Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 07:49 AM

24 posts, read 65,994 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at Boulder Colorado as a possibility for my up and coming move. It seems like such a nice place to live from everything I have read. I just love the idea of being so close to the Rockies and mountains in general. I am currently living in New York City and I can truly say that it is not for me! I hate it and feel stuck here. I want to be somewhere I am closer to the outdoors and all the great stuff that comes with it.

The one things that scares me the most about moving to Boulder is how expensive people say it is. I still haven't finished my degree so I would basically be working in either a labor job or minimum wage of some sort. I still have at least 2 years left til I finish. Who knows, maybe I'll find a better job then minimum wage but I am just trying to be realistic. Anyways, living in New York City alone is incredibly expensive, I would assume much more than Boulder. In addition to finding a job, I will also be pulling in extra income from building websites and doing graphic design for websites as well. I'm still not sure though, moving to a new place that you have never been before is pretty scary, but I know I don't want to be where I am. I want to live in a state like Colorado! Just how expensive is it? I'm not buying a house obviously, I will be renting an apartment.

Does anyone think I would make it? I also don't have a car because I have been relying so much on the MTA metro here so that is another disadvantage I have in this. I would like to find a great place to live though because I have a wife and Daughter, who is 3, that will be coming over here in about a year or so from Europe once our petition for a visa has been accepted. I only want the best for them. Any advice or opinions?

Oh yeah, I'm a musician and produce my own music and since it seems that Boulder has a great artist community I feel Boulder is even more for me instead of places like Colorado Springs or Denver.

Last edited by AnalogMind; 08-20-2011 at 08:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 08:49 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
There are many areas outside of Boulder that are much more affordable. That being said - I wouldn't consider such a big move without having visited here before.

I sometimes think that people who have never visited this state before have a perception from pictures, etc. that isn't quite the reality. Before we moved here 13 years ago - we had only vacationed in s.w. Colorado. I'll admit - before I came here on a house hunting trip, I thought the whole state was like that - had no idea the Front Range was the way it is!

Old 08-20-2011, 08:59 AM

What do you mean exactly when you say "front range"? Sorry, I've heard this a lot but not sure exactly what it truly means.

I guess the idea I have of Colorado is taken from photos as you say. I think of Colorado as an incredibly beautiful land filled with great mountains and wonderful scenery.

I would consider moving just outside of Boulder, but I don't have a car and for the first year or so will be relying on public transit. Any advice on what to do in this situation?

Old 08-20-2011, 09:05 AM

Front Range is what is east of the mountains. It's flat - semi arid. Boulder, Denver, etc. are not in the mountains.

Public transportation is doable here. Would I want to be without a car? No, but many people do it. You'll have a tough time getting into the mountains and enjoying what there is there without a car.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:10 AM

Just to ask, what are some good small cities... that are located either closer to the mountains or in them? I'm still pretty set on visiting Boulder and moving there but always had the idea that is was very close to the Rockies.

Old 08-20-2011, 09:50 AM

12 posts, read 23,999 times
^Good luck to you. I'm moving there myself in about a month.

With regard to expenses: You should write down all of your costs and then compare that with what you expect to make. I've had an excel file with that info in it for the last couple of months.

Since you have a family, you can't afford to be broke and living on someone's couch. I can't imagine living there on minimum wage, but hopefully you're busy enough with web design to make it work. Oh, and I've been to Colorado before--the pictures are pretty accurate

Old 08-20-2011, 10:20 AM

521 posts, read 860,308 times
Sounds like you, if the right sacrifices are made, can live very cheaply while you are here and save money while waiting for your family to follow you. At the moment you're a single guy and CAN and SHOULD sleep on a couch if it means making what you want happen. You said your family won't be here for at least another year so if you really want to be here, make it happen by any means possible. Hell, the first 11 days my wife and I were here we slept on an air mattress in a strangers living room. Again, if you want it bad enough you'll make the sacrifices that need to be made to put you and your family in the situation you want to be in.

I wouldn't suggest Boulder if you are afraid about housing being expensive. There are two types of places in Boulder; nice and expensive or run down and slightly less expensive. It's not the place for a move if you're worried about cost.

That said there are plenty of other places within a half hour of Boulder that could suit you quite well. Louisville, Westminster, Broomfield, and even Denver. By coming out by yourself you are in a unique position to do what you must do to save the money you think is needed to support your family. Look for a very cheap room to rent somewhere around here then save for what you ultimately want.

I think too many people have the grand idea of moving to Colorado but they have the craziest expectations. You, my friend, like I said before, are in a unique position to make it happen if you really want it.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMind View Post
Just to ask, what are some good small cities... that are located either closer to the mountains or in them? I'm still pretty set on visiting Boulder and moving there but always had the idea that is was very close to the Rockies.
Boulder is at the base of the mountains.

Really, until you come out here and visit, it's hard to get a true grasp of the area.

You could look into towns in the mountains - but generally you'll be talking about more expensive living that won't have the public transportation you need.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:09 AM

352 posts, read 797,810 times
I would add a bit to the OP's question re: what does "Front Range" mean? If you look at a map of Colorado, find the Interstate 25 north/south corridor just east of the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. You'll see the largest concentration of people/cities in the state -- from Fort Collins in the north down through/around Greeley, Boulder, Golden, Denver, Castle Rock, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, etc., to Trinidad in the south. This is generally what is meant by The Front Range.

To the east of I-25 are the grassland plains, which are significantly different than anything else in picture-postcard Colorado (and in my personal opinion, severely underappreciated and unnecessarily maligned). See where Interstate 70 heads west out of Denver? That takes you toward, over and through the mountain areas, through jaw-dropping scenery, and on toward towns that often cater to skiiers, recreationists, and others.

This is a huge state compared to anything on the East Coast (esp. The Original Thirteen!), and includes a wide range of geological, economic, professional/work, and cultural/social options. Do your heart, your spirit, your body, and your bank balance a favor: Come on out and scout around before forming conclusions about any city, town, or area. Boulder, Breckenridge, Branson, Burlington, Battlement Mesa, Brush, and Buena Vista all start with "B" - but that's about where the similarities end.

Old 08-21-2011, 03:02 PM

399 posts, read 817,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMind View Post
Louisville, Colorado, of course, which was voted best place to live by CNN Money. Lafayette is another one. Erie is just east of Lafayette. Superior is southwest of Louisville. Longmont is northeast of Boulder and has the diagonal highway connecting the two cities.

If I had to choose between which one had the better commute, I would pick Superior or Louisville in order to travel to Boulder. South Boulder Road isn't a highway but the highways get really congested during rush hour since everyone wants to get home as quickly as possible. I like taking the small roads during rush hour which have alternative routes in case of accidents.

As for the cost of living, I only really know about Lafayette and Louisville. It definitely is less expensive to live in these two cities compared to Boulder. Boulder, of course, love their bikers and pedestrians. You could get around on the RTD (Regional Transportation District) which is the bus system for Colorado. I wouldn't depend on it though since there are a lot of college students in Boulder who take it as well. It's not a reliable source of transportation. Biking during the winter when it snows isn't such a great idea on the roads too.

I highly suggest you find a daily driver vehicle with the intent to buy winter tires for your own personal security before deciding to move here. It's not as easy to get around here in Boulder county compared to New York City with their subways. I personally would finish my degree and then move here because sometimes the college classes from other colleges don't always completely transfer. Out of state tuition would hurt your long-term financial goals too. You'd have to wait a while in order to be considered a Colorado citizen by the colleges. I can't remember how long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area