,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Good lord, time to move if 1300 Cambridge basements are the best option. That price would get you a whole house in other cities.
Anywhere worth living? I'd rather pay $1300 for a Cambridge basement than $1300 for a nice 2 bedroom apartment in say, Grand Rapids. $1300 won't get you anything in any city that I'm willing to relocate to.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:37 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,447,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I think you'll find that a high COL is to some extent based on supply and demand. There must be a reason why rents are cheaper outside many major cities with elevated levels of economic opportunity.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:32 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,039,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
This was true in the past, however earlier this year the Cambridge City Council voted to legalize basement conversions in to single and two family homes. There were previously some overlay areas in the past and the parameters of what was allowable in the City of Cambridge had gradually loosened over time. This new measure however is a huge leap forward legalizing the majority of basement apartments (many of which the city council) acknowledged already existed.
I understand that the city of Cambridge now allows basement apartments. However that doesn't automatically make all basement apartments legal. Many other area towns/cities have allowed basement apartments for quite some time. Just because they're allowed doesn't mean that they're legal. Many of these apartments don't meet building code requirements in order to be considered habitable space and are therefore illegal apartments. Some requirements like minimum ceiling height cannot be met without considerable expense. I guarantee you that many basement apartments in Cambridge will remain illegal because of this despite the revisions in the law that you mentioned.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:52 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,995,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Anywhere worth living? I'd rather pay $1300 for a Cambridge basement than $1300 for a nice 2 bedroom apartment in say, Grand Rapids. $1300 won't get you anything in any city that I'm willing to relocate to.
Meh, seen plenty of nice one bedrooms in Chicago for that. I pay less than that in Somerville, and 2 of my friends do as well, one is large and nice... and includes heat, for $1200, 2nd floor. Probably 1300 sq ft in Union Sq. They're out there. Lots of other nice smaller cities with rents in that range as well.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:43 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,407,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I understand that the city of Cambridge now allows basement apartments. However that doesn't automatically make all basement apartments legal. Many other area towns/cities have allowed basement apartments for quite some time. Just because they're allowed doesn't mean that they're legal. Many of these apartments don't meet building code requirements in order to be considered habitable space and are therefore illegal apartments. Some requirements like minimum ceiling height cannot be met without considerable expense. I guarantee you that many basement apartments in Cambridge will remain illegal because of this despite the revisions in the law that you mentioned.
The city of Cambridge has always allowed basement apartments, albeit in limited overlay areas. The intention of and impact of the recent changes was to legalize the majority of basement conversions in the city. I was present for one of the City Council open sessions that covered this topic due to having other business on the docket, and heard the open discussions first hand. Will there still be some illegal apartments in the city? Of course, as would be the case for any city this size. However to what the OP is asking, you posted "In my experience the vast majority of basement apartments are illegal" and that is just not accurate to Cambridge anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston