Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 08:46 AM

640 posts, read 450,099 times

Advertisements

OP, apart from the winding discussion above, the simple answer to your question is: If you are used to living in a quiet suburban area, you'll find the same here. If you move far away from the city, that is. Except you'd be paying perhaps 1.5-3 times the housing price for the privilege. I will incur the wrath of the Boston patriots for sure, but after living here for decades, I'd stay away. In fact, we are toying with the idea of retiring to Tennessee! There are no state taxes in TN, everything is less expensive, the weather is arguably better -- certainly no worse, the people are friendlier, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2021, 09:21 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,073,498 times
$400-500 isn’t that awful if it includes heat/hot water and all grounds/exterior/common area maintenance and repairs - just think how much that costs you if you have your own house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
$450/mo would be my personal limit, and at $400-$450 it BETTER offer some amenities (pool, fitness center, hot water...). If no extras outside the standard maintenance, water/sewer, snow removal, trash and insurance, it would be hard to justify going over $350/mo.

Old 11-16-2021, 09:24 AM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
$400-500 isn’t that awful if it includes heat/hot water and all grounds/exterior/common area maintenance and repairs - just think how much that costs you if you have your own house.
IF it includes heat and hot water, yes that is huge. But if not, I consider it money you will never get back (and usually a result of poor management).

Old 11-16-2021, 09:36 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Yeah I think that kenmore one it's a good price for the market other than the HOA. It's still more than what people might expect when they expect to come to Boston(thinking of themselves as well off because they live in a comparable size apt in a trendy place in Chicago/Houston/Philly), live right near a T stop in a walkable neighborhood , live in a renovated brownstone, have enough room for their kids etc . They might expect it to be like half the price
Honestly, $450 for a condo in a 2-unit brownstone is pretty reasonable (especially if it's the larger of the two). You consider just the basics for a moment: water, sewer, common area electricity/hot water (if each unit doesnt have their own heater), and master insurance and $450 is pretty bare bones.

I'm in a 2-unit brownstone and the building's monthly water/sewer bill can be $400+ some months. Master insurance is $5k/year. If we also had common hot water, that'd add another $300-400. That can be $1100/month right there, split in half is $550. Even without, the two units paying a combined $700/month HOA treads water with the reserves. Start adding in things like heating storage rooms, elevator, snow removal, and it can get expensive fast.

Old 11-16-2021, 09:45 AM

2,367 posts, read 1,855,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
I'm saying it's a rip based on the property type:

Door on the right goes to 468 Park. Condo is #1 so it looks like whoever buys that gets the ground floor and the 2nd story from the pictures . Probably got a basement neighbor and a third story neighbor. Main floor guy pays 477, lets say the other two pay 477 put together so someone is getting 950 a month in HOA fees.

What common areas? The little tiny hallway inside the front door and the staircase that goes to the other units? Doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe I'm missing something. I don't see any grounds to maintain. Do they pay someone to come in and shovel your parking spot out for 50/hr?

Okay if it includes heat that's big for sure. Is that common? What's the purpose of including heat though? Is it so you can keep it blased to 80 degrees all winter to get your money's worth? Maybe it's so your neighbor doesn't go to Boca for the winter and leave the heat off, freeze the pipes and flood condo in the process.

(edit) id77 I didn't see your post when i made this. That does answer some of the questions. It sounds like the majority might be a master insurance policy in this case?

Old 11-16-2021, 09:59 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Okay if it includes heat that's big for sure. Is that common? What's the purpose of including heat though? Is it so you can keep it blased to 80 degrees all winter to get your money's worth? Maybe it's so your neighbor doesn't go to Boca for the winter and leave the heat off, freeze the pipes and flood condo in the process.

(edit) id77 I didn't see your post when i made this. That does answer some of the questions. It sounds like the majority might be a master insurance policy in this case?
Common hot water is pretty common in Boston. The logistics to outfit each unit with its own hot water heater is difficult: some units don't have the space to waste on it, others didn't invest the major outlay during renovations to modify the plumbing. The buildings that have recently been bought and gut renovated into units are most likely to have split hot water, if they're nicer/larger units, but a lot of 4-6 unit buildings shove a large hot water heater into a closet in the basement unit and that feeds hot water for everyone.

In 2-unit brownstones, master insurance and utilities like water/sewer that cannot be split by the city into units are the major costs because they're: 1) relatively fixed and 2) split among fewer units. A master insurance policy may be $5k in a 2-unit, and it's not going to be much more in a 3-unit or 5-unit, but those latter buildings can split the cost 3-5 ways. But, yes, at least in our 2-unit HOA master insurance is the #1 expense each year; it'll wipe out 6 months worth of HOA payments by itself. Water/sewer is the #2 expense, and everything else is small potatoes.

The problem with treading water is you want to build reserves for the occasional but large HOA projects to absorb some cost and minimize assessments. Repointing a brownstone can be $30-40k, a new roof $10k+. Splitting that 2 ways can sting, but if you can slowly build up $30k in reserves over 10-15 years, it reduces that assessment remaining to the owners.

Old 11-16-2021, 11:52 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
The problem with treading water is you want to build reserves for the occasional but large HOA projects to absorb some cost and minimize assessments. Repointing a brownstone can be $30-40k, a new roof $10k+. Splitting that 2 ways can sting, but if you can slowly build up $30k in reserves over 10-15 years, it reduces that assessment remaining to the owners.
When I was looking I saw loan repayments folded into HOA fees not infrequently. Precisely for larger projects (roofs, foundations, etc) where reserves didn't cover it and they didn't want to do large assessments. Or from when it was apartments and the tenants took out a loan to buy it out and condo-ize it. So, some of the HOA fee may be loan repayments.

Old 11-16-2021, 08:50 PM

38 posts, read 35,319 times
Quote:
Easy. Much less than $500K too. Prices actually seem to be cooling.

25 Alpine St UNIT 36, Hyde Park, MA 02136 | MLS #72914102 | Zillow
Beautiful place, but it's in Mattapan. Not on top of most people's list of desired neighborhoods. Massive discount due to location.

Old 11-16-2021, 09:12 PM

17,739 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Easy. Much less than $500K too. Prices actually seem to be cooling.

25 Alpine St UNIT 36, Hyde Park, MA 02136 | MLS #72914102 | Zillow
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokaydokay View Post
Beautiful place, but it's in Mattapan. Not on top of most people's list of desired neighborhoods. Massive discount due to location.
It's Hyde Park. Very close to Mattapan. Also, on the other side are housing projects. Bad location.

Old 11-17-2021, 05:13 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
$500k?!? Were is this?? Baltimore??

If you can find me a 500k 2 bed condo in the one and only city of Boston.. please let me know
I mean, websites like Zillow exist. When I check now, there are 107 2 bedroom+ condos available in the City of Boston.

Is there something I'm missing? Certainly none of these are going to have deficiencies compared to 1 Dalton, but they're in Boston and they've got 2+ bedrooms.

As to the OP, Boston is a fine place to live, but it's expensive. Don't move here unless you have a good reason. Good reasons include things like family and career opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston