Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 01:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,358 times

Advertisements

Hello all. A newbie to the this forum here. I know there are probably several posts that already have info about the Front Range area, but I am hoping to get some specific updated info to help in a successful relocation for me and my family.

My employer has offered me a facility manager job in Longmont (east side out by Union Reservoir). I have never been to CO before and therefore, my knowledge of the area is zero. I have a three year old and another that will be newborn at the time of my move in May. I want to find an area to live within 30 minutes of Longmont. We would prefer to buy a house, but will probably rent for 6 months before seriously pursuing a purchase.

Any info that people can provide on good places to live, commute times, or specifics of the area would be greatly appreciated.

Any other advice for newbies to Front Range would also be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 05:16 PM

377 posts, read 1,054,711 times
Can you say what you are looking for in a place to live? Will you get a chance to visit before your move?

I really like where we live: the west side of Old Town Longmont. The commute would sure as heck be a breeze for you. We like that we can walk downtown to the businesses there, cafes, restaurants, library, post office, many parks, and we love our nice old houses and trees. (None of these things might interest you!)

We were considering moving out to Portland, but decided to stay here and recently bought our new (old) house. We realized that we could never hack the weather now that we've lived in Colorado. It rains for two days and we start moaning and groaning. We've been spoiled!

Old 01-23-2011, 05:59 PM

3 posts, read 4,358 times
My wife and I are looking for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house or townhouse, preferably with some sort of yard for our kids and dog to play in. I will get at least one chance to visit, hopefully more. We just don't really know what the market is like, but from our limited searches so far, the price of rentals seems to be higher than Portland. Then again, I also have my boss telling me that the housing market is better than Portland.

Our situation is better than some, as I already have a job lined up, but as for housing and all the other aspects of cost of living, we are in the dark.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:09 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,957,954 times
I would look at renting in Longmont. You'll get a better feel for things once you visit. I thought I knew where we wanted to be as well when searching online way back when before our relocation, but that all changed once I came for a visit.

Personally, I'd veer away from the east/north east side. But that's just me.

Since there are so many options in Longmont, I would stick to the area, that way you really don't have much of a commute.

I can't really help you out in comparing cost of living - there are online calculators that can at least you a general ballpark. Although I think they will compare you to Denver - not specifically Longmont.

Old 01-25-2011, 02:25 PM

58 posts, read 166,200 times
Given the location of your job, I would consider Longmont and might even look in Firestone. But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I would look at renting in Longmont. You'll get a better feel for things once you visit. I thought I knew where we wanted to be as well when searching online way back when before our relocation, but that all changed once I came for a visit.
I agree with jkcoop. Definitely come out and get a feel for the area, the neighborhoods, commute times, etc. We visited twice before finding a place to rent in a neighborhood we liked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Personally, I'd veer away from the east/north east side. But that's just me.
Again, I agree with jkcoop. With younger children, the primary schools are somewhat hit or miss. In general, I've heard better things about schools on the southwest side of town vs. those on the northeast. We've done quite a bit of research on the SchoolDigger.com website. Ultimately, the info from that site has led us to consider a charter or parochial school given our current location (south side of town; not exceptionally good primary public school choices here). But, case in point, no matter where you live, those options exist, too.

One last thing, you might want to consider renting for a year as opposed to 6 months. In our experience, 12 month rentals are easier to find and generally less expensive (monthly payment). That option also buys you double the time to explore the town and to save more money for a down payment on a house once you do find one you like!

Good luck!

Old 01-25-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V1VrV2 View Post
In general, I've heard better things about schools on the southwest side of town vs. those on the northeast. We've done quite a bit of research on the SchoolDigger.com website. Ultimately, the info from that site has led us to consider a charter or parochial school given our current location (south side of town; not exceptionally good primary public school choices here).!
We live on the s.w. side of town. That being said, the way the lines are drawn, we are not zoned for the schools on this side.

Our son actually went to Indian Peaks Elementary. Pretty sure it doesn't get the best rating on the school sites because it's bi-lingual.

We LOVED that school. Loved the teachers, loved the mixture of kids. I can just recommend to maybe go into an elementary and take a tour, talk to teachers, etc. You might be surprised.

I'd be more worried about the middle and high school and the south side of town feeds into Sunset and then Niwot - which are excellent, excellent schools. Many want to open enroll into Niwot.

Anyway - not even sure which elementary schools you would be zoned for, but if it's either Burlington or Indian Peaks, I'd give it a thought after going in and talking to some. I can only vouch for our experience at Indian Peaks when our son was there from K-5. He's a Junior at Niwot now. There was a great sense of community, lots of volunteers, etc.

We got very lucky with the house we bought, considering we didn't have much time to choose. I love our location. But like I said, we were lucky - it could have gone really bad too! You are very right that renting really is the smartest thing when there isn't a ton of time.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:17 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,476,222 times
I live on the NE side of Longmont and I really like it there. There are a lot of residential opportunities, I have a great view of the mountains, I'm very close to two shopping areas with two large supermarkets and easy access into the centre of town as well as the east side and roads out to I-25. I don't have children so I don't know what the schools are like, but there is a KinderCare preschool in the area (http://www.kindercare.com/our-centers/).

Old 01-26-2011, 03:52 PM

724 posts, read 1,934,799 times
I've heard Longmont called Longtucky here and elsewhere. What of it? Would you classify current Longmont more a midwestern town, or a true Colorado community? Why did it get it's nickname? Just distance from Boulder?

Old 01-26-2011, 05:21 PM

625 posts, read 1,390,381 times
I think there is a mix of people in Longmont. I think the monicker comes from Boulderites referring either to a) its more conservative political and social outlook in comparison to Boulder or Denver; b) its more middle-american culture (won't find a ton of great unique restaurants, for example) or c) its more middle-class population as well as having some lower-income folks. IMO, Longmont may not be a fashionable town, but it has great housing stock near downtown, good bike trails, great access to the mountains and to road biking; a nice reservoir for boating; a great farmers market etc. ... Longmont was once a farm town but now has its share of high tech, and I would guess as more diverse population moves in, the downtown and cultural offerings will catch up. Just my opinion, but for any of its shortcomings I prefer a place like Longmont that grew from a historic old town, than a place like Broomfield or Westminster that's just pretty sprawling.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qfrost View Post
I've heard Longmont called Longtucky here and elsewhere. What of it? Would you classify current Longmont more a midwestern town, or a true Colorado community? Why did it get it's nickname? Just distance from Boulder?
I've lived here almost 12 years and have never heard that term. Colorado is in the west and to me all of it is very western, cowboy, etc. feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area