Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 12:47 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times

Advertisements

Wow, yeah, loads of housing being built, no doubt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 02:00 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,049,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
but it's a shame it's such a deadzone in the middle of one of the country's most urban cities.
This is what really kills me about the neighborhood. In a city that often feels like it’s bursting at the seems, the West End is wasting so much valuable space.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:21 AM

What are the neighborhood definitions of the West End?

Old 10-19-2018, 09:10 AM

12,871 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
What are the neighborhood definitions of the West End?
Officially - Cambridge Street to the South, the River to the North/West, Beverly Street/ I-93 to the North/East (the Eastern edge of N. Station/the Garden is a boundary), and New Chardon St. to the South/East. This would include the TD Garden/North Station, much of the Bullfinch Triangle, the Lindeman and Hurley Buildings, Nashua Street Jail, and the Boston section of the Museum of Science.

However, when I think of the West End, I mostly think of the area boxed in by Cambridge St, Staniford Street, Lomasney Way/Martha Rd, and Storrow Drive. I consider the Bullfinch Triangle/North Station to be a separate neighborhood, and Lindemann/Hurley to be an extension of Government Center. I don't think I've ever considered Nashua St. part of a neighborhood since it's so segregated by roads and highways and waterways. The "Last Tenement" is right there though, so it's definitely part of either the West End or North Station areas.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:23 AM

Ah, ok, thanks, so I guess my Causeway Office is on the fringe of it. It is a odd section to be sure.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:08 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
Lots of youngsters here who don't remember what happened when the Hancock went in.

Trinity Church began to sink.

Boston is swamp land and back fill. There's no bedrock under ground. Manhattan is almost solid bedrock.

You'll never see a building higher than 600 ft. The ground can't support it.
Manhattan has an area between downtown and uptown that is not suitable for large buildings, that's why there is a gap in supertalls between roughly the Empire State and the area of Wall St.

Boston is bedded with Cambridge Argillite and Roxbury Conglomerate. They are both slightly metamorphosed sedimentary formations that can handle tall buildings.

Sorry, its the geologist in me.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:47 PM

12,871 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Manhattan has an area between downtown and uptown that is not suitable for large buildings, that's why there is a gap in supertalls between roughly the Empire State and the area of Wall St.

Boston is bedded with Cambridge Argillite and Roxbury Conglomerate. They are both slightly metamorphosed sedimentary formations that can handle tall buildings.

Sorry, its the geologist in me.
Bedrock is not the reason there is a gap in supertalls in New York. The reason there are no skyscrapers between City Hall(ish) and the Empire State Building is because, historically, this area was full of tenements and factories. Rents weren't ever high enough to justify building tall there until recently (and they are building tall in this space now). Bedrock at the World Trade Center site (tallest in Manhattan) is actually further below the surface than in most of those "low rise" neighborhoods. And while skyscrapers are slowly creeping south in Manhattan, neighborhood groups there are behaving similar to how neighborhood groups here are - fighting high-rise development tooth and nail.

But New York is just one example here. Miami has buildings that are taller than anything in Boston has built, essentially, on a swamp with bedrock well over 150 feet below the surface. The Burj Khalifa, the tallest building in the world, is built on shifting sand on top weak, porous limestone. All of Chicago is built on mudflats and some skyscrapers are anchored to bedrock and some are not. Houston and other cities with weak, porous, or very deep bedrock build foundations that "float" like a raft to support the building above (read about the Mat Foundation in Houston). Sometimes this fails famously, see Millenium Tower, San Francisco.

So if the economics are right for it, the FAA will allow it, and neighborhood opposition doesn't kill it, something in the 800-1,000 foot range could be built here (and has been proposed in the past). But I doubt we'll see it any time soon.

Old 03-05-2019, 05:55 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,524,659 times
I don't know. If Boston keeps rising steadily on the national and global level like it is now, and we keep getting more companies, I don't doubt a developer will propose a 1000 footer in Boston to cement the company's and the city's status. This could be a possibility before 2025. I'm sure they could find space in the Back Bay or the West End. If a powerful enough company can fend off San Francisco NIMBYs, I'm sure they can do it in Boston.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:59 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,898,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbobsully94 View Post
I don't know. If Boston keeps rising steadily on the national and global level like it is now, and we keep getting more companies, I don't doubt a developer will propose a 1000 footer in Boston to cement the company's and the city's status. This could be a possibility before 2025. I'm sure they could find space in the Back Bay or the West End. If a powerful enough company can fend off San Francisco NIMBYs, I'm sure they can do it in Boston.
Can't happen unless Logan closes. There is only a sliver of Boston that allows up to 1000' (1001' is no go though). It's a triangle from the intersection of Starrow and Fairfield, to Starrow and Mass Ave, to Mass Ave and Belvidere. A building on the west side of Mass ave can only be 525' tall though.
If you draw an arc centered on Logan and just hit the nearest point of the common, ending at the Charles and a straight line from Mass @ Belvidere to Logan, everything outside that arc to the Charles can be 800' to 1000' tall. AKA Back Bay and Beacon Hill are the only places in the city that the Feds allow buildings over 800'

http://www.massport.com/media/1545/b...rspace-map.pdf

Old 03-05-2019, 08:04 AM

510 posts, read 449,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
Lots of youngsters here who don't remember what happened when the Hancock went in.

Trinity Church began to sink.

Boston is swamp land and back fill. There's no bedrock under ground. Manhattan is almost solid bedrock.

You'll never see a building higher than 600 ft. The ground can't support it.
And remember when the Prudential center was losing windows and foundation cracking?

Boston is landfill. Not made to handle today's massive construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston