Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 08:27 PM

89 posts, read 94,373 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I currently live in Madison WI and would want to move somewhere else. We are considering many places and the biggest factors are safety, job opportunities, ability to save, can get by comfortably without a car.

I have more than 5 years of finance experience in corporations, hold a Economics and a MBA. I've also worked in the University. My wife has an Associates degree. She has about 10 years of working experience.

The weather in Wisconsin is also too cold, with freezing rain and incredible wind speed, blowing all kinds of things off into the streets. She also has had shift work for the most part in Wisconsin and that is a deal breaker for us.

Would my wife be able to get a 8 - 5 job in Boston?

What should I expect for apartment rentals and still be able to use the public transport system without needing a car and where the neighborhood is safe.

I am looking for the cheapest apartment rentals while still living in a safe neighborhood and where it is still possible to commute to work in Boston by the public transport system.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 09:32 PM

810 posts, read 854,484 times
You will find the cost of living is Boston is significantly higher.

Google the transit system the website has a wealth of information.
also look at the city of Boston website

https://www.boston.gov/

Old 04-20-2017, 08:58 AM

2,441 posts, read 4,850,776 times
It's a great place in many ways, certainly good for career moves, but expensive compared to anything in Wis and plenty cold and windy.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:41 PM

11,076 posts, read 12,499,545 times
Boston is exponentially more expensive than Madison. Whatever your quality of life is now, it will be lower in Boston. That's just true.

If you want to get out of the cold, Boston is not a good option.

Maybe Philly is a better choice.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:39 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,946,524 times
Boston is not as cold as Madison, but it's certainly more expensive. I suggest that you try Chicago, a bit closer to you, first...

Old 04-20-2017, 03:32 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,054,579 times
I have lived in both (10 years in Madison), and your wife is going to have the same issues here (saw your Wisconsin thread), the area is very well educated, even more so than madison, and even though wages are higher, COL is MUCH higher. Madison is a bargain for the QOL in most all regards.

Last edited by timberline742; 04-20-2017 at 03:46 PM..

Old 04-20-2017, 07:36 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,740,454 times
There aren't a whole lot of places in the U.S. where you can truly get by without a car. It's generally limited to the true urban cores, and even then, it's not every city, and the cities where this is possible tend to be on the more expensive end. It's *possible* to do this in Boston, but not guaranteed. Is the no-car just a preference (even a significant one, or mostly cost-based), or is it a non-changeable factor (like one of you has a medical condition that prevents you from getting a driver's license)? If it is an absolute necessity to be able to get by without a car, I think that limits your options significantly. Even if you find a place to live and a job where you can commute via public transportation, things happen all the time -- employers move, people change jobs, etc.

Boston works in terms of safety, and in many instances, job opportunities. It can work for getting by with no car. But in terms of "ability to save," I think that's the killer. The COL is high, especially for places where you can access public transit. So, I wouldn't focus on Boston unless you already have some kind of opportunity that's been offered to you that is located in Boston. (And it doesn't sound like that is the case.)

As was suggested above, Philadelphia might be a better option. The COL is less, and it is the best bargain among Northeastern cities. The weather is better than in WI or MA. The "safe" areas are more limited, bu they are there. And you might be able to find places where both of you can take public transportation to work. Employers are pretty spread out in the Philly area, but depending on the jobs you can get (and your flexibility on truly getting by without a car), it might work.

You might also consider both the Triangle area (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) in NC, or Charlotte, NC. The weather will be better, but the biggest issue there is that the public transportation is not good. So the no-car thing is not likely to work, but it might work for your other needs.

You could look into St. Louis. The job market isn't as strong there, but they do have some public transit, and the COL is good. The weather is also better than in WI. Generally, it's an "easy" city to live in - fairly easy to get around, and it has a lot to offer - world class healthcare, major league sports, good location within the country, and affordable housing.

I would never discourage Chicago, but I'm guessing you've already considered it. While it is certainly warmer, I'm not sure it's going to be enough warmer than Madison, but it will be more expensive. Public transportation is good, and there are jobs (although I don't know your industry or what is available for your wife that she'd want).

Old 04-20-2017, 10:29 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,241,553 times
Go where you get the best job.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:09 AM

89 posts, read 94,373 times
Default Reply

Thank you everyone. It seems Boston is higher and my wife will not find it easier. It seems like one has to move out of the country!

And yet I can't imagine that everyone is having that perfect job. How do others like me make it? I don't think I am doing horribly.

People who are single and work at near minimum wage? Are they all destined to live in the hood?

It seems very in odds with the value placed in hard work and the "Good life." I understand those days of a 40 hour work week and financial stability, a house and car are over. But this new world?

I see a bunch of people who seem to make a lot of money, people who can afford $5K a month rent etc I see in some post and can't help wondering where all the geniuses appeared. From all over the world, home grown ... ... I guess this is the new reality.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:19 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,331,456 times
What does your wife do? Most people here have a degree, many have a graduate degree. Even an admin in boston is likely to have a grad degree. It is sort of ridiculous...but most places wont consider someone who has an associates degree unless they have a great deal of work experience in a particular field.

You sound like youre doing fine so dont beat your self up. I live in boston and my rent/mortgage is nowhere near 5k a month. If you are feeling like you are not doing well in Madison youll likely feel the same in boston. Youll likely be able to get a better paying job here but youre COL expenses will be plenty. Commutes around here arent great either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston