Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 06:51 AM

303 posts, read 1,386,264 times

Advertisements

I have traveled to Boston many times in the winter but have never been in the city on Christmas Day. I'm thinking about spending Christmas up there this year. It would be my mother and I and we do not have any family or friends. We would just be tourists.

My question is what is there to do on Christmas Day for a tourist and would there be much open (mainly restaurants)? I wouldn't mind just strolling the city. Just curious what my food options might be and what is typical. Thanks for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 08:26 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,040,258 times
There are restaurants that are open (many in hotels, lots in Chinatown as well as others--I ate at Eastern Standard in Kenmore square last Christmas). Opentable.com usually has a good list, but of course, it's too early for that. Some bars open later in the day/night. Some cafes are open (Starbucks is).It's a good day to stroll since it's so quiet...

Old 07-29-2009, 09:17 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,527,415 times
If you go to church, go to the mass at the big episcopal church on Copley Square. The Fairmont Hotel across the street has a gorgeous restaurant, the Oak Room that you might want to eat in.

We have spent christmas day in Boston for the past few years--we always see a movie and then have some kind of chinese food. Lately we've been having hot pot at Shabu Zen in Allston, which is awesome. They have a location in Chinatown.

This year we're thinking of traveling somewhere else for a change. We'll see.....

Old 07-31-2009, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the responses! My mother and I are definintly planning on spending our Christmas in Boston. Looking forward to it

Old 08-03-2009, 09:38 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,830,183 times
Yea Christmas is awesome in Boston

Old 08-07-2009, 02:36 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shihtzumom View Post
Thanks for the responses! My mother and I are definintly planning on spending our Christmas in Boston. Looking forward to it
Do you know which hotel you will be staying at? Also will
you be driving or flying to the city? You should have a great time there, Boston is fun.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:08 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
I remember walking down the middle of Boylston St - I mean literally walking down the middle of B-Street - a foot of snow - not a car in sight in either direction. Other than that - at Mom's house.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
Do you know which hotel you will be staying at? Also will
you be driving or flying to the city? You should have a great time there, Boston is fun.

I will be flying in. I will either stay at the Doubletree Downtown or the Ritz Carlton. I like to be close to the Commons. I'll stay at the Ritz if I feel like living it up!

Old 08-14-2009, 12:13 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shihtzumom View Post
I will be flying in. I will either stay at the Doubletree Downtown or the Ritz Carlton. I like to be close to the Commons. I'll stay at the Ritz if I feel like living it up!
I used to love going to the Ritz for tea with my mom around Christmas time. It's beautiful!

Old 08-16-2009, 05:14 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,416,817 times
Cool Winter idea

Why not stay for the week --and enjoy first night Boston for New Years eve? You'd probably want to make your hotel reservations quick though because New Years hotels book fast

First night is a great experience. YOu purchase a first night button and can go around to different venues in the city, there's alsoe fireworks on the common , ice sculptures, a parade, and the culmination of fireworks at midnight over the harbor.
its a pretty cool event with music , theatre, and cultural events through the city all day long
First night boston was the original first night
First Night Boston
It would make a cool trip if you got here say on the 23rd. stayed through X-mas...and left new years day or Jan 2nd or something
Could be a wickid pissah (wickid cool ) trip

If you have a car (Cahh) with you you might consider driving around the different downtowns around metro North and South--and west. They have a lot of holiday light displays in town centers and its fun to see people's decorations around the suburban neighborhoods

here's a list for "hot spots" to see in terms of christmas lights

The Commonwealth Avenue Mall in Boston is particularly pretty as is the Boston Common

Povo Boston: Tag "holiday light display" in Massachusetts from Boston

The Stone Zoo in Stoneham a small neighborhood zoo
has the annual ZOO Lights
as well
which is worth seeing
Stone Zoo's ZooLights Stoneham (781) 438-5100 - Reviews - Povo
(its closed on dec 25th though , open other days)

There's a number of holiday concerts and shows you can find by researching events online and such -and just checking out the tourist info centers or asking at the hotel you stay at.

Povo Boston: Tag "holiday show" in Massachusetts from Boston

You'll have to stop in at the Christmas Dove Store at Quincy Market - Faneuil Hall marketplace
Christmas Dove - Boston, MA

You could catch a show at the Wang theatre for the
Radio City Christmas Spectacular
Radio City Christmas Spectacular - Boston, MA, 02116 - Citysearch

Here's a picture of faneuil hall at Christmas with snow
Faneuil Hall at Christmas with Snow, Boston, MA Photographic Print by James Lemass at AllPosters.com

There's a special from Mayor Menino on half price holiday events as well
The Mayor's Holiday Special - Boston's one stop, for the holidays

IF the Bruins or Celtics are in town I'd suggest getting a ticket for the Boston Garden. I'm an usher there and its a fun time! :-)

You can also do ice skating for free at the Frog Pond on the Boston Common
A quiet stroll through Public Garden in Winter and down COmmonwealth Avenue toward dusk would be fun though be it brisk. You might catch the lights turn on on the common or commonwealth avenue.

Spend some time in the many irish pubs in the evening or catch a movie at the Lowe's theater downtown

Visit the New England Aquarium and the
New England Aquarium Home

Science Museum
Museum of Science, Boston | Home

if you're into Art, check out the MFA- Museum of Fine Arts,
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston: Home

and the Mapparium --a walk through Globe in the Christian Science Center
Mapparium® | The Mary Baker Eddy Library

Maybe take a stroll through Harvard Yard in Winter in Harvard Square, check out the Garage Mall (at Harvard Square) and the Harvard Bookstore (Harvard Coop). Grab a bite at a Harvard Cafe or something and a warm cup of tea or coffee...

Check out the FOGG art Museum and the
Harvard Art Museum / Welcome

Harvard Museum of Natural History
Home*-*Harvard Museum of Natural History

If you have a car take a ride out to Lexington and Concord. and see the Old north Bridge in Concord and the Minuteman Statue in downtown lexington. Have lunch in lexington, check out the Minuteman Museum and have dinner in Concord and explore some of the Concord shops in the early afternoon

Drive along the coast from Winthrop (check out the view of Boston from Deer Island)
Deer Island - Winthrop, MA
The Boston Harborwalk: Places To Go...: Deer Island: Deer Island HarborWalk

then drive up along Revere Beach PKWY along Revere beach up to 1A --along the Lynnway to 129 along Swampscott, to Marblehead. Have lunch at
the Landing restaurant in Marblehead
The Landing Restaurant on Marblehead Harbor, MA
A waterfront restaurant

and walk down to the old civil war fort down the street (Ft. Sewell)
Also check out Marblehead Old Burial Ground, Crocker Park, Fountain Park, and Chandler Hovey Park out on Marblehead Neck. Stop at Devereaux Beach by the causeway to watch the waves and see the city skyline

SPend a day at Salem - and check out the sites. Most museums and such close early in the winter, but the good thing is the lines are shorter, and the stores and restaurants you have all to yourself.
Check out the Seafood at Capts or FINZ in Salem on Pickering wharf.

Check out the Peabody Essex Museum
PEM | Peabody Essex Museum
If you dont have a car you can get to Salem Via Commuter rail from N. Station

You can also get to Concord via commuter rail

Lastly get a ticket for the Holiday Pops
Holiday Pops Tickets, 2009 Holiday Pops Schedule - AceTicket.com
for Dec 20th! if you come a bit early :P

I'd also recommend on your drive through the towns to look at christmas lights you leave earlier in the day and stop in Winchester (my home town)
its a beautiful town especially when there's snow around . We have some nice shops most open till about 5-5:30pm and a beautiful mill pond with a waterfall ....(you can get to Winchester from commuter rail as well) from North Station

Anyway these would be my suggestions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston