Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 09:25 PM

6 posts, read 16,213 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I just got a job at MGH, and will be living on mass ave in arlington. I think the number 79 and 77 buses are right infront of my apt. I'll be living near menotomy road. I need to get to the alewife station. So i don't know if it would be easier to drive into the alewife station or take the bus there. I have to be at work at 7 am, so what would be a good time to leave in the am? and what would be the best way to get to the red line? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 10:25 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,316,013 times
I grew up (or partially grew up) two blocks from your new home. At that hour it would be a very quick drive to Alewife and there would definitely be parking available then (it can fill up later), but they're getting something like $7 a day now.

The bus would be more affordable, but there's a twist. The 79 bus goes straight to Alewife, but I'm almost sure the first bus would not get you there in time to get to MGH by 7. I think it gets to Alewife at exactly 7. The 77 bus runs earlier, every 10-12 minutes starting at about 5 AM, but does not go to Alewife. You can take the 77 to the Red Line stations at Porter or Harvard, both closer to MGH than Alewife.

The choice is thus (1) drive to Alewife (quicker and more convenient but $7 a day) or (2) take the 77 to Porter or Harvard in the morning, which can be done on the same $59 monthly pass you'd use for the Red Line (they count as local buses).

If you opt for the bus, I'd suggest the 77 in the morning and then taking the Red Line all the way to Alewife for the 79 when you come home. The 79 does not run as frequently, but it will encounter less traffic. The 77 bus in the late afternoon/early evening can be slow since Mass. Av. traffic in Cambridge backs up.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:02 PM

thanks soo much for your reply!

Old 04-15-2009, 01:49 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,421,445 times
Thumbs up Save time and money - take the 87 bus (park for free)

I would suggest taking the 87 bus from Arlington

You can park for free all day on many parts of Broadway
and some of the side streets that border Broadway.

I have done it many times and its a hiddden secret among residents and people in nearby communities.

If you are coming home before

7:30pm you don't have to worry about where you park on Broadway as it stops at all stops Outbound

if you're staying in town park closer to Clarendon Hill towers just across the Arlington Line - in Somerville-
from a couple of the side-streets in Arlington or on Broadway

if you're staying in town later, you could park on the side streets like Cleveland St. -Winter St. Oxford or N Union for free. - or on Broadway around there . - and walk about 5-10 min to the Clarendon Hill Bus stop - by the Clarendon Hill towers apartments

that way when the rest of the 87 route shuts down after 7:30pm you wont be stuck walking a long way back to your cahh (car)

You could just hop the bus from Davis Sq
its about a 6-10 minute bus ride from Davis SQ to Clarendon Hill Busway
then another 5-10 min walk back to your vehicle.

would be about 20 min bus ride from Davis SQ to the rest of the route before 7:30pm

Either way its way better than trying to drive in or paying to park at Alewife, also Alewife can get backed up in the morning so even if you live in Arlington you might get stuck in Alewife traffic

Broadway Bus route is a lot better. I've never had any problems with the 87 bus line. It goes all the way to Lechemere (Cambridge Side Galleria) but takes longer, so most Arlingtonians get off at Davis and use the RED LINE into town.

Also it works out because Davis to Charles MGH is only -
4 stops :-)

A monthly "T" pass would still be worth the cost.
to pay for the bus rides and "T" itself

--Jeff--
Winchester, MA

The Davis Square-Clarendon Hill route goes till about 1AM (last bus)

Outbound 87 schedule:
MBTA > Schedules & Maps > Bus > 87 - Arlington Center or Clarendon Hill - Lechmere Station via Somerville Ave.

Inbound 87 Schedule

Keep in mind these are Weekday Schedules

Weekends service is less frequent
on "T" busses and rail

MBTA > Schedules & Maps > Bus > 87 - Arlington Center or Clarendon Hill - Lechmere Station via Somerville Ave.

Route map 87 -
http://www.mbta.com/uploadedFiles/Do...Bus/087map.pdf

The money you'd save parking for free in Arlington alone would help a lot

--Jeff-
Winchester, MA

Hope this helps

Old 04-16-2009, 07:58 PM

wow, thanks for the information! much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston