Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 12:30 PM

4 posts, read 4,313 times

Advertisements

My wife and I (late 20s to mid 30s) are considering a move from Minneapolis for a promotion within her company. We are trying to weigh the pros and cons of the move and I’m looking for a bit of advice. The cost of living has me a bit nervous, mostly because I work in a very specialized field in natural resources as an aquatic biologist and I’m unsure how likely I’ll get a similar paying job to what I have currently. I have a masters degree in conservation sciences with close to 10 years experience (2 years entry level, 3 years supervisory and 5 consulting) working for the State of MN.

Minnesota has a very well funded and large natural resource division (the land of 10,000 lakes) and I’m not sure how likely I’d be able to stay in the same field in Boston. From what I can tell, MA has 2 people directly doing what I do now, comparing that to about 20 or so here in MN. Does anyone have insight on environmental opportunities in general Boston area? Finding good opportunities in my field takes a bit of targeted searching, and without knowing the landscape (non-profits, consulting firms, etc.) it’s hard to see what’s out there through typical employment searches. If I have to move out of my field I don’t know how competitive I’ll be since the majority of my work experience is on the government side.

From a cost of living perspective - we are currently in a 1st ring suburb of Minneapolis in a 1,800 sq ft house, decent yard, and 2 car attached garage for about $300k. As a hypothetical if her salary were $100k, what would I need to earn in order to afford a house relatively close to the city? We have 2 medium sized dogs, and I can’t see them transitioning to apartment/no yard life well.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 12:36 PM

11,060 posts, read 12,452,032 times
You're almost certainly better off in Minneapolis unless there is some really compelling reason apart from the potential job to be in Boston. Just my opinion.

Old 09-24-2019, 12:41 PM

6,132 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakytah View Post
My wife and I (late 20s to mid 30s) are considering a move from Minneapolis for a promotion within her company. We are trying to weigh the pros and cons of the move and I’m looking for a bit of advice. The cost of living has me a bit nervous, mostly because I work in a very specialized field in natural resources as an aquatic biologist and I’m unsure how likely I’ll get a similar paying job to what I have currently. I have a masters degree in conservation sciences with close to 10 years experience (2 years entry level, 3 years supervisory and 5 consulting) working for the State of MN.

Minnesota has a very well funded and large natural resource division (the land of 10,000 lakes) and I’m not sure how likely I’d be able to stay in the same field in Boston. From what I can tell, MA has 2 people directly doing what I do now, comparing that to about 20 or so here in MN. Does anyone have insight on environmental opportunities in general Boston area? Finding good opportunities in my field takes a bit of targeted searching, and without knowing the landscape (non-profits, consulting firms, etc.) it’s hard to see what’s out there through typical employment searches. If I have to move out of my field I don’t know how competitive I’ll be since the majority of my work experience is on the government side.

From a cost of living perspective - we are currently in a 1st ring suburb of Minneapolis in a 1,800 sq ft house, decent yard, and 2 car attached garage for about $300k. As a hypothetical if her salary were $100k, what would I need to earn in order to afford a house relatively close to the city? We have 2 medium sized dogs, and I can’t see them transitioning to apartment/no yard life well.

Thank you!
I'm very familiar with the Twin Cities, having obtained my graduate degree there, and being an active alumnus ever since. I can't speak to the job prospects, but strictly from the economic viewpoint, $300K would not get you anything "close to the city". If schools are important to you, that becomes even more expensive and possibly restrictive (in terms of commute).

I moved here because of a stellar job, but always think that I'd move to the Twin Cities in a heartbeat, if the right opportunity came along.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:11 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
A home in working-class Revere, with many immigrant folks with a sprinkling of young professional 8 miles from downtown, has a median price of about $470,000. I'm guessing, but I think the schools are below average for the area.

Quincy, where I rent, about 9 miles to Fenway Park, has a similar price. Mostly older bungalow homes, two family structures, small yards. Both places are largely working class in look and feel, though Quincy has become decent with yuppie apartments and condos since I moved here 15 years ago.

Within 15-20 miles of downtown, top notch suburbs have a median price of $700,000+ to $1.2 million (Dover, MA).

I've met a few people who relocated over the years from I think the Twin Cities itself, who didn't care for the Boston area people or it seems the local culture?

But I chatted with someone who felt so thrilled to be here for the weekend, heading to Martha's Vineyard, and getting some culture that he seemed to find lacking in the Minneapolis area. He was an Indian professional likely not born or raised there, so no Minnesota pride.

Not to be difficult, but we don't see many or any Minnesotans here. The accent is odd to people here. I get quizzed or seemingly mocked for my perceived or real Minnesota accent. Someone mentioned, "You sound like you're from that Fargo movie!"

(I was born in St. Paul but moved away after kindergarten in 1966 for whatever that's worth. I doubt I have the accent, but maybe a Buffalo accent from when I then spent four childhood years. I still like to keep up with their local news at times and educate east coasters here how desirable the Twin Cities seem to be to many visitors and local residents.)

Old 09-24-2019, 03:26 PM

Thanks all.

RE: local culture here vs. there - the general stereotype is that East Coast = rude, while we have "Minnesota Nice". I see that more as people being direct vs. the major passive aggressiveness that you see here. I'm not originally from Minneapolis but I am from the Midwest and I'm sure I have a bit of the accent, just nowhere near what you'll hear when you move outside the major metro area. I don't get upset at the Fargo references like some people around here do.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:47 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Frankly speaking, 300K isn't going to get you much of anything, outside of a small closet. Financially, you're better off in MSP...

Old 09-24-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Frankly speaking, 300K isn't going to get you much of anything, outside of a small closet. Financially, you're better off in MSP...
Thanks, I know 300k isn’t going to get much, that isn’t really my question. I added that for some cost of living comparisons. I’m mainly wondering what the job market is for natural resource biology type jobs, or what kind of income I need to aim for to be able to afford something with some space for dogs, given that one half of our income will be around 100k.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:13 PM

11,060 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakytah View Post
Thanks all.

RE: local culture here vs. there - the general stereotype is that East Coast = rude, while we have "Minnesota Nice". I see that more as people being direct vs. the major passive aggressiveness that you see here. I'm not originally from Minneapolis but I am from the Midwest and I'm sure I have a bit of the accent, just nowhere near what you'll hear when you move outside the major metro area. I don't get upset at the Fargo references like some people around here do.

I personally like Minnesota a lot, but I'm from Ohio. My gf, growing up un Minnesota and Wisconsin and having lived in Minneapolis for 6 years, has said the passive aggression is too much. I cant say I've noticed that, but she has no desire to return to the area. Boston isnt super friendly per se but gf likes it more than Minneapolis.

Old 09-25-2019, 08:31 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
PM me. This is a field I am intimately familiar with. Too bad you just missed the recent aquatic biologist posting for the state.

Old 09-25-2019, 11:23 AM

6,132 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
PM me. This is a field I am intimately familiar with. Too bad you just missed the recent aquatic biologist posting for the state.
Wow! This is the magic of City-Data...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston