Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 06:17 AM

23 posts, read 47,940 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm coming over from England to Boston at the end of this month and stopping for 4 nights. I was just wanting peoples views on the 4 motels below. Which do you think is the best quality and in the nicest area and which is easier to access the centre of Boston from? (we don't drive so will be using public transport)

Motel 6 - Boston South - Braintree

Motel 6 - Boston - Danvers

Super 8 - Weymouth/Boston Area

Red Roof Inn Boston - Woburn

Any advice will be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 08:24 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,233 times
Braintree has a stop on the Red Line (subway) and Weymouth has a stop on the commuter rail, although I'm not sure about the proximity of those motels to the stations. Either way, you will be out there. Keep in mind also the T stops running early (12:30 for the subway, earlier for the commuter rail lines) so if you plan to stay out late, you will be paying big $$$ for cabs back.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:35 AM

284 posts, read 1,167,217 times
Just want to make sure that you understand that though they might be described as "Boston" all of these hotels are outside of Boston proper. Like Cliff said, if you want to stay out late, the cab fare would be enormous. (I'm guessing over $50, but I'm sure that not many people have tried it. Also, some cab companies will not take customers outside of the city.)

The Motel 6 in Braintree is right across the street from the Red Line station. The area leaves a lot to be desired (it's all big box stores, chain restaurants) but it's a smooth ride into the city. It's not a high quality place, but if you don't care about fancy digs and you plan on spending most of your time in the city, it should be fine.

The motel in Weymouth is not really within walking distance to the train, but you might be able to take a bus to to the commuter rail station. There's no reason to choose the Weymouth one of the one in Braintree.

I don't know about the other motels, but my guess is the one in Braintree is closest to a subway station with the shortest ride into downtown.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:45 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Welcome to Boston!

Of those hotels that you listed, I would suggest the Braintree one as it's closest to the Red Line Subway which will take you into downtown Boston in about 1/2 hour. to check out the Boston subway system, look at the MBTA website. The Motel 6 in Braintree is right near the "Braintree" stop on the Red Line branch. None of the other hotels you have listed have good access to any of Boston's Rapid Transit subways. Some may be close to commuter rail stops, but the commuter rail runs a LOT less frequently and service ends much earlier in the evening.

The hotels you have chose (I assume for cost reasons) are in VERY suburban locations and are mostly WELL outside the central city. These areas are not pedestrian friendly and are miserable without a car. The Braintree location is close enough to the subway to be useful, but the others will make for a boring few days.

I would suggest doing all that you can to stay right in town or right along a subway line. For example, the Hotel Indigo in Newton is right next to a subway station and is cheaper than downtown hotels. Also, check Best Western (NOT the Roundouse Suites) and the Holiday Inn websites as they have some good locations.

However, my BEST advice would be to use Hotwire's service. Hotwire has partnerships with 3 and 4 star hotels (FAR nicer than a motel 6) which allows them to sell unfilled rooms at EXTREMELY discounted prices. If you go to their website and punch in the dates you want to stay, it'll give you the price of a hotel in a certain neighborhood. You'll only find out the name of the hotel AFTER you pay for the room online. This is an excellent service (I use it whenever I book) for cities like Boston, Chicago, New York, Washington D.C., etc. where entire neighborhoods are excellent. I ran a quick search on hotwire and found 3 star hotels in Downtown Boston (near the Boston Common/ Theatre District) for $82/ night... that's $10 more than motel 6 for a BETTER hotel in a FAR better, central location.

I would absolutely use Hotwire and stay downtown. Boston is a very pedestrian friendly, public transit friendly city (perhaps more so than any other American city) and the motels you've listed in your post aren't in a good position to take advantage of that and you'll miss out on one of the greatest features of the city. In fact, if you still find that downtown hotels are too expensive, even for Hotwire.com, I would suggest looking at Hostels in Boston over the motels. Hostels are cheap, but they are fun and located FAR better than those motels. A motel (by name) is a motor hotel. It's designed for Automobile travelers... not for tourists relying on public transit. I think you'll miss out on the best of Boston if you stay in any of those hotels that you listed. If you MUST stay in one of those, make it the Braintree one.

Keep in mind commuting costs. While a downtown hotel may be a bit more expensive, you won't have the cab fares and transit costs (though the Subway is $2 per trip... $1.70 if you pick up a charlie card) which will certainly add up. Braintree or Weymouth to Boston by cab is close to $50 so if you're going to stay out after last call, it's going to cost a TON of money. Hostels and downtown hotels put you within walking distance to EVERYTHING. They also put you right in the midst of everything. It's absolutely the best way to stay in Boston.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:39 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
I'd think twice about the Motel 6 in Braintree. In addition to the murder-suicide last week, it's known for prostitution and drugs.

Braintree wants to clean up motel, scene of murder-suicide - Quincy, MA - The Patriot Ledger

Old 05-06-2009, 11:05 AM

284 posts, read 1,167,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I'd think twice about the Motel 6 in Braintree. In addition to the murder-suicide last week, it's known for prostitution and drugs.

Braintree wants to clean up motel, scene of murder-suicide - Quincy, MA - The Patriot Ledger
Oh man! Perhaps you should create a new list of hotels.

If cost is a major concern have you considered staying in the hostel? It's in a great area of town, within walking distance of major attractions, and very close to the T.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:55 AM

254 posts, read 586,920 times
A motel to consider is:

Super 8 Motel in Watertown
100 North Beacon St., Watertown, MA 02472

It is situated on the 70 bus line which makes frequent trips to Central Square, Cambridge.

The trip to Cambridge is usually only 15 minutes from there.

Also walking distance to the Watertown Mall with a Target's, BestBuy and Marshalls

Old 05-06-2009, 01:04 PM

74 posts, read 287,090 times
Stay away from the Super 8 in Weymouth. Like the Motel 6 in Braintree it is more of a "rent by the hour" type of place.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:13 AM

23 posts, read 47,940 times
Cheers for the replies guys, think i'm going to stay away from those hotels now! The main reason I chose them was because of the price. It just seems everywhere is so expensive compared to over here in England even the hostels!

Going to definitley look at places more in the centre of Boston now. Thanks for the links, Hotwire is going to be very useful.

I've noticed some guest houses in Cambridge, is that a nice area and close enough to the Centre of Boston?

Old 05-07-2009, 06:55 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Cambridge is great. Check the map and make sure where you're looking is close to the subway, but Cambridge is a good location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston