Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 12:33 PM

5 posts, read 3,092 times

Advertisements

So, I've got a new job in seaport area. I'm currently living in Woburn and have two cars (that I'm not willing to give up, I'm a car guy, this is a must have for me). I'm commuting via train from Woburn/Anderson and it's not horrible but I'd like to move a bit closer and cut down on commute time, plus maybe experience city life a bit. It currently takes me 10 minutes to get to Anderson station and park, get on the train and 20 minutes later I'm at north station, from there the shuttle gets me to seaport area in another 15-20 minutes. So, total time is around 50 minutes or so.

I'm not familiar with towns east of 128/95 so I need some help. Looking at the subway/bus maps is not helpful, I need to know how long it actually take people to commute. I've tried google maps "depart at" feature but not sure how accurate it is?

I also have parents in Lexington (near Burlington line) that I like to visit few time a week after work, so the new place should be within 15 minutes or less drive (post rush hour) from there.

To summarize: I'm looking for a place with easy access to public commuting options to north or south stations, have parking space for 2 cars (not tandem), that is also within 10-15 minutes drive to Lexington (maple st). Where should I look for such a place. I would like to keep the rent under 2k but could do up to 2.5K. It would also help if you could only rule out certain towns for me - e.g. Could I not even bother looking at Cambridge?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 02:12 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,405,981 times
2 parking spaces alone in Cambridge would eat up half your budget.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:08 PM

513 posts, read 647,510 times
It sounds like you actually like your cars, so I take it you don't want on-street parking? Cambridge does allow overnight street parking, so if you could find a place in your budget you can get a parking permit for both cars. Good luck with the dents and dings, though.
A two-car, non-tandem driveway would be extremely rare close in to the city. You could look at Malden and Medford, maybe Melrose. I would imagine you would have better luck in a complex where you can probably pay for an extra space.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:48 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,463,801 times
Man I can't imagine how keeping two cars in town, no matter how much I like them, could possibly be worth it.

Old 01-29-2017, 05:52 PM

@porterhouse: Thanks, so I'll cross Cambridge off my list, no big deal. What about Arlington and commuting from there, any idea?

@alidmc: I like one of my cars, the other is a winter/rain car that I don't mind parking on the street but I don't want to worry about street parking in snow. I could probably do tandem parking if the street is not one of those narrow streets with cars parked on both sides so swapping cars is easy. Melrose/Medford/Malden would be too far from Lexington, perhaps west Medford, I'll look into that. Thanks.

@bjimmy24: You're not the only one, I'm sure many here won't understand. It's one of you those things... ;-)

Arlington looks good on the map, I'm just not sure about commuting options from there...

Old 01-29-2017, 06:29 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
That's a good one.

I don't know where else you can go and be 15 mins from Lexington other than Medford/Arlington. Might get lucky and find an apartment that offers off-street parking for one car and then on street for the other. Would suck in the wintertime though, especially if it's a main drag and they enforce parking bans on that road.

When I was juggling two cars and only had one available parking spot, I stuck one in a storage unit. Not cheap, but no other option. Especially when the white stuff flew and I was stressing out over parking 1 cars...let alone two. But cars were more than transportation to me...so I spent the money, and glad I did.

I own a house now, so all that stress is over thankfully. Time for another hobby car.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:44 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,435,107 times
You might find an apartment in a house in Malden or Medford that has driveway space for 2 cars, otherwise I would have suggested Woburn as a good choice already.

A 50 minute commute to the Seaport is pretty good, maybe you could shorten it if you came directly in to South Station but that would mean a town like Quincy or Braintree which would put you further from your parents.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:59 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,109,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslude View Post
So, I've got a new job in seaport area. I'm currently living in Woburn and have two cars (that I'm not willing to give up, I'm a car guy, this is a must have for me). I'm commuting via train from Woburn/Anderson and it's not horrible but I'd like to move a bit closer and cut down on commute time, plus maybe experience city life a bit. It currently takes me 10 minutes to get to Anderson station and park, get on the train and 20 minutes later I'm at north station, from there the shuttle gets me to seaport area in another 15-20 minutes. So, total time is around 50 minutes or so.
Just moved to Woburn, and so curious. What's the parking situation at Anderson like on weekday mornings? I currently commute in the opposite direction (towards 495), but just curious in case I look at job switches in the future. Thanks

Old 01-30-2017, 05:59 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,220,605 times
Plenty of parking available at Anderson.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:43 PM

Yes, no parking issues at Anderson/Woburn station at all, no matter what time. At 8 AM when I get there it's not even half full.

Back to my question...

So, I'm going to try Arlington and Medford. Let you know what I find.

Another thought... What if I were to spend a bit more (maybe 3.5 K - which would technically still be in my budget per financial guidelines) to get a bigger place and then share with someone In this case where should I look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston