Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 10:52 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I’m not assuming anything! What else could “I’m dreaming of a white Dorchester” mean? And how could you possibly make it sound more like a white supremacist wrote it?

I guess “I’m dreaming of a white, non-Jewish Dorchester” would be a bit more on the nose, but I don’t think the original is particularly subtle either.

Where in the card does it mention “wishing it would snow”?

Also sounds a little low to me, but I don’t have the time to look it up rn.

Right under the section that says"

Wishing Dorchester was all white (people)...

Oh wait, it doesn't say that either..

Nevermind, your right.. when in doubt call it racist.

my bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 10:56 AM

10,020 posts, read 15,665,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
yes; unintended, tone-deaf mistakes is racism. i am black and i am even more offended this wasnt purposeful (they simply dont care to consider non-caucasion persons point of view).

and who is this for ? most of dorchester is haitian. haitian immagrants do not stay up on bing crosby (i didnt even know he wrote the song until i read the article and i was born here). this was not designed to be inclusive for all of dorchester. whoever wrote this had their caucasion friends in mind.
The song was written by Irving Berlin, who also wrote Easter Parade, God Bless America and hundreds of others. It was performed by Bing Crosby.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:56 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Without reading through the whole thread of responses to miu's dog-whistle original post, I salute Stanley's spot-on answers here.
Wouldn't be complete without a "dog whistle" reference.

Old 11-28-2018, 10:58 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Listen man. I hear you. but if you go through life getting offended at some old lady wishing it snows on Christmas.........
maybe not as many people hate you as you think.
it's going to come to a point where maybe straight whites should never refer to, call out, identify, or even speak of anyone that is sensitive to it.
What a damn world you built.

I don't see it as taking offense, but of pointing out an issue in language use so that we learn not to propagate it.

I used, like so many of my generation in the Boston area, the R word for cognitively disabled individuals as an insult super often. I just wasn't aware it was an issue and it became habit. I was called out on it, became more aware, learned that I was just flat out wrong to use it, and trained myself out of using it.

That's what's happening. People are pointing out poor form and lack of awareness in the hopes that people improve their use of language. Language can and does hurt, it always has been capable of doing so.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:01 AM

3,214 posts, read 2,120,946 times
Right, so should we come up with a new name for what everyone in the damn world calls the color that snow is
I'm dreaming of a heavy precipitation under the freezing point to fall and accumulate on Dorchester in the season that some but not all of us celebrate Christmas doesn't really have a ring to it

Old 11-28-2018, 11:06 AM

I think you're really missing the point. Phrasing and language matters. This was sloppy, at best, malicious at worst. I don't think it was malicious, just sloppy and culturally unaware. I would hope we would all want to work on being neither of those things.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:07 AM

3,214 posts, read 2,120,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
That's what's happening. People are pointing out poor form and lack of awareness in the hopes that people improve their use of language. Language can and does hurt, it always has been capable of doing so.
I understand. i really do. But come on. Maybe cut a little slack and try to read into the intent of something.
I agree the ad was sloppy. But should this woman or man be fired. Should this be news?

Old 11-28-2018, 11:10 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Right under the section that says"
Wishing Dorchester was all white (people)...
Oh wait, it doesn't say that either..
Nevermind, your right.. when in doubt call it racist.
my bad.
When using a color to describe a city à la “Atlanta is really black” or “Portland is really white” the color is always meant to be a stand in for the race of the people. Maybe that common terminology is problematic, but that’s a conversation for another thread. The point is that if someone describes a place as white, 9 times out of 10 they mean that there are a lot of white people who live there. That’s just the way things are.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I understand. i really do. But come on. Maybe cut a little slack and try to read into the intent of something.
I agree the ad was sloppy. But should this woman or man be fired. Should this be news?

I don't think its news (but I don't think a lot of things in the news are newsworthy... but the 24/7 corporate profit driven media has to have its content) and I don't think anyone should be fired for something like this (unless they're like a communications professional who does this for a career for a PR firm).

I have no idea why the OP is making it news here. I have guesses considering, but meh.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:29 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,573,907 times
Quote:
Listen man. I hear you. but if you go through life getting offended at some old lady wishing it snows on Christmas.........
maybe not as many people hate you as you think.
it's going to come to a point where maybe straight whites should never refer to, call out, identify, or even speak of anyone that is sensitive to it.
What a damn world you built.
thanks for the feedback, i get your point too. i think including women and minorities into positions of power will lessen these awkward mis-statements in the future so i doubt straight whites will have to dance around eggshells all the time. e.g.- eventhough mike capuano has done a great job, voters elected ayanna pressley (she will likely vote exactly the same as the rep.) because she has sensitivity to women and minority issues and will likely put more pressure on congress and the prez. for certain issues. similar for liz miranda and rachael rollins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston