Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 04:26 AM

28 posts, read 51,460 times

Advertisements

Good Morning All,

Kindly, can anyone advise if living in this zip code assures attendance in Boulder High School?

Could parents give me an unbiased opinion (if this is possible) of quality,safety, etc. of this school.

Are there other schools I should consider for 2 teenage daughters?

Everything looks good on paper but I would like to hear from someone with experience.

Anyone live in 80301? Good, bad, and ugly would be much appreciated!

Thanking you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 10:26 AM

73 posts, read 190,970 times
We have lived in 80301 for 19 years and put two sons thru Boulder high with excellent experiences. Great Ap programs and sports and many involved parents. A bit of a liberal bent but overall very good. I believe a few areas in 80301 can go to Fairview (also excellent) but most are Boulder high.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:42 AM

724 posts, read 1,937,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wishner View Post
A bit of a liberal bent but overall very good.
'but' ? What part of embracing a liberal viewpoint would be considered uneducational? Since we may wind up in the area, I'd like to know what sort of thing we're talking about here. Too heavy on the arts? Seriously, I am curious.

Last edited by qfrost; 05-04-2011 at 10:52 AM..

Old 05-04-2011, 10:54 AM

1,260 posts, read 2,048,150 times
We currently live in 80301 and we get to choose between Fairview and Boulder High. We have a son who is in 7th grade now, so we will be researching these two schools further next year. I have a co-worker whose daughter attends Boulder High an they are very happy. That particular family's focus is on great academics and music/art program, and I gather her needs are fully met there. As always, it is what you are looking for with particular school that makes it a good or not so good fit for your child.
I'm not sure how zip code boundaries coincide (or not) with attendance areas. You are better off checking school attendance area boundaries here: School Finder

If you follow the link, you can either search by specific address (enter your city, street number, then pick out of the list of street names), or look at the school boundaries on the map.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:33 AM

OTC,

Thanks, I did look at School Finder but am presently overseas and was trying to research rental houses but had no street number only Sandpiper Circle.
We want to send kids to BHS but no time or inclination for lottery process. Hence looking where they will be sure of a slot. At least that's how I read it. Am I right, in BHS district they have to allow them entry?

Old 05-04-2011, 11:55 AM

poina,

Yes, if you live in the school's attendance area, your kids are guaranteed entrance to that school. Open Enrollment (if this is what you are referring to as lottery) is closed for 2011-2012 school year, so if you are here for the next school year and need your kids to be at certain school, you need to live in that school's attendance area.
Sandpiper circle in Twin Lakes neighborhood? sandpiper circle, 80301 - Google Maps

If this is where the rental is, you fall into dual attendance area, just like us, so can choose between Fairview and Boulder High. I like that neighborhood, BTW, we are just a mile to the west from there.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:47 PM

OTC,

That's very kind of you, Thanks!
Is there recreation in the area, bike trails, hiking, running, etc? I have a feeling it's a bit from downtown, perhaps more residential, which I like, maybe more quiet?

Old 05-04-2011, 01:50 PM

Tons of recreation. I've been injured pretty much since moving to Colorado, so I haven't tried any of the trails yet, but my husband did and he loved it.
This is truly a residential area, lives almost suburban. There is a city bus coming into the neighborhood, and Twin Lakes is actually a little better position for it than our subdivision. I think it's a 15 min ride from corner of Jay rd and 63rd street. Otherwise, it's 10-15 minutes by car to anywhere in Boulder. Definitely more space, than Boulder proper. We love our yard, coming from Ohio and being used to huge backyards . Also, friendly yet private.
I sometimes wish we would have better access to things like library or Boulder farmers market, but 15 minute drive is not a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
View detailed profiles of: